Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: question on top speed [Re: BigCrank+1] #11477470 03/15/16 12:12 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted by BigCrank+1
Howell has the fastest elite boat? I saw John Crews in an Eyra at the classic. Just saying. Also I just dont understand how you can make an assumption on his motor having an issue when you dont know Propshaft to Pad measurement, what prop he is running, or prop condition. duel

I already stated how it needs to be set up and what prop he needs. I also told him to check the compression, check the coils and it could possibly have an injector problem. If you would have been reading my previous post, you would have seen that.

https://www.bassmaster.com/gear/70000-boat-100
https://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/inside-elite-boats-randy-howell
^"Ask any Elite Series pro who has the fastest boat, and Howells name frequently comes up"

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xa6IiBE57qo[/video]

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: question on top speed [Re: DedShort] #11477496 03/15/16 12:24 AM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: DedShort
64 or 74 doesn't matter. I don't like to chine walk.

No disrespect, but if it's chine walking then you don't know how to drive a performance hull. Mine will chine walk with somebody behind the wheel that doesn't have experience driving one. I can drive mine with one hand wide open.

Re: question on top speed [Re: Fast Lane] #11477578 03/15/16 01:00 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Fast Lane
Originally Posted By: Allison1
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
Conpletely normal. Stop worrying and go fish

If you fish loaded like that even once a month, the holeshot is nicer than the 2mph you might see over current top end. If you fish like that once a week or half the times yoi go out, maybe even consider propping down to lower top speed than current theoretical which you will never see fully loaded like that, and just get on pad and underway quicker.

I ride in a ton of very fast boats. Very few people drive them very fast. I ride in a few very quick boats, and those guys explode put of every single spot they are in, and cruise at same averge speeds as the guys who are running "the hottest setup" and have "80mph+" rigs.

90% of anglers probably spend more time accelerating and cruising below vmax than pushing the limit of their rigs 95%+ of the time they are on the water. Keeping up with the Jones's is for checkbook warriors and dudes in free boats... And I'm not certain I have ever seen the fastest boat at the ramp win at weigh in bolt

Randy Howell won the classic in the fastest boat at the tournament;). So there you go...

But not because he had the fastest boat. From memory on his last day he went from back in the pack to the front when he turned around and fished a bridge on a hunch.

I would have thought the boat should go faster with 700 pounds of people but I don't doubt that Ken knows what he's talking about. I've several of his boats and him on the lake over the years. He knows what he speaks of. His 2002 with a Merc Drag was scary just looking at it.

But that isn't what you stated. You said you have never seen the fastest boat at a tournament win the tournament. I said Randy Howell won the classic in the fastest boat in the Elites.

I don't care what Ken has owned. I know what mine and several others will run right now today...loaded down. Something more than weight is wrong with a Triton TR21 with a 250XB that won't run but 64 mph with three people. That I can assure you. Something isn't right.

My occupation is to make things run fast. I know what it takes;)

You could be right bud. There could be something wrong with his motor. But most likely not. If it had dropped a cylinder it most likely would never break over with three guys loaded down much less run 64 mph. If you really knew about outboards you would know that.

Nobody is doubting your expertise with making things run fast bud. Take your rig out loaded down with three guys your size and a full tank & wells and tell us what she'll do. Now pull a plug wire off and tell me what she'll do. LOL

Re: question on top speed [Re: Fast Lane] #11477761 03/15/16 01:54 AM
D
DedShort Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: DedShort
64 or 74 doesn't matter. I don't like to chine walk.

No disrespect, but if it's chine walking then you don't know how to drive a performance hull. Mine will chine walk with somebody behind the wheel that doesn't have experience driving one. I can drive mine with one hand wide open.

My boat doesn't chine walk, I just know that is a common complaint with Tritons.

"Liberty is always dangerous, but it is the safest thing we have." - Harry Emerson Fosdick

Re: question on top speed [Re: DedShort] #11477901 03/15/16 02:50 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I love the chime walk deal, any bass boat that will run 75 plus will have to be driven, if the engine is too low it will walk like crazy, most people that complain about walking do not know how to drive a high performance bass boat. I have a 21 TRX with a Mercury 250 Pro XS, it is a dog IMO, I guarantee you it will run faster than any 64 with three hosses in it, two people with 30 gallons of fuel and both live wells full it will do 70, his boat is much lighter and has a hotter engine, something is not quite right with his set up, just my opinion.

[Linked Image]
Re: question on top speed [Re: Doing it for the fans since 71] #11478809 03/15/16 04:57 PM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Here is the original post.

Originally Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71
I have a 2002 Triton TR-21 with a 250 Merc XB I bought new. Today I had 3 guys total in the boat (approx. weight 600-700 lbs) and a full tank of gas. GPS top speed was 64 mph. Does that sound right? I know when I run by myself I get approx up to 10 mph diff. Just scared of the age of the motor.

My posts were in no way meant to say that anyone's boat wasn't fast as heck. My posts were only to state that losing up to 10 mph with a boat loaded down heavily was not uncommon. My guess is that most guys really don't want to admit how much slower their boat is loaded down versus empty.

My Legend loses about 10 mph the way it is currently set up. The Alpha 211 hull has never been as fast as a Triton TR 21, especially the older ones. I've owned a couple of those too. Both of them lost about 8-10 mph with a heavy load versus me solo as well. Nothing to be ashamed of. Weight robs performance.

Roger, if you say your boat will run 70 with three big guys loaded down heavy, I believe you. None of my Tritons would. LOL

Last edited by Ken A.; 03/15/16 05:00 PM.

Re: question on top speed [Re: Doing it for the fans since 71] #11479009 03/15/16 06:36 PM
F
Fast Lane Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
One Coil not firing..down one cylinder + two people + 25 fishing rods and tackle in every compartment= 67 mph. That's happened more than once..lol. It takes about 300 feet to get on plane:)

Re: question on top speed [Re: Doing it for the fans since 71] #11479108 03/15/16 07:14 PM
B
BassSAT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We sure have a lot of Rocket Scientist here...

Re: question on top speed [Re: Ken A.] #11480021 03/16/16 01:32 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Here is the original post.

Originally Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71
I have a 2002 Triton TR-21 with a 250 Merc XB I bought new. Today I had 3 guys total in the boat (approx. weight 600-700 lbs) and a full tank of gas. GPS top speed was 64 mph. Does that sound right? I know when I run by myself I get approx up to 10 mph diff. Just scared of the age of the motor.

My posts were in no way meant to say that anyone's boat wasn't fast as heck. My posts were only to state that losing up to 10 mph with a boat loaded down heavily was not uncommon. My guess is that most guys really don't want to admit how much slower their boat is loaded down versus empty.

My Legend loses about 10 mph the way it is currently set up. The Alpha 211 hull has never been as fast as a Triton TR 21, especially the older ones. I've owned a couple of those too. Both of them lost about 8-10 mph with a heavy load versus me solo as well. Nothing to be ashamed of. Weight robs performance.

Roger, if you say your boat will run 70 with three big guys loaded down heavy, I believe you. None of my Tritons would. LOL

I said my dog would run 70 with two fisherman, both wells full, I might add that it is in colder spring time and not summer. I figure if i drain those wells it would make up for another angler as far as weight goes.

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide