Forums59
Topics1,039,150
Posts13,960,045
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: First boat - fiberglass or aluminum [Re: crapicat] #11498743 03/24/16 06:28 PM
M
Mcd46 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Thanks for all the information guys. I did not expect to get this much good information whenI started this topic! This has been very helpful.

I guess you are correct in the statement that I am asking too much from one boat. I am probably overestimating the different types of usage the boat will get. If I am lucky, I will probably only get the kids out in the boat 1 or 2 every every 3-4 months. I just want to make sure the stability of the boat will allow for a youg kid to be able to move around a little bit. They are still not avid fishermen/women yet, but they like seeing the fish.

I will be using this boat mainly around the Houston area, so smaller lakes/shallow water will probably be most of my time on the water. I do got up to Toledo Bend every now and again, and would like to have a boat that will at least be safe around there. I don't plan on crossing the main body, but would like to run the creeks and make it down to Housen Bay.

Tow vehicle is not an issue. I will be pulling the boat with a Poweratroke diesel.

I believe I have moved back on the fence. A mod v aluminum may fit my needs and budget. My big concern with fiberglass is upkeep and hull damage. I don't plan to torture the boat, but I will more than likely run into things while trolling.

Re: First boat - fiberglass or aluminum [Re: Mcd46] #11499432 03/25/16 12:43 AM
A
Austintatious Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Listen to crapicat!

Re: First boat - fiberglass or aluminum [Re: Mcd46] #11500368 03/25/16 01:32 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Mcd46
Thanks for all the information guys. I did not expect to get this much good information whenI started this topic! This has been very helpful.

I guess you are correct in the statement that I am asking too much from one boat. I am probably overestimating the different types of usage the boat will get. If I am lucky, I will probably only get the kids out in the boat 1 or 2 every every 3-4 months. I just want to make sure the stability of the boat will allow for a youg kid to be able to move around a little bit. They are still not avid fishermen/women yet, but they like seeing the fish.

I will be using this boat mainly around the Houston area, so smaller lakes/shallow water will probably be most of my time on the water. I do got up to Toledo Bend every now and again, and would like to have a boat that will at least be safe around there. I don't plan on crossing the main body, but would like to run the creeks and make it down to Housen Bay.

Tow vehicle is not an issue. I will be pulling the boat with a Poweratroke diesel.

I believe I have moved back on the fence. A mod v aluminum may fit my needs and budget. My big concern with fiberglass is upkeep and hull damage. I don't plan to torture the boat, but I will more than likely run into things while trolling.

If you can find one with 24in side height or better...it will take a lot wind and still be stable, even in open water...I have been in 15 ft lunds(the cheap benchseat version) with tiller steer, crossing in the middle of a 105,000 acre lake in a 30mph wind, and never lost confidence...would never have considered bow rise and side height was that big a deal before that little excursion...came away with a whole new point of view.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide