Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? #11502067 03/26/16 04:48 AM
B
BigBassJake Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I'm really thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had any advice or horror stories. I'm not talking about full-time just a tourney or two.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11502260 03/26/16 12:57 PM
Ranger Z21 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
PM Rob Lay

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11502751 03/26/16 07:33 PM
B
BigBassJake Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
I couldn't find him. Does he do it pretty often?

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11502823 03/26/16 08:21 PM
M
MikeSouza Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Look up Mark Howard! Think he's fished them for the past 3 years

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: Ranger Z21] #11503271 03/27/16 01:49 AM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Ranger Z21
PM Rob Lay

Rob is in time out he should be back in a few days

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11503285 03/27/16 01:52 AM
T
Thad Rains Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
BigBassJake,

Change the time parameter to 1 month, he has 44 posts in the last month. Last on was 3/6/16. You can search like that and PM him there. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11503792 03/27/16 01:26 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: BigBassJake
I'm really thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone had any advice or horror stories. I'm not talking about full-time just a tourney or two.

What do you want to know Jake? This is my first year and it's been an eye opener. Rob gave me some great advice as well but there are some things that are tough to prepare for. One under my belt and two more coming up, I'll do my best to answer your questions but I'm limited on experience.

Earlier this month at Hartwell the fish were spawning so it probably wasn't the best time to be a co. There was a lot of bed fishing and when they have the beds pre-marked and just go from bed to bed, it takes away from the experience. However, the overall experience was awesome and to see the skill level of some of these guys was an eye opener. I was paired with a 26 year old kid (Brandon Cobb) on day two who could skip a lure under a walkway from the front of a dock.... Not one backlash and hit his target every time. It was crazy. I also thought I had fished in gin clear water but I now know I hadn't. Seeing the bottom in 20 FOW and watching bedding bass from 15 yards away was new to me and I was unprepared to say the least. Jake, if you've never bank fished at 5 mph then get ready. I never realized people went that fast.

I asked both of my pro's for advice and suggestions and they both helped me tremendously to be a better fisherman. I didn't realize how one dimensional my skill set was until the event so it has given me a lot to work on. Brandon, especially, showed me some techniques and told me ways to be a better dock fisherman and sight fisherman. Was it humbling? Absolutely. Will I do it a few more times next year? Yep.

Hope this helps,
Jackson

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11503913 03/27/16 02:41 PM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I can't speak as a co from the Tour prospective but this is the second year as a co in the Coata series.
After talking with Mark Howard at the beginning of last year, I decided to fish a year or two as a co.
Overall I have had a great experience and have been blessed with drawing some really good anglers and have made many new friends. At the Costa level, one thing you need to remember is that all boaters are not Pros, there is no pre qualification to fish as a pro you just have to pony up the $1600 entry fee.
I'm at about 50% drawing real pros. I drew Bradley Hallman, Chris McCall and Jim Tutt as well as Trevor Romans and Philip Crelia who are both really good sticks.
Like Jackson said about going fast, it may be challenging fishing behind some of these guys but I feel like you have to have the mindset that your there to learn and if you happen to catch a good bag, that's a bonus.
My goal for this season is to finish in the top 40 in points and make the no entry fee championship this fall.
I can't wait for Grand Lake in a few weeks.
If there's anything I can help with just shoot me a pm and I'll be glad to help if I can.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11503927 03/27/16 02:54 PM
Brent S Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
When fishing behind a pro, what techniques are more successful?

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: Brent S] #11504550 03/27/16 10:39 PM
Danny L. Weems Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
It really depends on how he is fishing.
I fished with a guy flipping bushes on Rayburn and was able to catch a limit by throwing a crig out behind the boat. Fished hydrilla patches right along side of my boater.
I would say that you need to have a wacky rig senko tied on most of the time and a Texas rigged soft plastic of some sort.
I also try to throw something a little different than my boater, if he's fishing a spinner bait then I'll throw a chatterbaits or an underspin.
Be prepared to break off if you get hung up much.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11504694 03/28/16 12:17 AM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Great info from Danny and he brought up a great point. Many, not all, of these guys have done A TON of preparation for that event so they have laser like focus. You are an after thought and silly me in the back of the boat...... "Oh! I got a bite!" meaning "Can you stop and let me recast really quick to that spot again?"

Ain't happening. roflmao

If you get hung up.... Tough luck. Once I got a brush pile while he was power polled down bed fishing and I pulled the boat a few inches forward in trying to break off and I was not-so-politely told NOT to do that. hammer

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: JacksonBean] #11504768 03/28/16 12:50 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Great info from Danny and he brought up a great point. Many, not all, of these guys have done A TON of preparation for that event so they have laser like focus. You are an after thought and silly me in the back of the boat...... "Oh! I got a bite!" meaning "Can you stop and let me recast really quick to that spot again?"

Ain't happening. roflmao

If you get hung up.... Tough luck. Once I got a brush pile while he was power polled down bed fishing and I pulled the boat a few inches forward in trying to break off and I was not-so-politely told NOT to do that. hammer

I have only fished with one pro with an attitude like that. He even wanted to know where I caught em in practice and then back boated me when we went there. His name was Murry. An a hole from Baton Rouge. Rest of the guys I fished with, Bertrand, Lee, Biffle, Christie, and a bad [censored] from OK named Jay were all really cool. Bertrand was the nicest. The guy would tell me as we were cranking the banks "throw over my head and shoulders if ya want to...just don't set a hook in my forehead". Lol. He even gave me some whopper ploppers that Ish Monroe custom made for him to use. So I would have the same bait he was having success with.

Maybe it's the luck of the draw. I've been really lucky and every one of them invited me to hang with them after the day a drink beers and eat bbq. Biffle even came back to our hotel with me and my link to play poker.

This is Bassmaster tour guys. Many play both series.

I dunno.

You are right about getting hung up though. I was too intimidated to tell em I was hung up. I'd set the hook into a stump hard enough to break off and act excited. Lol "dam....that was a big one......"

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11505440 03/28/16 12:58 PM
B
BigBassJake Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
B
All this is very helpful. I fished a Rayovac as a co a few years back and day one was a nightmare. The guy had been on Rayburn twice and by 1000 he was asking me if I knew anywhere to go. The 2nd day I got Tommy Dickerson, good guy.except I'm pretty sure he had BBQ chicken in his pocket. Everything I'd look up he'd be chewing on a piece lol.

I'm almost positive impact gunna fish Kentucky lake in early June. My wife said yes and I think it'll be a good experience.

Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: BigBassJake] #11505488 03/28/16 01:13 PM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I have fished 8 of those type tournaments, not one time did I feel like I drew a " Pro " all of them were very nice, I drew one kid from Iowa and he was throwing an A rig on a spinning reel with a rod that I would use to drop shot with, funniest thing I ever seen.

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone ever fished flw tour as a co? [Re: Happykamper] #11505666 03/28/16 02:19 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Happykamper
I have fished 8 of those type tournaments, not one time did I feel like I drew a " Pro " all of them were very nice, I drew one kid from Iowa and he was throwing an A rig on a spinning reel with a rod that I would use to drop shot with, funniest thing I ever seen.

And this was the FLW Tour? OMG

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide