Forums59
Topics1,039,300
Posts13,962,498
Members144,197
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11761939 08/06/16 08:02 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Thanks! Good job of meeting your goal!!

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11774506 08/13/16 08:55 AM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Up at 4am, I must be going fishing, nope....bike ride! Beauty and the Beast Tour at the winery south of Tyler....I signed up for 57 miles, but going for 64+ since its the longest route. The Beast is a 13 degree hill that is 3/4 mile long, near the end of the ride!! Hopefully I make it....little sleep, but pumped up!

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11775722 08/14/16 02:41 AM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Saw your ride, good job, that's a haul. I had a rough start to my 50 this morning, messing with the computer, slammed on the brakes, came to a complete stop and fell right over. Skint the knee and shin up, and shoulder landed in a sticker bush. Fortunately I must've called it a good ride at the right time, as I went out to the shop awhile ago to fix the computer and the front tire was completely flat.

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11775943 08/14/16 11:34 AM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
63 miles, and lots of hill climbing. Over 4 hours on the saddle and not really sore. My neck and shoulders hurt more than anything. And my ring finger knuckle. LOL! Don't know what happened to it.

I saw lot of people falling. Several ladies were jumping chains on the hills and would spin off into the grassy ditch. One guy fell in the parking lot and got dirty before it started. Well after watching the ladies fall with the loose chain, I thought how to prevent that.

Well....I'm climbing up a hill and there goes my chain....I think, I got this! I unclip one leg and my chain slips between the gears and the axle....and next I know...I'm skidding to a stop (burning up my tire one skid at a time) and WOOP there I go...to the side I hadn't unclipped. Glad it was a backroad, cause I laid it out in the middle of the road. Little blood and grease and I as ready to go. Chain was wedged in there and I yanked it out. Now for the next 5-7 miles I would have the chain skip....DOH! After pulling over a couple times I realized the chain was bent, twisted. At the next rest stop I was lucky....the owner of the Tyler bike shop had his van and some tools! LIFE SAVER! I was only 30 miles in and couldn't take much more of the chain jumping. Rode the next 30+ without any issues.

Fun ride! You got to come next year!! You can bring the wife and wine and dine her there at the winery. smile

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11775944 08/14/16 11:37 AM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
After not sleeping but 4 hours the night before, I slept like a CHAMP last night. Best sleep in YEARS!! Who knew I just need 4 hours on a bike to wear myself down enough to sleep! LOL!

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11776308 08/14/16 04:12 PM
MARKIT Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Sounds like a good ride BBT
Had a boxer pit looking dog bite my shoe this morning
Sure made it interesting and got the heart pumping for a few
Glad he gave up, and I was headed downhill a bit

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11776711 08/14/16 09:16 PM
Kingfisher196 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nice ride BBT!! I was riding into work one morning shifted gears to climb a hill and my chin broke!! Luckily my buddy had to drive past where I was. Called him and he picked me up. Went to the shop at lunch, they warranted the chain!

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11777377 08/15/16 03:20 AM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Man, what an adventure, days I ride or run in the evening, I always sleep like a rock, pretty sure the wife hates it. I'd sure like to try it, it's good timing for a warm up for the Hotter'n Hell, might see if I can swing it. Kind of ready to see some different scenery/terrain on my rides, suppose that means I need to start going a little further...

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11779284 08/16/16 03:20 AM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
How'd you feel going into mile 60? Really been thinking about going for the 100 today, pretty confident doing 60-70, but wondering how much you think you had left. Did you pack some energy bars/gels type things? It's relatively flat here, but the wind can be brutal, and of course the heat. Do you think you could've kept on trucking?

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11779751 08/16/16 03:34 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
There was 5 rest stops (about every 10 miles). I stopped at the last 4 for refill of my water and a cookie, stretch my back and legs out, use portapotty. Getting back 4 hours later....my neck was killing me. Neck and shoulders. Not sure if it was the stress of my first long ride, only 4 hours of light sleep, falling in the road, or just staying head up for 4 hours? I was thinking about asking if your neck ever hurt?

I used to have lots of neck and back pain, but in the last year of working out and not flying around in my bass boat, I never really hurt. After 4 hours I wanted to lay down and stretch out. I think had I taken some Aleve it would have been nice (will pack some in my bag along with Benadryl for random wasp sting, dang things keep hitting me...lucky no sting yet).

I think I could have kept riding. They say the key to long rides is hydration and calories for energy, since you are burning so much.

I packed 5 things of GU and several granola bars wrapped in foil (saw that on Tour de France). I bought me a little Fuel pouch to store food. Only issue with granola, don't try to eat it before a BIG HILL...the hill came before I could swallow it...and I was stuck with a mouth full for a 1/2 mile climb....dumb idea. BUT typically you could feel the calories and GU kick in when you got down. GU was taken about every 45 mins.

My feet were a little knumb, between the rough black top roads vibrating and my free shoes that are slightly too small.

Other than that, the next day those 8 miles I did was easy...no pain. Neck pain was gone. Legs felt fine. Maybe just a little tired from my deficit of 3K calories that day before.

Weather was much better too....it never got to 90 degrees by noon(cold front blew in on ride). Partly sunny and cloudy at times. Had it been hotter...the pain index would have gone up...I'd imagine.

I'm ready to push to the next distance....80-100. I want to get to 120+ eventually.

(Side note, I was not in Race Mode, I was in Tour Mode....pedaling like a race would have take more of a toll).

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11779838 08/16/16 04:17 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I got a "good" helmet...$100 job my buddy gave me...not sure if it helps or not. smile I always sort of hurt when I look up for long periods....I wonder if Aero Bars would help my shoulders...resting your elbows helps I hear. Save hands too.

My hands to get numb. I got new bar tape made by Lizard Skin .25 thickness. They make a thicker one, but our bike shop didn't have it. I do wear gloves too. I try to change my grip throughout the ride. Shaking my hands when they go numb. I got my headset tightened...it was loose to my unknowing, I think it helped too.

We were supposed to start at 7:30 with prayer and anthem, but it ran a little behind. I spent about 5-10 mins or so at each rest stop (4 total). Few stops on the road for attempted repair (5 mins each time). I was done at 12:05.....my Strava said it was 4 hours and 5 mins....with Auto Pause Feature on. 15.2 mph pace.

It was a little hectic the first 10 miles...lot of bike traffic and moving in and out. Just stay with your head on a pivot, let people know where you want, and don't let anyone clip your tire.....bad deal going that fast (seems like all the wrecks and broken collar bones are from clipped tires while riding). You will notice a few people who don't care what is around them....avoid them like the plague. Dangerous folks. I was around an old man on a gravel bike...people shoulder to shoulder and he would stand up and side pump his bike and almost hit people...then fly past people....then slow down...over and over again. So glad I finally got away from him. He reminded me of a 10 year old racing his bike in the hood. And he was darn near 70. LOL!

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11779848 08/16/16 04:24 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Good info, I deleted my first reply and did some editing. thumb Which of those GU packs were you taking, and that's smart on wrapping in foil. I've been trying out a bunch of different bars over the past several months, but around half way through a ride they're always super hot/sticky. I'll for sure be stealing that tip.

Yes my neck starts to hurt, it takes a while but it does. I've got a cheapy helmet with a visor, I need to replace so I have to raise up higher for that, and my feet will if I'm really getting it. I need to re-adjust my cleats and I think it'll fix it. Not to sound like a wuss, but more annoying than all that, I guess the thumb muscles on my palms will get tight and start burning, lol. Going back to the neck, I wonder if it's one of those things the more you ride, the stronger those muscles get and the less problem it becomes. I find when I ride I'll look up, see what's coming then just ride with my head down, but taking some alive before hand is a smart idea, probably help on all those issues.

To do the hundred, I need to be around mile 60 before 1230, (they close the remaining 40 miles) and divert everyone back to town for the 75. The ride starts at 705, but the impression I've got is we're probably going to head down to the start closer to 8 and just "cruise" through for the 75. I think the reasoning is we'll avoid all the bottle necks and crashes starting late, but I'm thinking the earlier the better... They have restops every 10 miles, which we'll stop at, so maybe if I push the pace we'll make it. 75 will be a good accomplishment, but I'd really like to finish a hundred having only been on a road bike for 5 months, I think that'd be pretty huge.

Last edited by NoconaBrian; 08/16/16 04:29 PM.

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11779917 08/16/16 04:56 PM
Nocona Brian Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
Yes I put some of that lizard skin on mine, I forget how thick it is but I think .25, old bike and new bike both have it, I really like it. I was planning on taking my bike in to have the headset looked at, as I thought it needed bearings, but watching youtube videos, it's really simple to tighten, and took the play out and fixed it. Still may take it though just to have a good run through of everything.

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11780062 08/16/16 05:55 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
https://shop.guenergy.com/collections/en...1852.1470857405
Salted Carmel is my choice flavor. Academy has them for $7.99 a box. Cheapest I found.

I do wonder about "building up the neck" too. They said that about getting used to the saddle too. That doesn't bother me anymore. My buddy who is 25 says it hurts him. I tell him he needs bike shorts, but he insist on Tri shorts (very little padding).

Re: Nice little ride this morning [Re: Nocona Brian] #11780068 08/16/16 05:57 PM
B
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
My hand pain is not in my thumb area...it's more on the outside of my palms. I think it's just how you grip the bar. Try changing positions...someone told me that, and it seems to help. My gloves to have padding. I've about wore them out...looking for another brand and style.

https://www.amazon.com/Canari-Cyclewear-Evolution-Cycling-Glove/dp/B0052R6KNM

Mine are tearing between the thumb and first finger.

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide