Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: If you could live... [Re: ChuChu1] #11483766 03/17/16 07:17 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
Tennessee River, in particular Pickwick Res.

I'm about to start exploring Guntersville and Wheeler. Just waiting to get my boat out of storage and lake ready.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11483979 03/17/16 08:37 PM
J
JIM SR. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
I love fishing East Texas, but my dream would be somewhere I could fish everyday or almost.
I'm gettin too old to fight the wind and cold. Maybe Florida Keys,..San Diego,.. somewhere warm, sunny, and little winds. fish

Re: If you could live... [Re: Huckleberry] #11498618 03/24/16 05:38 PM
B
BillyVanWard Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I see not very many of you have ever left Texas

That would seem to be the case, LOL. I about fell out of my chair when I saw friggin' Tawakoni as the first response. As one who's spent much time looking for the perfect place for an angler to settle down, I'll never forget that. And hey, I've enjoyed fishing that lake, but as the pinnacle nationwide? *YIKES!*

I'm born and raised in Texas and have flat fished the hell outta this place for 40 years, mostly from Dallas east. It's an OK place to fish, but far behind other places in many ways. I used to think TX was the best place for anything and everything, then I visited a bunch of other places and, well, I guess, grew up.

FLORIDA - wow. Big largemouth out the wazoo. Ungodly salt water action. Excellent facilities for sportsmen, with an explosion of ramps, courtesy docks, and online resources to find and study them (including pics of every ramp and parking lot) that plain puts Texas to shame. Astounding number of river boat ramps and free campsites, something uncommon here. The short, spring-fed rivers are something else - big bass, redfish, jacks, snook. Even the snakeheads are a blast! Peacock bass, too. There's just fish everywhere. Best shore fishing I've seen, always carry a rod in your car. ALWAYS. How I would have loved to fish here back in the day, before the crowds came.

ARKANSAS - half of my family comes from there, but somehow the sheer grandeur of the opportunities escaped me until recently. Great variety of fish from walleye to huge brown trout to just about everything else. Crooked Creek and Buffalo NR are insane, especially for smallmouth, my preferred fish. I'm not much for snow up to my crotch or tightlining thru a hole in the ice while freezing my butt off, so my ideal place can't much more north than the stunning Ozark region of Arkansas. If AR and LA had been one state, adding LA's plain insane saltwater fishing to the mix, it would have run away with the title. I would have called the state Arkanweeseeanner and even the state flower would have been a fish of some sort.

Much better, though, would be to have two places to live. Spend about 4.5 months in, say ME, NH, or VT slaughtering the smallmouth, trout, and whatnot while doing the rest of the year in FL, perhaps somewhere in the armpit with good access to the panhandle and all the way down the wang to the Keys.

One body of water? Greer's Ferry, AR + its river tailwater. That place has just about everything exceptin' fer salmon and nurse sharks.

"He is the most flawed person I have ever met in my life,"
General John Kelly, United States Marine Corps (Ret.), describing Donald "Dolt45" Trump

Never be upset by the success of another. Never be pleased by the pain of another.

Ezekiel 23:20
Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11504669 03/28/16 12:00 AM
Mudshark Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Ennis is where I would go. It's just minutes from Bardwell. Not far from Lake Clark.

[Linked Image]

Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11504910 03/28/16 01:50 AM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Consider Does it have serous possibilities or FLOOD or drought there , what you primarily fish for or want to catch , can you catch something year round, can you build docks, piers and up grade the shoreline, Is it open and windy or well protected areas to fish.... Plenty of great lakes in Texas and some really beautiful ones in northern Ark. too.. Also unless the wife enjoys fishing as much as you may want to consider what there is for her to do there Not to mention you may want to get a pizza delivered from time to time. . frkazoid

..The Original old style Side imaging sonar..
With 360* degree side scanning.
[Linked Image]
"
Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11506140 03/28/16 05:01 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
As much as I love the lakes of Texas, I think it would be hard to beat Northern AR. Bull Shoals, Table Rock, Greers Ferry, just to name a few. The scenery is beautiful too.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11506354 03/28/16 06:28 PM
scubaarchery Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
For me the challenge is freshwater. As much as I enjoy chasing sandies, there is something to be said for the tuna, grouper, snapper and lobster that you can catch in Florida...

Catch more hybrids, sand-bass and striper with the Thump’emup Thumper!
www.thumpemupfishing.com
Thumpemupfishingchannel@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi602ZTsxnkaVwT0wq3OgCA
Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11506507 03/28/16 07:27 PM
P
Polly Gosh Lizard Offline
Angler
Angler
P
I have lived here on Toledo Bend full time since 1994 and still love every minute of it. Sam Rayburn is 30-40 minutes away along with other smaller East Texas lakes that are within a 2 hours or less drive away. Toledo Bend fishes like 3 different lakes so I can move around and get different styles of fishing near my home. Taxes are really low and most people are friendly. Life style is very slow and that is the way I like it. I fish at least 5 days a week mostly afternoons and let the weekenders have it Saturdays and Sundays. Just can't beat it.

Last edited by Polly Gosh Lizard; 03/28/16 07:28 PM.

Never test the depth of the water with both feet.

Bobby

Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11506626 03/28/16 08:28 PM
C
cruzfishing Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
C
Lake Okeechobee of course!

http://tackleCoOp.com - New Custom Fishing Marketplace.
https://www.instagram.com/cruzfishing -posting fishing reports and pics here..its a bit easier.
https://tinyurl.com/cruzfishing (new Youtube Channel with indepth fishing reports)
DFW Fishing Forum https://www.facebook.com/groups/dfwfishingforum
Re: If you could live... [Re: Rudy Lackey] #11532176 04/10/16 01:23 PM
F
forkvet Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Yea! Ditto Rudy! Me to! We'll jus have to work with the ol' Ray Bob till then. fish

Re: If you could live... [Re: lconn4] #11532556 04/10/16 05:48 PM
J
JdDurango Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: lconn4
I haven't been to Alaska but fished hard for 25 years in south Florida. When you wake up in the morning you ask yourself what do I want to target today... bone fish, tarpon, snook, peacocks, redfish, largemouth... all within 45 minute drive in city traffic.

Where in South Florida did you live? I've been thinking of that as my target area too. Im a fly fisher and scuba diver and love fishin the salt. I'm addicted to the Permit, Tarpon, Snook, Redfish, Trout program.

The S. Florida east coast offers some neat shore diving plus Biscayne Bay offers some incredible fishing. I know you can head south to Marco Island/10,000 islands area and Flamingo or Chokoloskee. Then you have the keys too but I probably wouldn't live in the Keys due to cost of housing/living.

Then all the inland freshwater lakes for their monster bass.

Curious where you think a good home base would be?

Thx,
Jeff

Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11532921 04/10/16 10:25 PM
M
militarybrat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Dale Hollow in Tenn. Beautiful area with big smallmouths. They even have fall with all the colors it brings. Second choice Panama City Fla. area lake Seminol is close by love playin in the salt too.

Who ever said nothing in life is impossible.
Never tried slamming a revolving door.
Re: If you could live... [Re: BillyVanWard] #11535069 04/11/16 08:09 PM
J
JCG57 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: BillyVanWard
Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
I see not very many of you have ever left Texas

That would seem to be the case, LOL. I about fell out of my chair when I saw friggin' Tawakoni as the first response. As one who's spent much time looking for the perfect place for an angler to settle down, I'll never forget that. And hey, I've enjoyed fishing that lake, but as the pinnacle nationwide? *YIKES!*

I'm born and raised in Texas and have flat fished the hell outta this place for 40 years, mostly from Dallas east. It's an OK place to fish, but far behind other places in many ways. I used to think TX was the best place for anything and everything, then I visited a bunch of other places and, well, I guess, grew up.

FLORIDA - wow. Big largemouth out the wazoo. Ungodly salt water action. Excellent facilities for sportsmen, with an explosion of ramps, courtesy docks, and online resources to find and study them (including pics of every ramp and parking lot) that plain puts Texas to shame. Astounding number of river boat ramps and free campsites, something uncommon here. The short, spring-fed rivers are something else - big bass, redfish, jacks, snook. Even the snakeheads are a blast! Peacock bass, too. There's just fish everywhere. Best shore fishing I've seen, always carry a rod in your car. ALWAYS. How I would have loved to fish here back in the day, before the crowds came.

ARKANSAS - half of my family comes from there, but somehow the sheer grandeur of the opportunities escaped me until recently. Great variety of fish from walleye to huge brown trout to just about everything else. Crooked Creek and Buffalo NR are insane, especially for smallmouth, my preferred fish. I'm not much for snow up to my crotch or tightlining thru a hole in the ice while freezing my butt off, so my ideal place can't much more north than the stunning Ozark region of Arkansas. If AR and LA had been one state, adding LA's plain insane saltwater fishing to the mix, it would have run away with the title. I would have called the state Arkanweeseeanner and even the state flower would have been a fish of some sort.

Much better, though, would be to have two places to live. Spend about 4.5 months in, say ME, NH, or VT slaughtering the smallmouth, trout, and whatnot while doing the rest of the year in FL, perhaps somewhere in the armpit with good access to the panhandle and all the way down the wang to the Keys.

One body of water? Greer's Ferry, AR + its river tailwater. That place has just about everything exceptin' fer salmon and nurse sharks.

Incredible degree of wisdom in this post - if only my wife would see FL and AR this way! My only (slight) disagreement is with Greer's Ferry, since the trout fishing on the Little Red is not a good as it used to be. Maybe Norfork Lake and its tailwater....

Re: If you could live... [Re: LSM] #11573355 04/29/16 05:08 PM
B
bullcrappie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Just a reminded

Many lakes have a flood level that the city,state,corps or water supply owns
You maybe able to utilize it put up a wall, build on it or over it and have a boat dock but the corps,city whoever etc will always own it.
here on Cedar Creek Lake it certainly looks like everyone owns the water front but they do not Fort worth water district does. Up to the 325 elevation..

..The Original old style Side imaging sonar..
With 360* degree side scanning.
[Linked Image]
"
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide