Print Thread
Fish Hunter 3D #11471888 03/11/16 10:56 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Time to test out some new gear that just arrived in the mail. Be back in a few with some feedback and pics (data) hopefully...

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Fish Hunter 3D [Re: MrNovice] #11472235 03/12/16 02:14 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
This sonar is definitely interesting. A little more complicated than I thought it would be, maybe sophisticated is a better word because it does lots of stuff. Some of it useful and other stuff just interesting. Anyways, here was the location I scouted pinned by gps on the unit.

I was able to photo one pass from the water into the bank, thought it was recording more but can't seem to find where it saves them to on my phone.

It did work very well to locate fish and was pinging them about 2 feet off the top in 7 - 9ft of water. Also located a channel about 30ft out where the depth drops to 11-14ft and is about 8ft wide, just as other guys there have always said there was. That looked really cool to see live as reeling in the unit over it. Fish showed up easily when located and pinged what side of unit they were on and their depth. There was a school I went over once and it pinged about 12 fish and then a few others in scattered places.

Once I work with this a little more and get familiar with it, I'll post more examples. This unit is heavy though, so casting with a heavy rod is needed. I have 80lb braided line to pull it back in, but my poles are too weak to really get it out in the water. Think I'll just switch to a spool of heavy kite twine and a winder and just throw the thing out by hand. Easy to grip like a baseball and almost as heavy, so I should be able to chunk it a good ways and probably be more effective. That's all for now.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/12/16 02:28 AM.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: Fish Hunter 3D [Re: MrNovice] #11500691 03/25/16 04:04 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Getting better at using the Fish Hunter, but keeping it connected to wifi seems tough because it has auto on/shutoff when it knows it's in the water or not. Supposed to help conserve power, but is a pain in the arse sometimes. It uses wifi instead of bluetooth, because wifi transmits data 5x faster than bluetooth for accurately reflecting live data and the range is greater.

Still pretty neat little depth finder and will take some more getting familiar with, but here are some more data pics from my favorite crappie hole:

Casting out and reeling in:

Side view of same:

The fish are there!

And here is a pic from Springfield Park pond, just to see if anything was in there. Pretty flat on the bottom as expected since it is a small pond, but there are a few fish in it...

Hopefully this data helps someone in deciding whether to purchase one of these units or not. I'm still not sure about it for the cost, but with 5 sensors I have to be getting more accurate data than just 1 sensor, which is what I was hoping for.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide