Re: How do blues get here [Re: redneck74z71] #11549659 04/18/16 12:15 PM
S
Sluggo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S

See last Line - Distribution

D & B Strain Blue Catfish

The D&B strain of blue catfish got its name at the D&B Fish Farm in Crockett, which has since gone out of business. This famous strain was also shared by the Catfish Meadows hatchery, the precursor to Overton Fisheries, and continues to exist today as broodstock and fingerlings. Also know as Forktail Cats, Silver Cats, White Cats, or Humpback Blues, locally they are affectionly referred to as High-Fin Blues. We have customers all over the state of Texas that have purchased this strain from our hatchery for over 30 years. These customers are extremely loyal and just as attached to the stain as we are. It is not unusual for a customer to drive 200 miles to pick up 100 High-Fin Blues. These blue cats have the potential to outgrow channel catfish in your fishery, and they are twice the fighter. They will straighten a hook in seconds.

Species History and Development - The D&B strain of blue catfish got its name at the D&B Fish Farm in Crockett TX which is no longer in operation. This strain was developed from pure broodstock but cultivated for stocking private waters where feeding prepared fish food was sometimes used to allow for increased stocking rates. This strain was also shared by the Catfish Meadows hatchery and continues to exist today as broodstock and fingerlings at Overton Fisheries.

Average Life Span Average 20 - 25 years

Spawning Season - Spawning occurs between late Spring and early Summer when temperatures are between 70 and 78 degrees.

Growth Rate With adequate food supplies can grow from 5 pounds annually.

Maximum Size potential Not unusually for adults to reach from 30 -50 pounds in Texas private ponds and larger in lakes.

Spawning Behavior Nest (cavity) constructed by the male, often in pools and backwaters (Sublette et al. 1990; Simon 1999). Guarders; nest spawners; hole nesters. Nesting habits are similar to those of channel catfish. Nest is constructed and cared for by the parents until the young hatch in about 3 days.

Distribution Typically in the Mississippi river drainage and though-out the Central United States and West into Texas.

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: How do blues get here [Re: Kat-man-do] #11550038 04/18/16 03:35 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Kat-man-do
Originally Posted By: Sumfish
Tishomingo "govt blue" is a cross between a western blue and an eastern blue.

I saw a 90 pounder that came out of the Red River in the early 60's that looked like the bigger fish in this picture and to me it lacks the signature high fin like Cody Mullenix's fish, but it could be it is hanging in a vertical position making the dorsal fin sink in.
I have said all along that the blue catfish I came up seeing is different from the Humpback, Highfin or whatever it is referred to as.

How hard do you think that old boy would hit you if you told him he should have released those fish?

I would worry more about his wife she looks mean!! duel

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but go ahead and work on it anyway.....
Re: How do blues get here [Re: Kat-man-do] #11562313 04/24/16 07:08 PM
S
SlimyHands Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Kat-man-do
Originally Posted By: Sumfish
Tishomingo "govt blue" is a cross between a western blue and an eastern blue.

I saw a 90 pounder that came out of the Red River in the early 60's that looked like the bigger fish in this picture and to me it lacks the signature high fin like Cody Mullenix's fish, but it could be it is hanging in a vertical position making the dorsal fin sink in.
I have said all along that the blue catfish I came up seeing is different from the Humpback, Highfin or whatever it is referred to as.

How hard do you think that old boy would hit you if you told him he should have released those fish?

I would guess he's feeding lots of kids with those fish...he's probably not worried about the sport of it. He might not hit you but I bet he'd have some choice words.

Re: How do blues get here [Re: redneck74z71] #11565986 04/26/16 01:44 PM
L
Lee C Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Lived in the immediate area when Ray Roberts was first being built. Never saw it taking place, but word was that the state was stocking the local ponds as the lands were being purchased from owners. Even if only a good story, no reason some of the land owners could not have already had blues stocked in their personal ponds.

ETX Catfish
God bless and tight lines.
Retirement plan: "Fishing full time instead of part time"!
Re: How do blues get here [Re: Lee C] #11567443 04/26/16 11:15 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Lee C
Lived in the immediate area when Ray Roberts was first being built. Never saw it taking place, but word was that the state was stocking the local ponds as the lands were being purchased from owners. Even if only a good story, no reason some of the land owners could not have already had blues stocked in their personal ponds.

Those old brood ponds are still there. Great place to fish as the pond dams structure holds fish of all kinds. If you have Navionics on your fish finder it will show them.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide