Page 1 of 2 1 2
Questions for Phoenix owners? #11507898 03/29/16 12:27 PM
L
Loganf Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
I saw the Phoenix thread and read through most of the arguments. My question is for those who actually own or have owned a Phoenix. I know they are great boats and ride great. However what do you not like about the boat? Is there something you wish was better or done differently? Or what is something you rate the boat low on?

I'm fairly set on a Phoenix so no need to hype it up I want to know from those who actually have one!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11507914 03/29/16 12:36 PM
TallBaldCypress Online Content
Pro Angler
Online Content
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Loganf
I saw the Phoenix thread and read through most of the arguments. My question is for those who actually own or have owned a Phoenix. I know they are great boats and ride great. However what do you not like about the boat? Is there something you wish was better or done differently? Or what is something you rate the boat low on?

I'm fairly set on a Phoenix so no need to hype it up I want to know from those who actually have one!

I have a 14 921 w/ 250 pro xs for reference.

I don't like having a key. I prefer a key pad.
The cooler could be better insulated
Wish it had flush mounted bow lights
If I don't hold the gas pump just right, it burps, overflows and is a slow irritating process to refuel. But if I hold the handle in the 11 o clock position it's bearable.
I wish I had a hydraulic jackplate instead of manual. Set up seems more important, with this boat, than my Ranger. It would have been a much easier and quicker process had I not had to readjust the manual plate a few times to get it right. But set up right, it flies for a big 21' boat.
I don't like the graphics... kinda gay looking. LOL

Last edited by B. Dill; 03/29/16 12:42 PM.
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: TallBaldCypress] #11507928 03/29/16 12:41 PM
L
Loganf Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Thanks stuff like this is what I'm looking for

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11507979 03/29/16 12:56 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Mine is the 618 w/150 SHO
It is hard to put fuel in and I've had other boats with the same problem. It seems as though they have to install some type of carbon filter on the gas tank vents (epa) and they don't vent well. Don't stand in front of the tank fill or you'll get gas burped onto you.
Being the least expensive of the Phoenix line, they put a Lowrance 5X in the bow which I thought was kind of cheap but I've upgraded that.
Had a pedestal seat blow out going down the highway but Phoenix took care of it with an upgrade and brand new seat.
I don't know why most boat manufacturers don't install hour meters but I had the dealer install one. Sure helps with maintenance when you know the hours.
If you don't want it to look gay then don't tow it with a Prius. roflmao
Good luck to you.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508100 03/29/16 01:37 PM
K
kellisag Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
2012 619 w/200 SHO

-Hard to put fuel in unless you hold the nozzle upside down like noted above.(no biggie to me because my truck is the same way, im used to it.)
-Net Storage lid broke pretty quick from being stepped on. Phoenix sent me a new lid and some support brackets they put on the new models that prevents that issue.
-Side Graphics are meh.
-I'm not a fan of the lazy Susan (RTS) storage system but I hear they have an option for something different on new models.
-Back deck on the 619 is too big, would prefer to have a larger front deck. If you are looking at the 920, 921, 721 this is a non-issue.

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508165 03/29/16 02:03 PM
G
GRUMPS Offline
Angler
Angler
G
As I posted on the other the thread I have owned my 721 Pro XP 3 years this summer. They aren't many negatives in my opinion but nothing is perfect.

Fuel is slow to go in the tank and if you are in a hurry could be frustrating.
Rear rod holders in the rod box in mine (2014) are not great - they have changed them for the better in new models.
Lazy Susan is sometimes hard to turn, also improved or another option in newer models. I may put the new option in mine.
The 721 is 5" more narrow on the front fishing deck than the 900 series boats - why I stated in the other post I would get a 921 next time. When I purchased the 921 was $10m - $12m higher than the 721.

I ordered my boat and had it set up the way I wanted so I have been very happy with the boat. I would purchase another Phoenix if I traded. Customer service has been fantastic at the dealer (Shipp's in Gladewater) and the factory in Tennessee.

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508186 03/29/16 02:11 PM
Phoenix_Ed Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have a 2013 721, here are my thoughts.

Pumping gas, the key to me is to turn the handle up to 12:00, and when it stops, do not top off. Have not had it burp since I started doing this, so to me it is not an issue.
Cooler, well yes it could be better insulated. I added a plug to mine and it does well. My other solution is I use a soft-sided cooler, drop it in, keeps 10-12 waters and a couple of Gatorades good all day.
I pulled the lazy susan out, much better.
My side graphics came off, never put them back on. The new chrome graphics are much better looking.
I've had the carpet edge in a couple of places fray, my dealer took care of that for me.

Personally I think you can find something to not like in any boat. I have had mine for 3 years, came out of a Nitro. I have no intention of ever owning any other brand. Customer service has been outstanding. The 721 base package is a lot of boat for the money. I have upgraded my electronics, run dual PP, added a few odds and ends that came out on newer boats as options, and love it. If you have any direct questions, PM me. Not sure where you are, but look up an owner nearby and ask to crawl around their boat.

Good luck.

Wishin I was fishin!! ..............>(((//*>
2021 Phoenix 819 - Mercury 200 4 Stroke - Ultrex
Her name is Novia Número Cinco.
Humminbird Helix 10 Mega DI - Helix 12 Mega SI - Mega 360
PB Largemouth - 9.51 - Toledo Bend - March 2014
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508199 03/29/16 02:14 PM
PK Logistics Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
'13 920

I wish it had more of a day box like some of the other boat brands...yes, there are 2 small storage bins next to the cooler (I have a single console)

Yes, better insulation on the cooler would be nice.

BUT....I will be buying another one without a doubt.

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508246 03/29/16 02:29 PM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I agree with above, putting the gas in can be a pain in the butt, but you can fix it if you want to go into the tank compartment and take out the EPA filter it will then fill like other boats.

When the second console is in their is not much room for rods for co angler and a couple of the little storage compartments are of little value.

Thats about it for me, I didn't have the lazy Susan

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508332 03/29/16 02:58 PM
dkmore Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have a 2016 920 Pro XP
1. Tons of storage. The storage in these boats in my opinion, are designed and laid out perfectly for fishermen. I can fit more tackle and organize it better than any boat I have ever owned. The tackle box has guides for your Plano boxes both big and small. This is a far cry better than opening your box, pulling all of your Plano boxes out to find the box you're looking for. The tackle box has a snake light mounted in it that is about 3 feet long and is great for tying on in the dark. The net storage is mounted in the floor and its always out of the way. The measuring board is easily accessible which is very nice. Passenger side rod box is nice just because there is always that one partner that thinks he has to bring 20 rods with him to the lake and he can put most of them in there. The big console between the seats is really nice. You can put a lot of stuff in there and it is easy to get to. Like I said, the storage on this boat is the best I have ever seen.
2. The live wells are huge. The pump outs are nice because you don't have to pull out the pipe to pump it out. Simply hit the switch and fill your weigh bag. They also have the cull ring mounts in the lid of the live well which is real cool. No more open/close valves to keep water in the live wells.
3. The seats in these boats are designed really nice and give tons of added comfort on windy days when the lake is really rough.
4. Simple dash panel and switches. Not a lot of fancy/smancy. I like it because I don't like to feel that I am in the cockpit of an airplane. Simply start the motor and go fishing.
5. The recessed foot pedal on the trolling motor is at perfect depth. My other boats had recessed pedals but were not deep enough. I always put my weight on one leg. This boat I can actually put most of my weight on both legs and my back isn't killing me at the end of the day.
6. Very good rough water boat. It does chine walk a little if you over trim the motor. There is a happy medium with the trim and you can hit low 70's with very little chine walk. Great hole shot even with Power Poles and both live wells full. The steering is amazing at high speeds. My boat turns really smooth and the steering has a quick reaction at high speeds. The boat will push you back in the seat if you really get on it.
7. The boat has a very stable and big front deck. It is super stable with two people up front.
8. I really like one gas tank. How many times have you had to move the boat at the pump because the hose wasn't long enough to reach both sides. I also haven't had any problems putting gas in it. I don't have to turn the nozzle in any certain position to get gas in it.
9. This is the first boat trailer that I have pulled that actually has shocks on it. The comfort of the trailer not beating you to death going down the road is a major plus.
10. A huge plus to buying my Phoenix was dealing with Fun n Sun. I have bought every single boat I have ever owned from them since the 90's and not one bad experience. Their service department has always treated me fair as well. THEY ARE IN MY OPINION THE BEST DEALER IN THE COUNTRY. They do more for the fishing community than any other dealer around. They are in the business to make money but they give back more than most of the naysayers on this board give them credit for.
Go see Monte, Fain or Brad at Fun n Sun in Hurst and they will give you a demo ride and prove to you everything I have mentioned. If you see me on the water, I will be happy to give you a demo ride as well.

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11508378 03/29/16 03:12 PM
J
Jigfish Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I had the gas issue at first but since has stopped. it over flowed, back wash bad but stopped. I have not had mine long enough to see how the summer heat affects the cooler. But all in all, I love my Phoenix. Has so many extras that other brands don't have. has a built in snake light in tackle compartment, net storage and others.

Thanks,

The weak call it obsession, the strong call it dedication!
Jigfish

Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11509139 03/29/16 08:26 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Wow, that other Phoenix thread has gone crazy.
Surprised to hear about the cooler. I've not had any issues with mine...mater of fact I have bragged on how well it keeps ice.
Something I do when filling up is I keep a couple short 2x4's in the bed of the truck and I'll pull the boat trailer onto these boards so that the fill end of the tank is higher than the other end. It's a little hassle but it vents better. I used to have a Skeeter Wrangler that was the same way.

Last edited by bush hog; 03/29/16 08:27 PM.

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11509207 03/29/16 08:46 PM
M
Madman Phoenix Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I love mine. I came out of a 2014 Stratos into a 2015 919 and I can tell you that there is no comparison. I had hip replacement and needed a bigger deck,smoother ride, fishing stability and this boat gives me all of that. There is a learning curve on how to drive it but nobody says you have to drive it that fast. I don't very often. The only thing I would change is to light up the switch panel. Hard to see in the dark.

What do you throw next
2015 Phoenix 919 PRO XP
Upgraded to 2 Helix 10 Mega units
Upgraded to an Ultrex
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11509239 03/29/16 08:57 PM
C
cde21 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
Cons
Like stated above . The cooler is my biggest problem.
Although my trailer is perfect, with the tuff coat/road armor stuff, I still wish they wouldn't have put a stupid tube trailer under it. They will always rust out eventually.

Other than that, I Love the heck out of it and WILL own another one on my next boat as well.

Cody Elliott
Re: Questions for Phoenix owners? [Re: Loganf] #11509295 03/29/16 09:19 PM
L
Loganf Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Thanks for help and info guys that's what I was looking for. I saw a couple of yall didn't like the lazy Susan. I thought it was a cool idea but haven't got to mess with one yet. Why don't yall like it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide