Print Thread
Fishing Report March 7-10 #11470557 03/11/16 02:42 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
What a week. Normally I wouldn't go with the predictions that were put out. Forecast winds of up to 38mph, clouds, and rain.... makes for tough fishing conditions. But I went anyway (that said, I've got a lot of time on the water in adverse conditions so I know how to be safe and my equipment is kept top notch.... all of which can fail at any time...so be careful and know what it takes to get out in conditions like that, one kayaker lost their life this week so it's very serious).

The fish are ranging pretty shallow right now when the winds are dropping and allowing them to be up on structure. I caught fish this week on shallow mud and shell, shallow mud and grass, and shallow oyster. I did find some fish deeper when the wind was howling but I couldn't stay on them... hard to drift in 30+ winds. All the fish I caught were shadowing baitfish and tended to be around the little stuff... little glass minnows and silversides. The fish are spread out right now with the Spring Transition in full effect. They are on the move across the bays right now so you may be able to find fish in just about any location which is a good thing. I caught fish this week all over the Galveston complex in areas that range from late february areas to your typical spring transition areas. The real key came down to reading the water and keying on the sign and also approaching those areas effectively. You have to approach shallow fish sorta like you are deer hunting.. approach incorrectly and they will bump off and leave. Approach with your trolling motor or drift in. If you are wading in, do so quietly and slowly.

Early in the week I used a one knocker spook in trout pattern to locate fish and then switched over to small soft plastics like little johns in golden bream. Little Johns are great because they are a smaller softplastic and the fish right now are eating small stuff like 1 inch glass minnows. I also caught a lot of fish on suspending baits worked around schools of baitfish. I was using a Rapala sub walk which I like in clear water conditions. It also works closer to the surface and the fish seemed to be looking up to strike. How can I tell, because if you worked a plastic slow and deep you wouldn't get a hit, but as soon as you worked it fast near the surface you'd get a bite or one would swipe at it. Working a plastic fast near the surface is not always an effective presentation especially if the water is less than 70 degrees... so find something to work the same water column but at a slower pace... that's where the suspending baits come in. Subwalk, mirrodine, mirro minnow, soft dine, catch 2000 etc. can all be good.

On the plastics side, little johns like mentioned above and anything smaller like paddle tail soft plastics. On dark days and muddy water through something dark and on clearer water with brighter conditions the more natural colors or pearls work great as well.

Hope that helps you guys get on some fish, get out there and have some fun.
t

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Fishing Report March 7-10 [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11471862 03/11/16 10:46 PM
L
Lindsey Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Great information. The report is much appreciated. Tight lines!

I'm not a chick.
Re: Fishing Report March 7-10 [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11483187 03/17/16 02:21 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Any time guys.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Fishing Report March 7-10 [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11490304 03/21/16 03:59 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Nice post. Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide