texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,021
TexDawg 119,788
Bigbob_FTW 95,327
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,488
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,906
Posts13,955,085
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
does color matter? #11461897 03/07/16 11:22 PM
chickenman Offline OP
1:28
OP Offline
1:28
I always thought color mattered and really thought my color ideas were in line with what the fish want. Today was different.

-rarely put on blue but I own some
-really wanted the yella/pink one to work but it didn't
-almost always pink/black/char combo

Today, they wouldn't have any of these except the purple Big Bite in the middle hammer

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11461942 03/07/16 11:47 PM
Bobcat1 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
It only matters when it does. thumb

Bobby Barnett

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11461949 03/07/16 11:51 PM
woolyhogtail Offline
Angler
Angler
It doesn't matter as long as it's blue ice with a pink head!

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11461964 03/07/16 11:56 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I've seen times when stripers wouldn't hit a white jig unless it had red eyes.
I suppose crappie are the same way sometimes. I do believe fish have color preferences for what they are feeding on or maybe a reaction strike.
There are times nothing short of dynomite will bring them up.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: does color matter? [Re: woolyhogtail] #11462003 03/08/16 12:17 AM
HooknSlabs35 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: woolyhogtail
It doesn't matter as long as it's blue ice with a pink head!

That's my "go to bait" when nothing else is working.

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462010 03/08/16 12:22 AM
C
Catfish-hunter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Where's orange and black? Or chartreuse and black? My 2 favorite color combos down here. Also that is one pretty lady you took a picture of!

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462011 03/08/16 12:22 AM
K
Ken Gaby Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
The best answer; to quote Dutch "color doesn't matter except when it does."

I've seen far too many times when color did matter. Even changing colors when the bite slowed on a BP to something different resulted in a few more bites. And I've seen times when jig head color mattered.
There are plenty of folks who will disagree. But I won't get stuck on one or two colors and not try something else. As stated above, some days it takes dynamite.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462123 03/08/16 01:11 AM
J
Jig Man Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
Online Happy
TFF Celebrity
J
I guess that is why I carry so many different combos... hammer

Life is Good..<><

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462133 03/08/16 01:15 AM
J
JimmyA Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
If you are fishing my local impoundment, it matters to me and those "Paper-mouths"! You can catch any fish on any color, but quantity prevails!

Probing brush for crappie is my game!
Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462275 03/08/16 02:05 AM
S
Sacalait Slayer Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Fish what you are confident in. My go to is black and chartreuse

Re: does color matter? [Re: chickenman] #11462656 03/08/16 08:54 AM
G
Grainraiser Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
Years ago I was fishing for some big bluegills on Lake Palestine. If your bait did not have rubber legs on it they would not bite. We were fishing some spawning beds and those fish would let any bait without legs swim right by. Threw a rubber leg bait and they would attack it before it hit the water. That's been 22 years ago and I still remember it.

Reggie

Re: does color matter? [Re: Sacalait Slayer] #11462667 03/08/16 10:51 AM
C
crope1 Offline
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
Ronnie Hurt'em Roberts
C
welcome to the forum!
Originally Posted By: Sacalait Slayer
Fish what you are confident in. My go to is black and chartreuse

Re: does color matter? [Re: Ken Gaby] #11462750 03/08/16 12:58 PM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

I've seen far too many times when color did matter. Even changing colors when the bite slowed on a BP to something different resulted in a few more bites. And I've seen times when jig head color mattered.
There are plenty of folks who will disagree. But I won't get stuck on one or two colors and not try something else. As stated above, some days it takes dynamite.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^
I've seen this come into play far too many times to not be a believer wink

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: does color matter? [Re: Ken Gaby] #11462865 03/08/16 02:10 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

Great point Ken...I would to expand the discussion to include "bait profile", as well. This idea goes back to "match the hatch" prevalent in fly fishing circles forever. Up in the first picture, notice the different bait profiles pictured. Color was the discussion, but the different bait profiles stuck out to me. Yes, sometimes color matters, but not as often as people think. However, bait profile does matter more than people believe. Take me for example, I love the Thermocline lil Fry bait profile, the Constant Pursuit profile. My next favorite "general profile" is the crazy angler slab bandit profile...with the first two profiles, I can catch fish basically anytime fish are present. However, there are a few times each year when another profile will out catch my preferred profiles. Crazy Angler's Craws or lil rascals, Laners frog, Therrmocline slab bug, BG Shadpole, or one of the Beaver tailed offerings.

Now, while color is not critical "until it is", certain colors work better than others more often than most...If you want to figure that out, take your favorite color out fishing for a year, and if you catch fish with it most of the time, it is a good color. For example, Looking for 25 always using the High Noon, Laner always using either White Hot or that green color, Shecrappiekilla using that yellow frog (high Noon)...fishing farmer always using the fishing farmer (blue/chart). These are only a few examples, it is clear that these guys regularly catch good fish and good numbers of fish, as well.

As color goes, I prefer to figure out what color "fish bite faster" on any given day...while you can catch fish most days with your favorite few colors, with a little experimentation you can "dial in" the exact color they prefer AFTER you have dialed in the preferred "bait profile". I start with the Thermocline Black Emerald shiner on unfamiliar water...On familiar water, I use the color that I have already established at the best "all around color" on that lake, then adjust from there.

On the subject of jig head color, I prefer to use unpainted heads most of the time, because fish can see unpainted lead better than any other color at any depth, at least that is what research suggests. However, there are times when a fishes ability to SEE the color is not that important, relative to being able to see eyes, or flash, or a specific shape...Pink, red, chart, purple, gold come to mind...flat eyes, google eyes, red eyes, white eyes seem to be options...overal, the combination of options are endless for those hardy souls willing to "figure it out". Let us not forget "Jighead Profile" here. Ball Head, donkey head, road runner head, flat head, walleye head and my favorite...minnow head, non-collared. Why you ask, because I fish a minnow profile bait (Thermocline Lil Fry and Laners minnow)...while the ball head is predominately sold where ever you buy baits, but you can make your own profile changes with a hammer, side cutters, and file, as necessary...plus you can buy sheets of eyes, should you so desire.

While I am busy expanding on options...I key in on two sayings "KISS" or "Keep It Simple Stupid" and "match the hatch"...Interestingly, research ALSO suggests that the crappie's diet is mostly composed of freshwater shrimp, yet most baits produced mimic minnows, frogs, craw dads, and snakes (mr twister tails). Why, I don't really know...maybe they don't know how to make shrimp or they are too small to sell to the public.

Just some more food for thought....you can look at a persons tackle box and tell a lot about them and their approach to crappie fishing...and how long they have been at it, as well.

Last edited by crapicat; 03/08/16 02:14 PM.
Re: does color matter? [Re: crapicat] #11463201 03/08/16 04:21 PM
D
dwmoore Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
While reading the Crappy Masters mag I noticed not a single team used the same jig or color .So if there all fishing the same lake same day and conditions surely it proves COLOR does not matter a great deal (also fish only see 5 colors ) but profile makes different vibration to me thats what makes a change in the bite when you change baits.But water clarity also plays into this to a certain depth then all but 3 colors turn to black to the crappies eyes.ok I'm through just keep on luggin that big bag of jigs around and buyin all the new stuff that's what keeps the jig makers making a living.Darrell

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide