Print Thread
fly fishing white bass setup help #11459070 03/06/16 05:58 PM
J
josez Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
can anyone help me out. what is the proper setup for white bass . i have a wf7f line. people at the creek told me to use a sinking tip. can any one recommend what line to use and leader? thanks.

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11459080 03/06/16 06:05 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you do choose to go sinktip, there are quite a few options. Bass Pro and Cabela's have budget lines. If you can afford to spring for a high end one, of course, go for it.
That being said, putting together a fluorocarbon leader (see Lefty Kreh leader formula S) and tiny split shot in front of the fly, or a sinking fly, may just get you down where you need to be.
Hoping that the best and brightest will chime in here as well.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11459313 03/06/16 08:58 PM
J
josez Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I just bought a mini sinking tip from bass pro. Hope it works out

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11459347 03/06/16 09:45 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
A mini sink tip is a cheap way to get down deeper without spending too much. You can cut them off to desired length and add the loop connector on to get what ever length you want. The longer it is, the deeper you'll get, but it gets progressively harder to cast. If you want to spring for a new line, I have a Rio streamer tip that works well. It has 10 or 15' of clear sink tip.

A fluoro leader will help it sink. You can make them as mentioned above, or just use 6 or 7 feet of straight fluoro. A clouser fly or conehead wooly bugger will also help get down deeper. The clouser snags less often.

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11460198 03/07/16 06:16 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
When they get in the creeks no need for anything but float line. As mentioned those sink tips are harder to cast. Yes those clear sink tip lines cast better and help you get down. But you can add shot and tippet to get down with what you have! I have 6 fly rods in various weights now they all have floating line. Of course I have to make adjustments along the way to the depth I need to get the flies down to. But when they get going I average Almost a thousand Sandbass a week so floating line will not hurt you that bad. Only river I've ever fished for Sandbass that I really wished I had a sink tip heck with that full sink line is the Sabine. Yet I have made do even there. The floating line really helps me detect The most subtle of takes. That is just my humble opinion I'm sure there are many others on here that catch a lot more sandbass than I do but sink tip is not necessary if you ask me just my .02.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11460613 03/07/16 03:26 PM
J
josez Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
J
I was A dumb@ss I put all 12ft on the end. It was to heavy. Thanks Robert.

Last edited by josez; 03/07/16 03:27 PM.
Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11460636 03/07/16 03:31 PM
68camino Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I agree with Robert. I use nothing but floating line really.

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: Robert Hunter] #11460658 03/07/16 03:38 PM
T
TreeBass Online Content
Lt. Dan
Online Content
Lt. Dan
T
Originally Posted By: robert hunter
When they get in the creeks no need for anything but float line. As mentioned those sink tips are harder to cast. Yes those clear sink tip lines cast better and help you get down. But you can add shot and tippet to get down with what you have! I have 6 fly rods in various weights now they all have floating line. Of course I have to make adjustments along the way to the depth I need to get the flies down to. But when they get going I average Almost a thousand Sandbass a week so floating line will not hurt you that bad. Only river I've ever fished for Sandbass that I really wished I had a sink tip heck with that full sink line is the Sabine. Yet I have made do even there. The floating line really helps me detect The most subtle of takes. That is just my humble opinion I'm sure there are many others on here that catch a lot more sandbass than I do but sink tip is not necessary if you ask me just my .02.

well said and great advice thumb

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11461268 03/07/16 06:54 PM
M
Meadowlark Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
Perhaps it depends on where you are fishing, i.e. depths, currents, etc. and if you are after numbers or big fish.

I fish the Trinity river and the Sabine River and use full sinking line. Other set ups will certainly work, but the very best, quickest way to get your fly down to where the big females are is full sinking line. Quality is much more important than quantity to me and that full sinking line will get you down to the 3 plus pound quality whites.

It is a pain but the rewards are worth it to me.

p.s. I noticed you also asked about leaders. I use flouro to help get the fly down in the water column. Tippet doesn't have to be a lot but I usually have 10 pound or so in case of hangups. I believe in getting the fly down to where the big ones are, but that's just my approach.

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11461361 03/07/16 07:30 PM
68camino Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Meadowlark, Check your PM when you get a chance. Thanks!

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11462593 03/08/16 04:56 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Yea depth tells all sandbass run Is like trout don't get hung up every once in a while your not deep enough I can assure you I ducked chunking four pan fish size split shot to get down on the Sabine lmao. Hey it got down quick! It's amazing how many people don't realize the advantages of floro. Not only does it sink vs mono that floats it almost disappears in the water. Allowing you to go several line sizes heavier. 2flyfish4 went full sink with two feet of 20 lb floro on Sabine and did great but the water there is very dirty. This being said any hook I have tied on is attached to floro,but if on the fly don't waste money on tapered floro leaders get mono leaders 7.5ft and add floro tippet. As for sandbass I use 8 lb seagar invisx don't Get the the red label or any other floro. If under 8lb you want to go rio floro flex but sandbass no need going under that. For 90% of our creek run sandbass in Texas though your looking at 4-5 fow for the deep holes. The best spots we found yesterday were 18-24 inches of water. In that case floating line keeps the line above fish that you can see that may be very pressured.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: josez] #11462628 03/08/16 05:48 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Having the main leader as mono also adds a little stretch floro dosnt give much so helps prevent break offs of the hook set.

Re: fly fishing white bass setup help [Re: Robert Hunter] #11464080 03/08/16 09:35 PM
L
Lane H. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: robert hunter

100% agreed. I use floating line with a 7.5' Rio VersiLeader, which is fluorocarbon and sinks. Tie that with a conehead bugger or a clouser and you'll never want for getting down deep enough.

-L.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide