Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Open carry while fishing? #11480675 03/16/16 01:18 PM
T
Toua Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
I've just recently moved to Texas and have a question in regards to open carry while fishing. The reason why I am asking is because while fishing last weekend with my brother, we encountered a few coyotes that were not so afraid of people. Luckily for us, there were other anglers around to help scare them away. I don't quite understand the last sentence:

-A person engaed in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premisses and the persons' residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.

If the firearm is a type used in the activity? Who uses a firearm to fish? I just want it for protection just in case. I do not have my CHL just yet and was told by a coworker I can open carry while fishing but, that last sentence concerns me. Can anyone shine some light on this? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480700 03/16/16 01:27 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Call TPWD and ask.
Maybe they will give you an honest answer IF you reach the right person.

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 03/16/16 01:28 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480703 03/16/16 01:29 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I don't believe it is legal to openly carry a handgun in Texas without a CHL or LTC. You may have a concealed handgun in your boat or vehicle, but not on your person. And double check if you are on Corps of Engineers property as many of those prohibit firearms.

You can openly carry a long gun in Texas without a permit, but not a handgun.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/index.htm

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480712 03/16/16 01:32 PM
K
Kick Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
K
Why would you have to open carry. Just carry concealed and double tap the coyote(s) if they attack.

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480715 03/16/16 01:33 PM
U
Undertaker56 Offline
Angler
Angler
U
Fouzman is right you cant open carry without a chl.. I am waiting on mine to get here. But I will never open carry....

I'm the last one to let you down!!!

Yes I am a real Undertaker..
I will give up my rod when you pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!!
Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480716 03/16/16 01:33 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
He doesn't have a CHL, so he can't legally carry concealed on his person.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480723 03/16/16 01:36 PM
bccougar Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If you do not have a CHL which is now called a LTC (license to carry), then you can not open carry period unless it is a rifle or shotgun. all hand guns require a permit for concealed or open carry (on your person) in the state of Texas. You may carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a license, but it must be concealed. Best advice, if you have questions call the Texas DPS and get clarification. Don't go to jail on hear say from your coworker!

www.anglersprotackle.com -Anglers Pro Tackle Pro staff
www.doublezzcustomlures.com -Double ZZ Custom Lures
www.mercurymarine.com -Mercury Pro Staff
www.power-pole.com -Power-Pole Pro Staff
www.midwestmarineonline.com -Midwest Marine

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480738 03/16/16 01:43 PM
T
Toua Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Exactly why I'm asking here just in case a someone knew the answer. I'll definitely ask tpwf

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: bccougar] #11480748 03/16/16 01:48 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: bccougar
If you do not have a CHL which is now called a LTC (license to carry), then you can not open carry period unless it is a rifle or shotgun. all hand guns require a permit for concealed or open carry (on your person) in the state of Texas. You may carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a license, but it must be concealed. Best advice, if you have questions call the Texas DPS and get clarification. Don't go to jail on hear say from your coworker!

I agree with getting advice from DPS, in writing...but you are not correct...I can legally carry a pistol on my person without a license under the laws...you better go back and read some more...

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: crapicat] #11480754 03/16/16 01:50 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: crapicat

I agree with getting advice from DPS, in writing...but you are not correct...I can legally carry a pistol on my person without a license under the laws...you better go back and read some more...

No you can't. Please cite the staute that permits the concealed carry of a handgun in Texas, on your person, without a license.

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: fouzman] #11480767 03/16/16 01:57 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman

No you can't. Please cite the staute that permits the concealed carry of a handgun in Texas, on your person, without a license.

On his own property, but not in public.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480772 03/16/16 02:00 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Well, since the OP stated he and his brother encountered coyotes and there were other fishermen around to help scare them off, I just naturally assumed he was talking about public property. Of course you can carry openly or concealed on your own, private property.

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: crapicat] #11480792 03/16/16 02:12 PM
T
texasbass1 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T

You can if on private property or in your vehicle (if concealed). But unless you have a LTC permit you can not carry a hand gun on your person in Texas. Please read the laws before you attempt it.

Last edited by texasbass1; 03/16/16 02:13 PM.

Pat Leach
USAF MSgt Retired
92 Procraft 180 Pro
24 Mercury 150 Pro XS 4 Stroke
Minn Kota Ulterra 80
Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: fouzman] #11480802 03/16/16 02:15 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Well, since the OP stated he and his brother encountered coyotes and there were other fishermen around to help scare them off, I just naturally assumed he was talking about public property. Of course you can carry openly or concealed on your own, private property.

And that would be the natural assumption.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Open carry while fishing? [Re: Toua] #11480821 03/16/16 02:22 PM
F
FishTheBite Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Most of the larger reservoirs in Texas are Corp of Engineer property. And per the following regulation you really are not supposed to be in possession of a fire arm unless you are legally hunting. I can think of no situation where you would ever use a firearm as a tool to catch fish. So common sense would tell us that the mention of fishing would pertain to bow and arrow and crossbows. Sorry but your coworker is wrong.

327.13 Explosives, firearms, other weapons and fireworks.
(a) The possession of loaded firearms, ammunition, loaded projectile firing devices,
bows and arrows, crossbows, or other weapons is prohibited unless:
(1) In the possession of a Federal, state or local law enforcement officer;
(2) Being used for hunting or fishing as permitted under 327.8, with devices being
unloaded when transported to, from or between hunting and fishing sites;
(3) Being used at authorized shooting ranges; or
(4) Written permission has been received from the District Commander.
(b) Possession of explosives or explosive devices of any kind, including fireworks or
other pyrotechnics, is prohibited unless written permission has been received from the
District Commander

A lot of the Corp property surrounding our lakes is available for small game hunting with a shotgun. There would be no reason why you couldn't mix the two activities. You just need the proper licenses and permits. But there are also large areas that are out of bounds for hunters.

There is no carry allowed within our state parks.

It is Texas and you could probably carry and never have an issue. But you do so at your own risk.

Just for what it's worth if I was going to carry a weapon for protection against a wild animal of any sort my first choice would be a shotgun. The odds of you having the presence of mind and marksmanship to draw a pistol and deliver a kill shot against a moving target the size of a coyote is not good IMO. But maybe you are a world class shot, I am not.

By the way, the problem of wild animals losing what we wanted to believe was an instinctive fear of man is something that some people have been discussing for at least a couple of decades now. And while a coyote, unless rabid, is probably not a threat to an adult human they would be and are a threat to children and our pets. As long as we were the top predator we were treated as such by the other predators around us. It would seem that we are losing our grip on that position.

Sorry to ramble.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide