Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,957
Posts13,956,435
Members144,184
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? #11428472 02/21/16 04:17 PM
1crawdad Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Any ideas?

Last edited by 1crawdad; 03/01/16 01:29 PM.
Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: 1crawdad] #11488527 03/20/16 03:07 AM
D
danwill12 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Florida strain during cold fronts split their time between Disney World and Disneyland now some of your guadalupe's I'm pretty sure end up hanging around the after hours joints in Key West.

Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: 1crawdad] #11492604 03/22/16 10:56 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Cdad, like most things, it all depends. A lot of this stuff is regional and every pond is different. But, in the constrained areas of a pond, they can't go very far.

Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: danwill12] #11496150 03/23/16 06:50 PM
1crawdad Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Originally Posted By: danwill12
Florida strain during cold fronts split their time between Disney World and Disneyland now some of your guadalupe's I'm pretty sure end up hanging around the after hours joints in Key West.

Oh boy, sounds like they are traveling a great deal more than I realized!

I was trying to start an interesting discussion, I thought there were some pond experts here.
Since the post was ignored after the first few hundred views, I just deleted my original post and left it at "any ideas".
Good fishing to you.

Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: 1crawdad] #11496422 03/23/16 08:29 PM
D
danwill12 Offline
Angler
Angler
D
It is like that great tournament fisherman "Buzz Caster" said, they are shallow, or deep, or somewhere in between. You should be using a sub surface type bait. Dan

Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: 1crawdad] #11500337 03/25/16 01:22 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: 1crawdad
Originally Posted By: danwill12

Oh boy, sounds like they are traveling a great deal more than I realized!

I was trying to start an interesting discussion, I thought there were some pond experts here.
Since the post was ignored after the first few hundred views, I just deleted my original post and left it at "any ideas".
Good fishing to you.

Oh come on now, this here's 'posed to be fun.

Around my area most of the lakes and ponds have one thing in common, shallow. The differences are, either very, very muddy or alternatively gin clear and full of weeds. Sometimes you get lucky and catch one in transition. So,

No point in bass fishin' a muddy pond, just about impossible. So we look at clear and weedy or in "transition."

Most of the bigger lakes and ponds (10 acres to say 200 acres) are here for irrigation and really old, off channel with a pumping station and above grade. A levee outside a deep trench around the perimeter and a shallow flat in the middle. Some, like mine have been rebuilt to include channels, humps, islands, etc.

Right before the front the bass are usually on the downwind side (Noth shore, wind howling from the South) feeding on wounded baitfish. If islands or channels in the lake, the bass will congregate where the wind drives the water through a restriction forming a current, like between two islands.

During the front, nobody alive knows, you don't stay out around here when that's going on and live to tell the tale.

Right after with a howling North or West wind, the fish hunker down wherever its deep and protected from the wind. You can find them, making them bite something is another matter.

If you can catch it after the North wind dies down and before the South wind starts up again, and its sunny, and its happening like that in the afternoon, get out the topwaters and hit the flats.

Right as either the South wind starts but before its howling, or right after the North wind lays from a howl to a scream, and if the flats have cleared of weeds during the cold, fish them flats with a rattle trap.

For lakes elsewhere, ask somebody else.

Re: Pond Managers?: Where do bass go during the different seasons in ponds? [Re: 1crawdad] #11500670 03/25/16 03:53 PM
1crawdad Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
Thanks FB, nice post! Maybe we can get this thing back on track after all.

Originally, I was wanting to discuss seasonal movements and tendencies in ponds.
I know they are limited by the size of the pond, but they still seem to adhere to general seasonal patterns.
Winter
I tend to find them relating to the bottom mostly in the winter, and moving slowly - they are just starting to come out of this phase in my area (Memphis, TN) right now. It's still like reeling in a wet dishrag! They will be spawning here next month though.
Summer
In Summer, they often seem to suspend rather than going to the bottom during midday. They might feed in shallow water during low light, but then move out horizontally from that area without going deeper to suspend. I think a lot of the ponds in my area form thermoclines during summer-especially the ones with a little stain to the water color, but most people you talk to will be fishing right on the bottom, where there probably isn't much oxygen then.

I guess I was asking if these observations matched what the guys who manage these ponds professionally are seeing?

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide