Page 1 of 2 1 2
Evinrude Intruder died on me #11521557 04/04/16 09:22 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
1997 Evinrude Intruder 115 died while fishing today. Wouldn't start again. Chuck at Service Marine's best guess was a power pack. It died on me as I was coming off pad and never would start again. Sounds like it's trying to start, but Chuck tested the spark and none of the 4 plugs were getting anything. Any other opinions?

What are the symptoms of a bad power pack? Are the chances high enough that it isn't a power pack that I should let a mechanic do a diagnostic on it? Chuck also mentioned a stator or something else could be the issue, but he'd have to do a full diagnostic to know for sure. Looks like the power pack is $200-$250, so I don't want to buy one unless I'm fairly confident that's the issue.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11521619 04/04/16 09:53 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
They are a very fair shop. I would let them check it out before throwing parts at it. I take my Yamaha there now and have been impressed with everything they have done and the price.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11521648 04/04/16 10:03 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
He said they were a couple weeks out or I would have just left it. That's probably what I'll do unless someone on here can diagnose it with 100% confidence without seeing the motor.

I've taken it to Sartin Marine for the only other issue I ever had, and they treated me well too. Anthony over there is supposedly an Evinrude guru, but I've heard enough good things about Service Marine to be confident at either place. Probably will just depend who can get to it first.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11521987 04/05/16 12:46 AM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Power packs are one of the most common non-starting issues for an OMC that just quits on you for apparently no reason. No fire on all 4 cylinders is a good indication of a failed pack. Fairly cheap part, no need for a shop, easy to replace...... I always kept a spare handy when I ran a Johnson.

Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: fitter2259] #11522331 04/05/16 02:59 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: fitter2259
Power packs are one of the most common non-starting issues for an OMC that just quits on you for apparently no reason. No fire on all 4 cylinders is a good indication of a failed pack. Fairly cheap part, no need for a shop, easy to replace...... I always kept a spare handy when I ran a Johnson.
Not sure what you consider cheap, but I haven't seen this power pack for less than $200 from a reputable source.

For whatever reason, OMC changed the way this optical ignition system works from their typical method. Must be an improvement, because a VRO pump is the only thing I've had to do to this since we bought it new in 1997. Still on the OEM power pack.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11522492 04/05/16 04:37 AM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Its been many years since I ran an OMC but I know plenty of guys who still do, and I'm sure some ignition improvements were made by the time the 97' models rolled out. But like I said one of the most common non-starting issues for the variables you describe on a OMC is the pack and that's where I'd start if it was me because it still crops up from time to time with the guys I know who still run em. I used to get them for about $80-$90 or so if that tells you anything. If you can narrow it down to that then look on the bright side, you will have only spent $200 instead of putting it in the shop and spending $300. Maybe someone on here can tell you if you can take a pack in to be tested, I'm not sure about that.

Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11522996 04/05/16 03:50 PM
J
Jimfishes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had one do the same thing years ago and it was the power pack. I found a used one at a dealership that he sold me for less than $100 and I changed it out myself. He told me that if the used pack didn't work that he would give me another one. Worked perfect so I was happy.

Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: Jimfishes] #11523439 04/05/16 07:01 PM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: fitter2259
Its been many years since I ran an OMC but I know plenty of guys who still do, and I'm sure some ignition improvements were made by the time the 97' models rolled out. But like I said one of the most common non-starting issues for the variables you describe on a OMC is the pack and that's where I'd start if it was me because it still crops up from time to time with the guys I know who still run em. I used to get them for about $80-$90 or so if that tells you anything. If you can narrow it down to that then look on the bright side, you will have only spent $200 instead of putting it in the shop and spending $300. Maybe someone on here can tell you if you can take a pack in to be tested, I'm not sure about that.
Originally Posted By: Ol Man River
I had one do the same thing years ago and it was the power pack. I found a used one at a dealership that he sold me for less than $100 and I changed it out myself. He told me that if the used pack didn't work that he would give me another one. Worked perfect so I was happy.

Thanks for both of your responses.

I tested the stator last night per my service manual and confirmed that it's still good to go. I'm leaning towards buying the power pack and taking the $200 gamble. My only fear of course would be swapping the power packs only to find out that I spent $200 for nothing and I still have to send it into the shops to figure out what's wrong with it. But it sounds like a pretty common deal on these older OMC motors, and Chuck at Service Marine definitely seemed to know what he was talking about. Anyway, thanks again.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11523805 04/05/16 09:52 PM
J
jimmye123 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
I assume u have toggled the kill switch,and checked that first? Just saying ..

Fun-N-Sun Metro Director
06 Legend le21
Fast cars, fast boats,
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: jimmye123] #11523809 04/05/16 09:54 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: jimmye123

Same here I hadn't heard it mentioned, but would be my first check... cant tell you how many times I have been frustrated beyond believe I cant get a motor started and then the light bulb goes off to check kill switch... its worse when its a pull start and you arm back and shoulder hurt!

Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: jimmye123] #11524145 04/06/16 12:57 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Good question. I had not. Still didn't work, but that's happened to me before and you always end up feeling like an idiot when that fixes it. bang

Tried to start it tonight probably a dozen times. It always cranks and tries to catch, but just never picks up from there. Maybe 3 or 4 times it acted like it wanted to start, but never did. The rest of the time I just kept listening to the starter trying to get it going.

Thinking the power pack is the right answer. Hate to throw parts at the problem, but there are a limited number of things that could kill spark to all 4 cylinders at once with everything else on the engine seeming to work fine.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11525095 04/06/16 03:23 PM
J
jimmye123 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: patriot07
Good question. I had not. Still didn't work, but that's happened to me before and you always end up feeling like an idiot when that fixes it. bang

Tried to start it tonight probably a dozen times. It always cranks and tries to catch, but just never picks up from there. Maybe 3 or 4 times it acted like it wanted to start, but never did. The rest of the time I just kept listening to the starter trying to get it going.

Thinking the power pack is the right answer. Hate to throw parts at the problem, but there are a limited number of things that could kill spark to all 4 cylinders at once with everything else on the engine seeming to work fine.

So you say it tries to start, how did u verify no spark, did I quit running going across lake? Oil level switch? Have u checked spark plugs? Wet? Dry? Lots more stuff to confirm before throwing parts at it...

Fun-N-Sun Metro Director
06 Legend le21
Fast cars, fast boats,
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: jimmye123] #11526527 04/07/16 01:53 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: patriot07

So you say it tries to start, how did u verify no spark, did I quit running going across lake? Oil level switch? Have u checked spark plugs? Wet? Dry? Lots more stuff to confirm before throwing parts at it...
Chuck at Service Marine put a 4-bank tester on it to verify no spark. No need to check the plugs if they aren't getting any electricity. Oil tank is about 2/3 full, and I never got any sort of warning.

I was coming off pad when it died. Sounded fine & ran smooth right up until it shut off.

Service marine is 1.5-2 weeks out, Sartin is 4 weeks out, and Rockwall Marine is 3 weeks out. Price for the power pack at all three was $300+. I just bought one on ebay for $169 new. If I plug it in and it doesn't fix it, I'll sell it for $150 and be out $20 and send it to the mechanic. If that's a common failure item and it was Chuck's first guess and it's one of just a few parts that can cause loss of spark to all 4 plugs, then it's worth a cheap gamble to give it a shot.

- Soren Kierkegaard
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: patriot07] #11526559 04/07/16 02:11 AM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Some of those powerpacks come with a new optical sensor. Good Luck

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Evinrude Intruder died on me [Re: gary purdy] #11526598 04/07/16 02:27 AM
P
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Some of those powerpacks come with a new optical sensor. Good Luck
You were the one who guessed my VRO pump issue correctly 5 years ago. Any thoughts on how likely it is that the power pack is the issue?

If it comes with a new optical sensor, do I have to replace it or can I try it with the old one and see if it works?

- Soren Kierkegaard
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide