Forums59
Topics1,038,955
Posts13,956,365
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED for Rowlett Creek cleanup Friday, March 4th... #11448087 03/01/16 02:28 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Those that live around Rowlett Creek, know how much trash is on the banks and in the water where we fish. Several of us have posted that we would be willing to help out and clean up some of the trash of our fellow fisherman and visitors to RC.

To try and coordinate an effort for the greatest good, I've started this seperate thread so we can get together an effort for maximum efficiency.

Friday is looking like the most promising day so far, so I think it best if we coordinate a morning/afternoon group to start one effort (for those off work) and an evening group to continue from the morning groups efforts (for those after work) so we can help clean a sizable area together.

Any input or suggestions along with more volunteers would be awesome! It won't take much time if there are bunches of us, and RC is definitely in need and worth it!

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 05:49 PM.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448092 03/01/16 02:29 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I'm up for a Friday evening crew and bringing 2 little volunteers (slaves) with me! I get off work at 5pm and can be there by 6pm.

Best part for me to help would be south of Miller on the east bank along the bike path, from the dirt parking lot to RC's opening.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 02:40 AM.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448199 03/01/16 03:07 AM
L
Ledeez Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Just hand out bags to the fishermen.? Put a # on it and put a prize on first full bag and see what happens! Then again they may just throw the bags in!? Anyways good luck

Teamgetsome$$$
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Ledeez] #11448232 03/01/16 03:19 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Ledeez
Just hand out bags to the fishermen.? Put a # on it and put a prize on first full bag and see what happens! Then again they may just throw the bags in!? Anyways good luck

Lol, on second thought...

We could post pictures of our efforts with all the full trash bags. That's quite an accomplishment worthy of any "stringer picture".

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448501 03/01/16 05:21 AM
F
Fishin&Dishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
I'm in for Friday evening. I'll grab some of those big black trash bags and head South from Miller bridge on the West side of the creek. I'm hoping maybe, just MAYBE, people will see others cleaning up the area, and maybe take some more pride in the place. Or maybe even help clean up! MrNovice, what are your thoughts on trash cans or dumpsters for the full bags? Is there anything down there, that you can think of?

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. --John Buchan
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448504 03/01/16 05:25 AM
O
O2 Bubbler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
I have not seen much in the way of trash cans. The Construction crew has not picked up all their resources that have been washed with the various storms.

I will take the initiative to call the city of Garland and Rowlett Parks tomorrow and see if they are willing to provide a pickup if we leave bags out and about.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Fishin&Dishin] #11448505 03/01/16 05:27 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Fishin&Dishin
I'm in for Friday evening. I'll grab some of those big black trash bags and head South from Miller bridge on the West side of the creek. I'm hoping maybe, just MAYBE, people will see others cleaning up the area, and maybe take some more pride in the place. Or maybe even help clean up! MrNovice, what are your thoughts on trash cans or dumpsters for the full bags? Is there anything down there, that you can think of?

I was thinking like 13 gallon bags for those walking nearest to the water and the 55 gallon drum size bags for those on the trails away from the water. When the small bags get full, stuff them in the 55 gallon and keep going. When the large 55 gallon get full, tie it off and leave it on the trail. Then when we all walk out, we grab all the 55 gallon along the way back.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448508 03/01/16 05:30 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Most of the trash is just fast food cups, minnow bags and plastic shopping bags. We might find some junked stuff like tires ect, but most should be just lightweight litter.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448524 03/01/16 05:48 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I'm thinking we need to get together in groups of 4 or 5 and trek down one side of the creek spaced about 20 ft apart. If we have 5 guys doing that on one side together, we can clear 100 ft from the water up in one swoop. Then another group of 5 go the other way, and depending on how this goes...maybe another day organize to do the other bank the same way.

It's too overwhelming for 2 guys to do one side and 2 - 3 do the other. I think it would be more productive and not seem like such a "chore" if we concentrate one one side of the bank to start.

Like east Miller Rd to opening (NT15), then east Miller to 66, then east 66 to Firewheel, then east Firewheel up...then start the west side with the same breakdowns.

I'm up for ideas and thoughts.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 05:49 AM.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448530 03/01/16 05:58 AM
O
O2 Bubbler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Might want to have an official coordinator.

Folks will arrive at different times so you might want to create one or two folks that can direct resources. Might also need folks to contribute.

I was with a group of guys that completed a similar task in past. Homemade pokers can be fabricates with any long enough stick with a nail (screw is even better) than can grab items. Gloves are important.

I have already sent notes to the cities of Dallas, Garland and Rowlett asking for whatever resources they would be willing to supply since we will supply free labor.

Really looking forward to meeting all you guys. Rowlett Creek has the potential to be a beautiful little creek. If we take pride, and can convince others, then we should be able to make our little gem even shinier.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448533 03/01/16 06:03 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Also keep in mind to clear this the right way the first time best we can, many of us will be walking through marsh/swamp areas and others through areas where there is no trail right through woods and thorns. As the bags get full, we toss them up to the road/trail, and keep going. It's going to be tough, so wear the best gear you got. Others will be right beside you though to help each other out.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Fishin&Dishin] #11448543 03/01/16 06:57 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Fishin&Dishin

There's nothing on the west side (Garland part) so I think we ought to coordinate our efforts on the east side first while we get into contact and see what Garland says. The east side (Rowlett part) from Miller down is better set up with the large bike trail to be able to haul the bags out easily.

I sent an email to the Rowlett Parks and Rec Dept manager to see if they could send a truck to the east Miller parking Saturday since they are open till noon. Either way, with permission or not they will pick it up. I told her we'll have dozens of bags for collection from Friday night and would appreciate any efforts they could extend to us in helping to clean the city up. We'll see what she says.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448886 03/01/16 02:30 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Rowlett Parks and Rec manager responded to my email and referred me over to coordinator for Keep Rowlett Beautiful. I emailed her, so let's see what happens next.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 03:18 PM.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448920 03/01/16 02:47 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
MrNovice, I comment you for initiating efforts to clean up the creeks. This kind of action oriented efforts are very effective in my opinion. Many people will be moved by the example you guys set forth. At least they would be aware that litter the creeks is wrong. There will always be those who just don't care, at the same time I want to give you a heads up, you're not cleaning up trash left there by fishermen, you're actually cleaning city drainage trash from the streets of the surrounding neighborhoods.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 03/01/16 02:59 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: BankAngler50] #11448984 03/01/16 03:17 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
MrNovice, I comment you for initiating efforts to clean up the creeks. This kind of action oriented efforts are very effective in my opinion. Many people will be moved by the example you guys set forth. At least they would be aware that litter the creeks is wrong. There will always be those who just don't care, at the same time I want to give you a heads up, you're not cleaning up trash left there by fishermen, you're actually cleaning city drainage trash from the streets of the surrounding neighborhoods.

I appreciate that. It's just a little starting effort now but hopefully we can get it to snowball a little bigger and become really effective. It's just one way we can give back to the area.

It's not a massive task and just requires a few hours of time here and there and the more people we have volunteer, the easier it will be for everyone. So, with that in mind...

WHO ELSE WOULD BE GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO SPARE A FEW HOURS AND SIGN UP???

This Friday, March 4th at the Miller Bridge Preserve Parking (Southeast corner of bridge over Rowlett Creek) at 6pm. Also would like to coordinate a morning/afternoon crew to head North from there if possible...

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide