Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513173 03/31/16 12:18 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
Been on 5 guided trips. Never blanked. Had 3 really good trips and 2 forgettable ones. One of the forgettable ones was a free trip, but I'd have saved the time off work if I'd known the guide was going to show up an hour late and take us to 3 community holes and then back home. The other forgettable one, the guide worked his butt off and the fishing was just off. Weird February day. We caught 4 fish in the first 30 minutes before 7AM on jigs, all less than a pound. Then we didn't get another bite til 4PM. Another dink on a drop shot. It wasn't for lack of effort on the guide's part. We went out with him 3 other times and had really great trips. Unfortunately, he doesn't guide anymore.

If we had ever blanked, I would expect the guide to at least offer us something like a free half day some other time when he's not booked up. I get that he can't make the fish bite, but $500 is a ton of money to catch zero fish. If the trip was in the spring and he doesn't get totally booked over the summer, I would think a half day trip when he's less busy is a reasonable request. As long as you cover lunch and give a decent tip the 2nd time out as well, then it's kind of a win-win.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.
- Soren Kierkegaard
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: Deep Donkey] #11513238 03/31/16 12:46 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Deep Donkey
Just learned a 350.000 lesson last week. Do Not Go Out With A Multi Species Guide On A Bass Fishing Guide Trip.

Ouch. Good tip. . .

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: jbobo] #11513276 03/31/16 01:04 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: jbobo
My first guide trip was on Fork years ago. I hired a very popular guide thinking my buddy and I would have a great day. The guide fished the front from 11 o'clock position to 2 o'clock position. I was only able to cast past him 2 times. He told us to throw white spinner baits at the shoreline 25 ft. away. He caught fish after fish directly in front of the boat on a chartreuse spinner bait in 12 ft. of water.
All that was ok, until he started putting my buddy and I down for not catching any fish. That continued for the rest of the full day trip. I paid him but didn't tip. Never called him again. He is still there "guiding".

I think I fished with that guide. Once in 1987. And he was two hours late, to boot. Took us to the back of Wolf. Had the nose of the boat out of the timber where he could cast up on a flat by a couple bushes. He kept most of the boat in the woods so we couldn't cast to the flat. He proceeded to catch about a dozen solid fish on a spinnerbait, while we watched for an hour. I know several other folks who had similar experiences with this "guide". He's still at Fork but I honestly don't know how he's stayed in business.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513286 03/31/16 01:09 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I've been on 3 guide trips and was not impressed. Two times we rolled into coves and trolled the bank throwing reaction baits/pitching cover. One time we threw spoons to schools of barfish with some blacks mixed in. I can troll down the bank throwing reaction baits and pitching just like every other boat on the lake.

I would expect to hit high percentage spots during the day. Road beds, ditches, creek channels, main/secondary points, humps, brush piles, rock piles, old pond dams, etc. I will make sure to discuss this before the trip if I ever book another one. If our plan is to roll down the bank fishing, I will be disappointed.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513293 03/31/16 01:12 PM
Tristen Offline
Angler
Angler
Don't mean to hijack the post. I've never been on a guide trip and plan on doing so this summer. How much do you guys tip if you catch fish or have a good time on the water?

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513306 03/31/16 01:17 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I tip 20% of the trip cost.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: fouzman] #11513343 03/31/16 01:31 PM
Chris B Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I've never been on a guide trip. After reading about all these un named bad guide trips I don't think I will waste my money. My luck I would hire all the bad ones.

[Linked Image]
I hate photobucket.
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513352 03/31/16 01:34 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Yep...paid him and thanked him for his time and effort. He was as baffled as the next guy about the bite that day. Sometimes knowledge of a lake and a target species doesn't apply. That's fishing.

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513381 03/31/16 01:43 PM
R
reelswift Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Went on an $1200 offshore trip. It was not a good experience actually got subbed out to another outfit with no warning the trip was a failure the captain did not know how to find fish.

Team LVS34
Captain WNB
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: fouzman] #11513433 03/31/16 02:03 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: fouzman
My first guide trip was on Fork years ago. I hired a very popular guide thinking my buddy and I would have a great day. The guide fished the front from 11 o'clock position to 2 o'clock position. I was only able to cast past him 2 times. He told us to throw white spinner baits at the shoreline 25 ft. away. He caught fish after fish directly in front of the boat on a chartreuse spinner bait in 12 ft. of water.
All that was ok, until he started putting my buddy and I down for not catching any fish. That continued for the rest of the full day trip. I paid him but didn't tip. Never called him again. He is still there "guiding".

I think I fished with that guide. Once in 1987. And he was two hours late, to boot. Took us to the back of Wolf. Had the nose of the boat out of the timber where he could cast up on a flat by a couple bushes. He kept most of the boat in the woods so we couldn't cast to the flat. He proceeded to catch about a dozen solid fish on a spinnerbait, while we watched for an hour. I know several other folks who had similar experiences with this "guide". He's still at Fork but I honestly don't know how he's stayed in business.

Lets hear the name Fouzman at this point is a public service announcement so know one else waste their hard earned money on him

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513519 03/31/16 02:39 PM
F
Fish AKA Jerry Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
The worst guide trip I ever had was on Fork. I prepaid a guide and tipped him the night before. He was to take my client out while I fished in my boat. That next morning at 10 AM I see the guide taking my client in and dropping him off at the place we were staying. The guide heads back out and passes me about three hundred yards away and never even looks at me. I go in to see whats wrong with my client. He says the guides trolling motor broke so he just brought him in and called off the rest of the day. The guide kept my money and would never even return my call. This was 20 years ago. His name was Jerry R. He was a real piece of work.

FREYED KNOT

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)] #11513529 03/31/16 02:44 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
Originally Posted By: fouzman

Lets hear the name Fouzman at this point is a public service announcement so know one else waste their hard earned money on him

My experience was around 1996 or 97. But he was guiding back in the 80's.
I will not name him because he is still popular and very well known. He has been on several fishing shows and in magazine articles for years. He is a great fisherman. I will not take that away from him. He just is not a good guide or teacher.

Don't hire some one that you have heard catches fish. Hire some one that others report about that they enjoyed going with whether they caught fish or not.
When I hire a guide, I want to learn from them about the lake, the techniques they use, and how to find productive water quicker. I like to hear him say " why don't you tie on _____ and throw over by that ____ and use a ____ retrieve". Then if I don't get a bite after a bit, you might try slowing down or speeding up a little, or this or that. While describing the contours and structure for future reference when I am on my own boat.
As a guide myself now, I will tell my clients what we are doing and why. Also, why I chose this spot over another one. Maybe describing the structure that is in an area, and times of year where I have found fish in certain places, and what baits have worked in that area at certain times. Sometimes, I might even be right! lol

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513610 03/31/16 03:07 PM
S
Spring Lizard Waterdog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Any guide that has says he has never zipped has never guided!

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513689 03/31/16 03:41 PM
G
GrassProShop Jim Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
I know it's a slippery slope in this conversation, but since many of the experiences have come off of Fork, I'm wondering if any of the Fork guides are going to weigh in on this discussion......pun intended!! bolt

"Hoping to catch a double digit!"
Personal Best LMB - 8.35 pounds - Caught at Lake Picachos Mexico in 2020

Re: Has anyone ever fished with a Guide and didn't catch fish? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11513804 03/31/16 04:21 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Thats why there is only a handful of guides i would consider for fork. a few being Mark Pack, Eric Wright, Cody Malone, Lee Livensly (probably spelled wrong) and Andrew Grills there are many other great guides on the lake if you do your research and search on here for reviews you shouldn't have a problem finding an awesome guide!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide