Page 1 of 2 1 2
Son wanting to take next step to lures. #11462663 03/08/16 10:00 AM
J
jagg Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
J
My son just turned 10 and really wants fish with more artificials this year. We got him a nice pair of polarized sunglasses a couple years ago ($15 Solar Bats on eBay) because he wanted to see what I was looking at underwater and understand how to fish the underwater structure. He has fished lures a couple times in the past and caught fish, but he has expressed interest in really wanting to learn how to fish them and how to feel the bite on them starting this Spring. My question is what should I start him on that will give a young and inexperienced angler confidence? I figure most of us were introduced to not only fishing but fishing with lures by our fathers or other fishing role models and have done our fair share of introductions to the next generations, so I figure collectively we have stories and instances when some lures and techniques worked and some didn't. Thanks for the help, yall!

Lure Choices
multiple choice, up to 2 choices
Votes accepted starting: 03/08/16 09:52 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11462693 03/08/16 11:59 AM
K
kjwolvy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
K
i chose jig-spinner because 1) they generally produce and 2) they're pretty much just cast and retrieve. Later you can teach him to work a plain jig.

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11462934 03/08/16 02:42 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
I choose the jig / soft plastic. I had a 10 year old fishing with me for white bass in the creeks this weekend. I taught him how to bounce a 1/16 ounce marabou jig off the creek bottom. He caught 6 white bass. Learning finesse techniques with light jigs or weightless plastic worms would be a priority for me to teach. I suspect he is already an accomplished fisherman so he should catch on quickly.

I personally would buy him a 5 weight fly rod and some betts fancy poppers. My dad bought me a fly rod and betts fancy poppers when I was 11. It was the greatest fun I ever had fishing. I didn't pick up fly fishing again until I was 50. It's still the greatest fun I have ever had.

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11462963 03/08/16 02:52 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
I started out as a kid using small spinner baits such as Rooster tails and Little Georges. I would fish the local golf course ponds. They were easy to cast and direct to a target spot. Also I have fished with "Dhogdogs" two boys on several occasions and they loved using the Curly Tail Grubs. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11463462 03/08/16 05:54 PM
F
fish shoot Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
beetle spin

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11465443 03/09/16 02:23 PM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Voted jig/spinner. I grew up on those cheap H&H spinner baits from Wal-Mart. I think they're still only a buck. They catch fish and won't hurt much to lose a few.

SD

[Linked Image]
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: Slow Drifter] #11465747 03/09/16 04:22 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Voted jig/spinner. I grew up on those cheap H&H spinner baits from Wal-Mart. I think they're still only a buck. They catch fish and won't hurt much to lose a few.

Plus #1. Still use em along with my fly rod. Love catching sunfish on artificial baits. Small spinner baits and flies.

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: J-Moe] #11465925 03/09/16 05:43 PM
C
charlief1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: J-Moe
I personally would buy him a 5 weight fly rod and some betts fancy poppers. My dad bought me a fly rod and betts fancy poppers when I was 11. It was the greatest fun I ever had fishing. I didn't pick up fly fishing again until I was 50. It's still the greatest fun I have ever had.

This is what I'd do. I got my first fly rod when I was 12 and it's very versatile. I've used live bait, jigs, flies, and a few other things that you're not supposed to use with one, but it works. I'd get one of the kits from wally world or one of the other big stores for cheap so he can learn and not have a lot in it. Once he's learned the basics then get a better one. I try to use my fly rod as much as possible because it has a habit of catching more fish as a rule, but that's just me.

I'm on other forums that deal with the old turbo powered Buicks.;)
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: charlief1] #11466078 03/09/16 06:56 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: charlief1
Originally Posted By: J-Moe

This is what I'd do. I got my first fly rod when I was 12 and it's very versatile. I've used live bait, jigs, flies, and a few other things that you're not supposed to use with one, but it works. I'd get one of the kits from wally world or one of the other big stores for cheap so he can learn and not have a lot in it. Once he's learned the basics then get a better one. I try to use my fly rod as much as possible because it has a habit of catching more fish as a rule, but that's just me.

No question, there are many situations in which a fly rod is far more successful than artificial lures. The ability to throw light flies and the improved presentation is a big advantage. I'm also more accurate, can throw it into tighter spaces and get it there much quicker if I have room to back cast.

I was fly fishing below the dam a few weeks back. I caught 8 hybrids and 20 white bass while 50 other people were fishing around me didn't catch a single one. They were throwing in on top of me with conventional gear and couldn't buy a bite. They quizzed me the entire time and even took pictures of my fly.

I still use a $20 BPS fly rod with my poppers. It doesn't have the sensitivity for subsurface flies but it works great for using top water flies.

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11469429 03/11/16 12:04 AM
Carver Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Any fly-fishing shop will have some tiny red-ants of soft plastic. They are killer on bream and a great teaching tool.

Phill Pittman

www.dallascnc.com new website for product development

www.mariner-kayaks.com Best kayak source in Texas
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11472022 03/12/16 12:10 AM
S
Slow Drifter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
There's always the "hybrid." And it works. Put a Clouser minnow with bead or lead eyes on 2 feet of line tied to the rear eye of a floating plug, like a Tiny Torpedo. Fish the plug pop-and-stop style. You get castability and if there's a fish in there the fly will get hit. For a kid I'd remove all the hooks from the plug because otherwise landing the fish can get dicey.

Last edited by Slow Drifter; 03/12/16 12:13 AM.

SD

[Linked Image]
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11473394 03/12/16 09:00 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
When I "graduated" from worms, Black and Chartreuse tubes with an unpainted jig head was the first artificial I used. Some times I would cast and retrieve other times I would fish under a bobber.

I also drop shot flies on UL gear for certain kinds of fishing.

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: fish shoot] #11473682 03/13/16 01:14 AM
J
Jon Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: fish shoot
beetle spin

For a starter lure, this is hard to beat.

I'll second the fly rod suggestion, but not sure I would go with the cheap 'kit' rod. One thing about that though, it sure makes you appreciate a nice one when you finally get your hands on one!

If you do decide to seriously consider trying him on the fly rod, I'd suggest to post the question over in the fly fishing section and see what some of the guys who teach casting say.

Like most of us, I started out on the cheap-o rod and caught plenty of fish on it, but I'm thinking a little better rod that casted easier would have sure helped me a lot in the beginning. I had hell (and still do have trouble) breaking some bad casting habits that were the result of being self-taught with a POS fly rod.

I think TFO has some entry level rods that won't break the bank. Something to think about anyway.
I also could be totally wrong about this whole line of thinking but it wouldn't hurt to ask around.

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: jagg] #11474086 03/13/16 04:17 AM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
flukes,..rigged weedless,..catches fish, and less hangups..

Re: Son wanting to take next step to lures. [Re: Jon] #11474090 03/13/16 04:19 AM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
[/quote]

I'll second the fly rod suggestion, but not sure I would go with the cheap 'kit' rod. One thing about that though, it sure makes you appreciate a nice one when you finally get your hands on one!

If you do decide to seriously consider trying him on the fly rod, I'd suggest to post the question over in the fly fishing section and see what some of the guys who teach casting say.

Like most of us, I started out on the cheap-o rod and caught plenty of fish on it, but I'm thinking a little better rod that casted easier would have sure helped me a lot in the beginning. I had hell (and still do have trouble) breaking some bad casting habits that were the result of being self-taught with a POS fly rod.

I think TFO has some entry level rods that won't break the bank. Something to think about anyway.
I also could be totally wrong about this whole line of thinking but it wouldn't hurt to ask around. [/quote]

thumb I can't argue with that train of thought. I have a TFO rod. I had to teach myself as a kid as well. That wasn't a pretty sight. Matter of fact, it still isn't, LOL.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide