Page 1 of 2 1 2
Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? #11504622 03/27/16 11:24 PM
W
Wylie Crappieman Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
So, I have a question. Before I spend $ I would like some feedback from those who have some TOW with these combos.

I've done a bit of reading and from what I have read, the HB/MK IPilot has issues holding spots after some time.

I've read of folks being quite satisfied with it however.

I've read raving reviews of the L/MG with the Pinpoint.

I am getting dangerously close to making a move within the next few weeks.

Feed back please?

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11504690 03/28/16 12:14 AM
T
Texag92 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
I have the Lowrance & Motorguide setup. It works very well....can't imagine not having it now. Holds very tight on spot lock. Will troll down to .1 mph (and stays steady). The 5 ft jog capability (once your spot locked) is awesome.

Previously I owned a Minn Kota with spot lock capability (No Hummingbird). The Motorguide holds much better tolerance. Not sure how the Humm / MK combo would work but based on my experience I would go Lowrance / MG.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11504786 03/28/16 12:57 AM
K
Kylefield Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Motor Guide Xi5 hands down. I can honestly say it has helped me and my fishing buddy catch massive amounts of crappie. Not having to worry about staying in place makes fishing more productive.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11504888 03/28/16 01:40 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

It is Okay to mix and match. Clearly your best choice would be Humminbird with the Xi5.

Yes the Minn Kota i-Pilot works well if you are chasing sandies ect....For holding tight to a brush pile I recommend the Xi5 over the Minn Kota i-Pilot.

Linking the trolling motor for Crappie fishing isn't required. Linking is mainly for following contour which is what the bass guys do. I guess it could be used if you are a dedicated spider rigger. I don't need my trolling motor to take me to a way point. My big motor can do that for me just fine. It is the Xi5 anchor feature that I look at the most and having my Humminbird units that are Simply, Clearly, Better IMO.

Keep in mind that the electric steer motors do not respond as fast as cable steer motors do so when fishing the trees it can be a bit tricky.

Give me a call. I would be happy to talk with you direct and answer any questions you may have.

David @ shut-up-and-fish
972 822 9285

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11504978 03/28/16 02:22 AM
W
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
You and I need to talk soon

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11505015 03/28/16 02:39 AM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I have the Xi5 and Lowrance HDS networked. I can look for brush and fish remotely from my console and then use my HDS to send the trolling motor directly to the brush piles and anchor on them. I don't have to move to the front and then try to get on top of the pile before fishing.

I believe that you should network w/ the compatible electronics or you are not using all of the available technology that you paid for w/ the Xi5. If David sold Lowrance, I believe that he would agree w/ me.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11505392 03/28/16 12:33 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I have way to much invested in Humminbird to switch to Lowrance, but didn't hesitate to switch to MG xi5 after spot locking next to a MG xi5 with my Minn Kota. He stayed on spot while I drifted 20' down wind then 10' up wind.

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Txmedic033] #11506376 03/28/16 06:35 PM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I have the Xi5 and Lowrance HDS networked. I can look for brush and fish remotely from my console and then use my HDS to send the trolling motor directly to the brush piles and anchor on them. I don't have to move to the front and then try to get on top of the pile before fishing.

I believe that you should network w/ the compatible electronics or you are not using all of the available technology that you paid for w/ the Xi5. If David sold Lowrance, I believe that he would agree w/ me.

Not the case. A simple buoy marker takes me to my point then I simply hit anchor. The reason for the Xi5 is the hold ability. Not the link ability. Plus you do not need to purchase all of the gateway and NMEA kit $325 expense to have your trolling motor take you there as all you are truly wanting is to have the anchor feature.

Humminbird: Simply. Clearly. Better

MotorGuide Xi5: Much. Much. Tighter hold on your position.

I believe we may very well see MotorGuide become compatible with Humminbird at some point as MotorGuide is not married to Lowrance as Humminbird and Minn Kota are to Johnson Outdoors. MotorGuide can conform to accept Humminbird just as they did for Lowrance and MotorGuide see's it.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11506563 03/28/16 07:55 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I have the MG Xi5 and Lowrance linked together. It is nice to get in the vicinity of a pile I want to fish, drop the TM, tell the TM which pile I want to fish and then get rods ready while the TM takes me to the exact spot. Last step - start fishing and hopefully catching. fish

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11506707 03/28/16 09:07 PM
W
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
W
Ok, that is what gets me excited.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11506823 03/28/16 10:03 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I gave away all of my buoy markers.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11507134 03/29/16 12:40 AM
S
Slewfoot Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
David do you know if a touch screen Helix or Onyx is in the works? We might be looking to change boats in a couple years and I sure like the touch screens on my Lowrance. I've seen the 360 once but it was prefishing Lavon and the fish didn't cooperate enough to feel like I knew what I was looking at!! Course in a couple years it will probably all be totally different than it is now about like other computers. They've all come a long ways from my old 1240A!!

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Slewfoot] #11507545 03/29/16 02:56 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Slewfoot
David do you know if a touch screen Helix or Onyx is in the works? We might be looking to change boats in a couple years and I sure like the touch screens on my Lowrance. I've seen the 360 once but it was prefishing Lavon and the fish didn't cooperate enough to feel like I knew what I was looking at!! Course in a couple years it will probably all be totally different than it is now about like other computers. They've all come a long ways from my old 1240A!!

Onix is currently a cross touch unit with touch screen and buttons. I am expecting Humminbird to release a touch Helix in the coming years. Humminbird updates there models every two years.

The 360 is a transducer. Not sure what more they can do to enhance it. The 360 is in a league of it's own.

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: Wylie Crappieman] #11508365 03/29/16 03:08 PM
G
GhostRider32 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
The truth is that in order for one to use all of the capabilities of the Xi5 as of today, a Lowrance is needed. People can have differing opinions (which is what they are) on what depth finder is simply. clearly. better. all they want but the actual truth is that a Hummingbird finder at this point cannot utilize all of the functions of the Xi5. It may or may not someday but as of today, the only finder to utilize all of the Xi5's functions is a Lowrance.

You can use any depth finder to guide you to a spot or drop a bouy and then hit the anchor function and it will hold but that is not utilizing the Xi5 to it's fullest capacity. Yes, you need a gateway and nmea kit which I have seen on ebay or amazon for around $250.

If you are not interested in anything more than the anchor function then any depth finder will work but if you are interested in using the Xi5 to the fullest extent then only a Lowrance will do.

Re: Humminbird/Minn Kota V Lowrance/Motorguide? [Re: GhostRider32] #11508936 03/29/16 07:00 PM
U
UJC Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
U
Originally Posted By: GhostRider32
The truth is that in order for one to use all of the capabilities of the Xi5 as of today, a Lowrance is needed. People can have differing opinions (which is what they are) on what depth finder is simply. clearly. better. all they want but the actual truth is that a Hummingbird finder at this point cannot utilize all of the functions of the Xi5. It may or may not someday but as of today, the only finder to utilize all of the Xi5's functions is a Lowrance.

You can use any depth finder to guide you to a spot or drop a bouy and then hit the anchor function and it will hold but that is not utilizing the Xi5 to it's fullest capacity. Yes, you need a gateway and nmea kit which I have seen on ebay or amazon for around $250.

If you are not interested in anything more than the anchor function then any depth finder will work but if you are interested in using the Xi5 to the fullest extent then only a Lowrance will do.

This post best answers your question.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide