Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11515518 04/01/16 12:17 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
There is a subtle learning curve when switching over to fluoro, keeping it wound tight and neat on the spool will help to minimize the curve as will using good thumb technique throughout the cast, correct reel settings wont hurt either. With a little practice I don't think your anymore prone to backlashing with fluoro than you are using most other lines as long as you have a good "grasp" on the equipment you are using (pun intended). Meaning that if given the chance to overcome the curve fluoro wont give you anymore issues than you might already have by using mono or brade, its not the line guy's its the user.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: Ken A.] #11515521 04/01/16 12:18 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Originally Posted By: RayBob
According to what I've read fluoro is not degraded appreciably by UV and absorbs no liquids (water, chemicals) thus I don't change line near as often. Line conditioner helps lub it maybe (I use it) but it does not soften it or actually make it more supple like it does my nylon mono. I think it does backlash a bit worse. Having said that I like it. I've had no issues with knots (even palomar), it has shown itself to be pretty tough, and I find it more sensitive. Yeah that is all anecdotal. Maybe having thrown Trilene Big Game for 25 years prepared me to throw a stiffer mono. Still use my BG on topwater and SB applications but when fishing plastics I'm a fluoro guy. I'll use it for cranking too if I'm trying to get a bit more depth.

I use InvisX, mostly 12# and 15# with a couple of reels spooled in 20#. I also use some Berkley 100% and find it almost as good as the Seagar.

Fluoro does not give you more depth with a crankbait

This guy will argue with a Stop sign. It is a proven fact that fluoro will give you more depth on a crankbait. Those of us that long-line with it know this and will use it to get a 6XD down to 30 feet. Fluro sinks like a rock. Mono suspends and braid floats.

okay maybe your right

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11515617 04/01/16 01:02 PM
C
CCTX Offline
mapquest
mapquest
C
For worms and jigs, fluoro and some copolymers (like pline CXX) feel better to me than mono.
Braid has some great characteristics--it doesn't coil, crimp/bend, and casts really well.

The best of both worlds for me with worms and jigs using 12 pound line and microguides (as you mentioned) would be 20-30lb braid main line (with some mono backing) to a five foot leader of 12 pound fluoro or pline CXX

I haven't found a 12lb fluoro that is stronger than 12lb pline CXX. Fluoro is less visible than pline. Pline CXX is cheaper than fluoro.

People worry about the line to line knot as the weak point. However, from my experience, a good line to hook knot (palomar, san diego jam, doubled uni) will fail before an improved alberto line to line.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11515797 04/01/16 02:30 PM
reeltexan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I've never been a fluoro fan.

It's stiff.
It breaks easily and has poor knot strength.
And the idea that it stretches less is really debatable.

Under load Fluoro' stretches virtually the same amount as nylon based materials. However Nylon has greater elasticity - that is, it tends to recover from that stretch when load is removed. Fluoro' tends to stay elongated, and weakened as a result.

Like nylon based materials, fluorocarbon lines can stretch as little as 20% before failure or as much as 30%.

Fluorocarbon is denser than Nylon, and denser material does a better job of transmitting energy. This is perhaps why some anglers say they get a better feel when using Fluoro and perhaps where the "Fluoro doesnt stretch" misnomer comes from.

Being more dense than water, it is correct that Fluoro' essentially does not absorb water. While on paper it would seem that Fluoro' would then sink, this effect is negligible and in reality not quickly enough or with sufficient force to be of much use to most fishermen.

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11515850 04/01/16 02:59 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
At this point I use them all. Try them out and see. It's fun trying out different stuff- what's the worst thing that could happen- your line breaks!?-omg!

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: DAN-O] #11516310 04/01/16 06:37 PM
B
BigTexDrew Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: DAN-O
I use 15 lb Seaguar fluoro on most of my rods.
Same

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: Outdoordude] #11516348 04/01/16 06:53 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
Originally Posted By: 04champ
what kind of flouro are y'all using that gives you problems? I have never had an issue with kinking or fluffing or backlashing with Invisx

I've never even used line conditioner

I don't get it either. My girlfriend fishes twice a year and can cast fluoro only backlashing once or twice every 30 minutes or so. Some of you guys make it sound like fluoro is the stretchiest, yet somehow at the same time, coiliest garbage ever created to make people waste money.

And, needs to be replaced often? Give me a break, I have 12lb InvisX that has been on 4 rods that get used every weekend that is over a year old; they only get re-spooled when the mainline gets too short for a long cast from re-tying.

AMEN! Seaguar InvisX 12lb and 15lb it's a game changer..

Also, if it starts to coil up.. just give it a stretch and it's back to new.

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: reeltexan] #11516354 04/01/16 06:58 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: reeltexan
I've never been a fluoro fan.

It's stiff.
It breaks easily and has poor knot strength.
And the idea that it stretches less is really debatable.

Under load Fluoro' stretches virtually the same amount as nylon based materials. However Nylon has greater elasticity - that is, it tends to recover from that stretch when load is removed. Fluoro' tends to stay elongated, and weakened as a result.

Like nylon based materials, fluorocarbon lines can stretch as little as 20% before failure or as much as 30%.

Fluorocarbon is denser than Nylon, and denser material does a better job of transmitting energy. This is perhaps why some anglers say they get a better feel when using Fluoro and perhaps where the "Fluoro doesnt stretch" misnomer comes from.

Being more dense than water, it is correct that Fluoro' essentially does not absorb water. While on paper it would seem that Fluoro' would then sink, this effect is negligible and in reality not quickly enough or with sufficient force to be of much use to most fishermen.

To each their own.. hammer

have you ever tried throwing a spook with flouro? .. not gonna happen

and flouro is stronger per diameter ratio with mono.. with better knot strengths if tied with knots for flouro and tied correctly..

There IS a reason why every professional in the world throws this stuff as their main line..

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11517626 04/02/16 02:44 PM
reeltexan Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

That's why they make both, so we can choose.

Ain't freedom great?

"..The pleasantist angling is to see the fish
Cut with her golden oars the silver stream,
And greedily devour the treacherous bait.
Bill Shakespeare

[Linked Image]
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11517708 04/02/16 03:50 PM
B
beeflover Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Aaron Martens on the subject, see the last half of this video where he addresses spinning reels.

http://aaronmartens.com/?cat=3&paged=12

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11517758 04/02/16 04:43 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I still don't understand why more guys don't use copoly. Since the first spool of P Line CXX I bought, I haven't looked back at flouro. Now they make Voltage which is even more sensitive. Great line, strong as hell, some stretch but nothing like mono, super abrasion resistant - and sensitive.

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11518861 04/03/16 01:47 PM
S
Spring Lizard Waterdog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I have caught close to 1000 bass between 7 and 9 lbs. 12 lbs is my PB. I caught everyone of them on Stren original 17 lb. mono. Kept it fresh every 10 trips. Re-rigged after 4 or 5 big fish. I can count the times on two hands that is broke over 45 years. These fish were caught on TB in heavy brush. Too many choices theses days. I continue to use it today. I talk about it in my book I just published.
]

Last edited by Spring Lizard Waterdog; 04/03/16 01:59 PM.
Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: Spring Lizard Waterdog] #11518898 04/03/16 02:24 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog
I have caught close to 1000 bass between 7 and 9 lbs. 12 lbs is my PB. I caught everyone of them on Stren original 17 lb. mono. Kept it fresh every 10 trips. Re-rigged after 4 or 5 big fish. I can count the times on two hands that is broke over 45 years. These fish were caught on TB in heavy brush. Too many choices theses days. I continue to use it today. I talk about it in my book I just published.
]

I agree. I used Trilene XL and Stren for several years until I found out about McCoys. Now that's all I use. I have caught no where near that many lunkers but I've caught probably 200-300 in that size range, most of them on Cypress Springs at night. I have 6 over 10 with my largest also 12 pounds. Generally I rig a rod with 10 or 12 depending on cover, 2-3 with 15, and one with 17 rigged. Most of my fishing is done with 15. But obviously there are situations where lighter or stronger line is needed. I can't remember being broke off by a fish with McCoys 15. I'm sure its happened but I can't recall it. It casts great too. That's my all around favorite.

I'm amazed how fishing gear has evolved especially in the last 10 years or so. You are so right about there are too many choices. It's so not needed. All you have to do is match your rod (heavy, light, medium action etc) with corresponding line weight and corresponding lure weight. For example, you wouldn't want to throw a small square bill with a 7' heavy action rod on 17lb test. I will say a nicely engineered cranking rod sure is nice when throwing DD22's all day.

I regret missing your signing day at McKinney Saturday. I wanted to come but we had baseball. My kids both play and we were scattered as usual and tied up.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11518958 04/03/16 03:02 PM
T
TanHner36 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
i think you just need to fish the right line for your baits. but most guys or gals just have a preference. I know people that refuse to run anything but braid with a leader and others who only run fluoro or mono. I personally like fluoro because as mentioned if you spool it correctly it is much better and lasts longer. The sensitivity and the piece of mind not having to worry about my line after a snag is worth it to me.

Re: Question on Fluro or Mono [Re: TxRanger1] #11518997 04/03/16 03:23 PM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
I agree with using McCoys. Been using it since 2000 and still use it today. I have straighted #4 hooks with 15# test. I pull a 21' fully loaded 2 big guys fishing around the lake when I get hung on 20# test. It does not have much memory, it lasts forever (I have had oen reel with 17# test on it for 8 years, still good line), it has GREAT ABRASION resistance, it is smaller diameter than most mono's and it is STRONG as on ox. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, I use McCoy's Mean Green.

Thad Rains

Last edited by Thad Rains; 04/03/16 03:24 PM.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide