Going to Lake Limestone this weekend #11511485 03/30/16 06:44 PM
J
JKR-06 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Hi All,

Myself and a couple of guys from work are camping on Lake Limestone this weekend. I will be taking my boat up there and was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on where to catch some catfish there. Does dip bait work best? minnows? shad? chicken liver? I am thinking about putting some jugs out as well. Not looking for anybody's place just some areas to try. Would like to come back with some fish smile

Thanks in advance!
Kyle

Owner - ATX Lure Company
www.atxlures.com
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Going to Lake Limestone this weekend [Re: JKR-06] #11512788 03/31/16 02:40 AM
C
Catfish Lynn Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
C
You did not note where you will be camping or dropping your boat in on the Lake. I usually camp at Running Branch Marina (owned by Darrel & Nancy). I have fished from just past what used to be Herman's Hideaway to the end of the No wake Zone. In that area, you must go about idle throttle or get a ticket. About a 15 minute put-put thru it. Once you cross the line of buoys, you are clear to cruise on. Once out of there, I have fished to the bottom corner of the main lake (Running Branch side by the Water Station there). And about out in the middle of the bottom of the lake (just be sure & do not cross No Man's Land (the line of buoys parallel near the dam), or it could be costly. Ranger Station (for 2 Lake Rangers & Game Wardens are on the right as you get to the bottom of the lake coming out of the Running Branch fork. They keep their binoculars on the buoys & when you cross them. I also have fished on the opposite side of the bottom of the lake (trotlines mainly). I may set jugs here & there, but at the bottom of the lake, if you do not stick around, they can travel very far (by way of fish). I have had them go from the No Wake Zone by Laguna Jack's & caught them just before crossing into No Man's Land. One from that area (in No Wake Zone) disappeared & was found tangled just to right before corner by water pump station. One at that corner was seen in No Man's Land. I was told by some Brazos River Authority guys that it had a 40# Blue on it. Another one from that corner crossed my trotline on the other side & had a 21# Blue on it. I have had some disappear from the Running Branch Creek corner & head across & then up lake, as far away as the second outlet heading up to the other Marina.

Be careful on the main lake side when winds pick up especially North or South ones, as it can get very treacherous very fast. That is one reason I like the Running Branch side as sometimes you can stay out of the worse winds.

As to the main lake side, Yellows are plentiful in Big Creek. I have not fished on that side nor where the river comes in. Some places are very shallow. Best to get a map to assist.

I am not into dip bait. I usually stick with perch, goldfish, big shiners, beef liver, and sometimes try some soap. For some reason, shad does not work at all for me. I think the biggest I caught on soap (Chad's- Redneck Catfish Soap) was a jugline near the RB corner by the pump station. It was about a 10 pounder.

Hope that helps some.

Lynn
aka "Catfish"
Re: Going to Lake Limestone this weekend [Re: JKR-06] #11513647 03/31/16 03:23 PM
J
JKR-06 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
Thanks for the info! We are staying at the other campground. Limestone Marina. I will have to look into the places you are talking about. Some people have told me that there is good crappie and catfishing in the north part of the lake. Guess I will just have to travel the whole lake while I am there this weekend smile

Owner - ATX Lure Company
www.atxlures.com
Re: Going to Lake Limestone this weekend [Re: JKR-06] #11516550 04/01/16 09:04 PM
R
Rathr B. Fishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I fish Limestone quite a bit...for eaters try the Big Creek arm of the lake before it narrows down and gets shallow. There are a few points on the east side, try the 3-5 FOW range. I've been catching great numbers in the 1-5 lb size, for bigger fish, try the 8-12 FOW. All I have used is fresh shad caught there on the lake. almost all blues with a few channel mixed in. Last weekend I did catch two yellows on jugs in 12 FOW, one 16 lb and the other 56 lb...kinda shocked me since it wasn't live bait. Good luck!
First time poster or I would add some pics for proof

Re: Going to Lake Limestone this weekend [Re: JKR-06] #11517991 04/02/16 09:34 PM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
i fish it a lot and any were you see stubs and trees in 1-3 feet cum and you start pulling them in we normly dont come home with less them 60 fish by one in the boat and as many as 150 doing my cheat sought and a slip cork

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide