Page 1 of 2 1 2
bay boat for bass fishing? #11520840 04/04/16 04:21 PM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
I bought a bay boat 3 years ago due to the fact that I do a lot of salt water fishing, I still like to bass fish and my wife wanted something we could pull a tube on occasion. Other than getting used to standing at the helm versus sitting and the fact my max speed is 45mph (I never caught a bass at 70 in my Nitro bass boat) it fishes almost identical to most bass boats I've fished out of. I rarely tournament fish. I'm just curious how many of you feel the same, or who have changed over to bay boats?
I do like the cleanup much more. With a power washer, I'm done with the whole boat in 10 minutes.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11520851 04/04/16 04:27 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
A friend of mine bought a very nice bay boat after selling a Ranger. He intended double-duty (bass/bay). That lasted only a few months; now he has a Phoenix for bass fishing. He does tournament fish, and says a bay boat doesn't cut it for that, and his preferences.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11520865 04/04/16 04:32 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
I would only switch to a bay boat if bass fishing makes up less than 50% of your fishing.

The down side ... you can't really lay rods on the deck ... I guess you could, but the hard deck is a lot tougher on them than carpet. Storage for bass fishing tackle is not as good and you get blown by the wind more.

If you like to fish other species and enjoy getting to the coast more than once a year, a bay boat is definitely for you. The bay boat also makes a better family boat because of the higher gunnels. It's just a better boat for toting kids, tubes and such.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #11520920 04/04/16 04:51 PM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
I would only switch to a bay boat if bass fishing makes up less than 50% of your fishing.

The down side ... you can't really lay rods on the deck ... I guess you could, but the hard deck is a lot tougher on them than carpet. Storage for bass fishing tackle is not as good and you get blown by the wind more.

If you like to fish other species and enjoy getting to the coast more than once a year, a bay boat is definitely for you. The bay boat also makes a better family boat because of the higher gunnels. It's just a better boat for toting kids, tubes and such.

I don't lay my rods on the deck as I have 6 rodholders on the console (4 more if you count the ones behind the console seat. The only negative I've found in that setup is when fishing in heavy cover as I did in Rayburn's flooded woods. I just laid the rods down on the floor while fishing that area. Not sure I get your comment on getting "blown by the wind". I have two rod lockers in my boat and storage in the front middle for tackle etc. I run a 2012 Seafox similar to this one. It has a Carolina front end which gives me more room up front.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11520924 04/04/16 04:53 PM
I
IKELEVI Offline
Angler
Angler
I
I just went from a Skeeter to Kenner Vision. I like the higher sides for my kid. Storage is very limited but think about it. When I bass fish I have already selected my arsenal and I never use or even came close to using all the tackle I would bring. The ride IMO is much smoother and drier to boot.

17 LEGEND V20
17 MERCURY 250 Optimax ProXs
22 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 Cummins
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: IKELEVI] #11520944 04/04/16 04:59 PM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: IKELEVI
I just went from a Skeeter to Kenner Vision. I like the higher sides for my kid. Storage is very limited but think about it. When I bass fish I have already selected my arsenal and I never use or even came close to using all the tackle I would bring. The ride IMO is much smoother and drier to boot.

does that come with a free black light poster? smile

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11520961 04/04/16 05:03 PM
TxPanhandle Offline
Angler
Angler
I went from a Skeeter 21i to a 22' Bay Boat and would not go back. As for as storage goes I put everything in the bay boat I had in the bass boat and is a whole lot easier to get to and so much better ride.IMO

Retired to Fish
10 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
200 HP Yamaha Sho
Hummminbird Electronics
2015 GMC 2500HD
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: J.P. Greeson] #11520963 04/04/16 05:04 PM
921 Phoenix Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

I agree with this ^^^^^

I will say if I had to pick one boat to try and do both it would be a bay boat. Their are some bay/skiff boats that can get in some skinny water tho some in as little as 5". I would not like it has much for bass fishing as a bass boat tho, they each have their place.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11521130 04/04/16 06:12 PM
B
BassBlack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I just bought a new 22 epic bay, so far love it but the boat does catch more wind than a bass boat also I have plenty of storage and 2 rod lockers huge platform up front and back, and imo not quiet as stable side to side as a bass boat, probably because sets up higher. Also the standing up is taking some getting used to, but I've only got 4 hrs on it, and so far bring on the rough water! Smooth and DRY!

Last edited by BassBlack; 04/04/16 06:13 PM.
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: BassBlack] #11521153 04/04/16 06:18 PM
P
photofishin Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Originally Posted By: BassBlack
I just bought a new 22 epic bay, so far love it but the boat does catch more wind than a bass boat also I have plenty of storage and 2 rod lockers huge platform up front and back, and imo not quiet as stable side to side as a bass boat, probably because sets up higher. Also the standing up is taking some getting used to, but I've only got 4 hrs on it, and so far bring on the rough water! Smooth and DRY!

you bring up a good point. Never again will I be afraid of 3 ft rollers on a lake like Rayburn if the wind comes up while on the water.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11521235 04/04/16 06:53 PM
J
J.P. Greeson Offline
the janitor
the janitor
J
Originally Posted By: photofishin

I don't lay my rods on the deck as I have 6 rodholders on the console (4 more if you count the ones behind the console seat. The only negative I've found in that setup is when fishing in heavy cover as I did in Rayburn's flooded woods. I just laid the rods down on the floor while fishing that area. Not sure I get your comment on getting "blown by the wind". I have two rod lockers in my boat and storage in the front middle for tackle etc. I run a 2012 Seafox similar to this one. It has a Carolina front end which gives me more room up front.

The walking back and forth to the center console to switch rods is not nearly as effective as reaching down to switch rods at your feet. As far as being blown, there is no doubt a bay boat gets blown around by the wind more than a bass boat. Don't get me wrong, I'm on my 5th bay boat and they fit my fishing perfectly - I love bay boats. I've run a 22' Nitro bay boat (the first year they came out with a Nitro bay when Tracker Marine bought Kenner), three Skeeter 22' bays and I'm in the Skeeter SX-240 now. I've also run a few ZX 225s, a ZX 20 and a 20i, so I have definitely experienced the difference between various bass and bay boats.

If you are primarily a bass angler, stick with your bass boat.

The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be. --John Gierach

[Linked Image]
Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11521375 04/04/16 08:00 PM
176champ Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I have always owned bass boats, and my father has always had bay boats. I have fished out of them both quit a bit. The big advantage I see with a bay boat, is the higher sides, which is better when fishing with children and in rough water. But the bay boats just don't have high enough or long enough front deck for me to enjoy bass fishing out of IMO. I always find myself trying to climb higher on his bay boat.. he laughs when he see's me standing up front on top of his cooler.. lol, but again his boat is way better than mine in the bay where he fish's. They both have there places, besides sounds like you really like you bay boat so just keep it.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11521625 04/04/16 09:56 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have a very heavy 21' Robalo CC and absolutely love it. It will still draft in just over 1' of water and rides better than any other boat I have ever ridden in. It is indeed slow, but I don't fish tournaments and don't have to race anyone to where I'm going to fish. The live well could be better, but I also have a 55 gallon bait well that I can put in the boat if I really need a good live well. I doubt that I will ever own anything but a bay boat after getting used to this boat. Bass boats are great for bass fishing, but I am a multi species angler so they don't suit me.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: Txmedic033] #11521728 04/04/16 10:47 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I fished many years out of my Champion 202 before switching to a 22' Bay Boat. I never really bass fish much, its Stripers and Hybrids for me with an occasional crappie trip, so the bay boat I really like. I do miss the big deck up front when casting for whites, and the storage space is less. Also, if you have rods in the console standing up, that takes up casting space as well. And yes, you will catch more wind.

Re: bay boat for bass fishing? [Re: photofishin] #11521840 04/04/16 11:38 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
"come on out and fish with me in my Kenner" He said. "I can get into the same places you can get into with your 20 ft bass boat" He said.

Its all about how you fish (w/offshore structure fishing being the exception), I've tried fishing wooded/heavy cover areas with several guys with 19-22 ft bay boats and it's too much of a pain especially in the wind. My FIL has a sweet vission 22 but its almost impossible to put your nose in the wind and fish cover out of. All night crappie fishing......absolutely! shallow water heavy cover bass fishing.......not so much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide