Print Thread
Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake #11507762 03/29/16 10:30 AM
S
sarge Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
It has been 10+ years since I have fished this lake. My grandfather has some land out in this area and thought about going and visiting him in a few weeks and thought I would go and fish this lake like old times.

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11509176 03/29/16 08:38 PM
A
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
A
I have not been out there in about a year but if the last time you were there was 10 years ago you will notice a big change. Can't remember when exactly but TPW killed off ALL the grass so there is absolutely no u/w grass in the lake. The last two times I has there only caught maybe 2 dinks.

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: Allen Bass Fisher] #11510133 03/30/16 03:29 AM
S
sarge Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Thanks, wonder why they went and did that? I know the last time I was out there I heard that the carp or something like that was taking over the lake and killing off all the bass and cats.

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11513321 03/31/16 01:27 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Fished Purtis for a few hours this week. Caught several bass on black/blue jigs fished really slow in about 2-3 foot of water in the back 1/3 of small creeks. Bluegill pattern 1/2 ounce spinnerbait with Indiana/Colorado blades has produced pretty well. Fish it moderate to slow along the outside edge of vegetation. Yes I said vegetation...there is some species of weed growing out from the shoreline into about 1-2 foot of water and bass are holding in it. You may have to cover a hundred yards at a time before getting bit but they are there. If the spinner isn't working try slow swimming a 6" lizard along the weed edge. Haven't gotten any hits on cranks or traps yet...maybe next month the active bite will pick up. Water temp is in the low 60's and stained to muddy after all the rains...no moss to filter things doesn't help. Blue cats are abundant...I catch them on bass lures all the time. Anyway, there are lots of carp and other roughfish...TP&W should really start thinking about holding a few bow fishing tournaments on Purtis. Love this little lake not just for the fishing alone. Lots of wildlife coming down to the water for a meal or a drink and birds galore...eagles, ducks, geese, loons and just about every wild bird you can think of. Oh...might mention the snakes, too, not a lot of them but they are active this time of year so be safe. Keep thinking good thoughts and good luck.

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11514212 03/31/16 07:34 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Purtis Creek is one of the more puzzling management moves by TPWD in my opinion. I have always understood(not necessarily agreed) the pressure they have been under by property owners, pleasure boaters...to get rid of choking hydrilla on reservoirs. But to totally eradicate it on a idle speed only small lake designed spacifically for fishing? For years I have not been able to figure that one out. Oh well, people always forget to consult with me before doing stupid stuff! :-)

Last edited by 361V; 04/01/16 09:19 PM.
Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: 361V] #11514222 03/31/16 07:38 PM
N
nitroslim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
Originally Posted By: 361V
Purtis Creek is one of the more puzzling management moves by TPWD in my opinion. I have always understood(not necessarily agreed) the pressure they have been under by property owners, pleasure boaters...to get rid of choking hydrilla on reservoirs. But to totally eradicate it on a idle speed only small lake designed spacifically for fishing? For years I have not been able that one out. Oh well, people always forget to consult with me before doing stupid stuff! :-)

I will be sure to call you before I make my next stupid move. grin

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11516533 04/01/16 08:51 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The end of the aquatic vegetation in Purtis Creek was caused by a combination of things. Spraying to control hydrilla, introduction of grass carp, and a huge flood of water. Unfortunately all 3 things happened during the same year. End result...serious degradation of a great little bass fishery. I would like to see TP&W allow bow fishing tournaments to control the gar and carp population....I think that's how bow fishing tournaments work...only roughfish, right??? Anyway, they have been trying to introduce native aquatic vegetation for a while with limited results. If they ever succeed it would be a huge boost to the bass fishing on that lake. Back in the day the water was almost gin clear, now its like chocolate milk, all year long. The right amount of aquatic vegetation improves the water quality...right? I'm guessing here??

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: Bois d'arc] #11516625 04/01/16 09:39 PM
361V Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: boisarc
The end of the aquatic vegetation in Purtis Creek was caused by a combination of things. Spraying to control hydrilla, introduction of grass carp, and a huge flood of water. Unfortunately all 3 things happened during the same year. End result...serious degradation of a great little bass fishery. I would like to see TP&W allow bow fishing tournaments to control the gar and carp population....I think that's how bow fishing tournaments work...only roughfish, right??? Anyway, they have been trying to introduce native aquatic vegetation for a while with limited results. If they ever succeed it would be a huge boost to the bass fishing on that lake. Back in the day the water was almost gin clear, now its like chocolate milk, all year long. The right amount of aquatic vegetation improves the water quality...right? I'm guessing here??
Good guess! Grass filters out and makes for clearer water. Not that deep/rocky lakes can't have clear water without grass but for our typical East Texas type reservoirs a bunch of hydrillia makes the water WAY clearer. Dating myself here but there was a time in the 80's that Cedar Creek was choked with hydrillia...and pretty clear water. Used to bed fish Houston County Lake every spring because of the big fish and clear water...before the grass was eradicated. Purtis Creek definatly had good water quality/clarity when it had grass.

Last edited by 361V; 04/01/16 09:41 PM.
Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11522895 04/05/16 02:57 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The water clarity is particularly off this year, with all the rains. Hoping it will improve later this year. Visibility is only a 12-18 inches at best. I've been having some fair action fishing dark colors real slow or throwing noisy vibrating baits. Colorado or Indiana blades seem to work best on spinner baits thrown in Purtis Creek's off color waters. Here's a picture of a Stanley spinner bait I refurbished last fall and have had good results with on Purtis Creek.

Re: Hows the fishing at Purtis Creek State Park Lake [Re: sarge] #11529362 04/08/16 03:18 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Purtis Creek is absolutely one of my favorite spinner bait fishing lakes. When the light conditions are right the spinner bait bite is pretty good. With all the wind lately its a bit tough to cast very far so just keep it close, 15 to 20 foot and you're good. Water temp is in the high 60's but its really off colored so don't get in too big a hurry to get your spinner bait back to the boat. Give that bass time to zero in on the vibration and come looking for a meal. Accuracy is super important right now so put the bait on the dime and don't waste casts. These bass were landed on one of my refurbished 3/8oz Stanley spinner baits in a Crappie pattern with double silver willow blades.

Keep thinking good thoughts and good luck fishing.
TP&W should pay me to write this stuff grin

Last edited by boisarc; 04/08/16 03:23 PM. Reason: senior moment
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide