Forums59
Topics1,039,196
Posts13,960,747
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11448993 03/01/16 03:21 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Might I suggest folks consider getting one of those grabber devices for this job. I've used them many times cleaning up shoreline. Speeds things up and saves your back. Don't buy the ultra cheap one... A good one runs 10-20 dollars. Home Depot has a good one for 20. And don't get one that hinges in the middle. It's warming up guys. Watch out for them copperheads South of Miller Rd.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11449022 03/01/16 03:35 PM
G
Grainraiser Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: MrNovice
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
MrNovice, I comment you for initiating efforts to clean up the creeks. This kind of action oriented efforts are very effective in my opinion. Many people will be moved by the example you guys set forth. At least they would be aware that litter the creeks is wrong. There will always be those who just don't care, at the same time I want to give you a heads up, you're not cleaning up trash left there by fishermen, you're actually cleaning city drainage trash from the streets of the surrounding neighborhoods.

I appreciate that. It's just a little starting effort now but hopefully we can get it to snowball a little bigger and become really effective. It's just one way we can give back to the area.

It's not a massive task and just requires a few hours of time here and there and the more people we have volunteer, the easier it will be for everyone. So, with that in mind...

WHO ELSE WOULD BE GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO SPARE A FEW HOURS AND SIGN UP???

This Friday, March 4th at the Miller Bridge Preserve Parking (Southeast corner of bridge over Rowlett Creek) at 6pm. Also would like to coordinate a morning/afternoon crew to head North from there if possible...

Just a suggestion. 6pm is much to late to do this. It will be pitch dark in less than a hour.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11449054 03/01/16 03:51 PM
L
LakeForkGroupie Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I can't make a Friday, but I will bring 1 trash bag with me every time I fish the creek this year, and make sure it is full before I leave for the day.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Grainraiser] #11449083 03/01/16 04:00 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Grainraiser
Originally Posted By: MrNovice
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
MrNovice, I comment you for initiating efforts to clean up the creeks. This kind of action oriented efforts are very effective in my opinion. Many people will be moved by the example you guys set forth. At least they would be aware that litter the creeks is wrong. There will always be those who just don't care, at the same time I want to give you a heads up, you're not cleaning up trash left there by fishermen, you're actually cleaning city drainage trash from the streets of the surrounding neighborhoods.

I appreciate that. It's just a little starting effort now but hopefully we can get it to snowball a little bigger and become really effective. It's just one way we can give back to the area.

It's not a massive task and just requires a few hours of time here and there and the more people we have volunteer, the easier it will be for everyone. So, with that in mind...

WHO ELSE WOULD BE GRACIOUS ENOUGH TO SPARE A FEW HOURS AND SIGN UP???

This Friday, March 4th at the Miller Bridge Preserve Parking (Southeast corner of bridge over Rowlett Creek) at 6pm. Also would like to coordinate a morning/afternoon crew to head North from there if possible...

Just a suggestion. 6pm is much to late to do this. It will be pitch dark in less than a hour.

It is late, but we're hoping to get together a day crew as well. The 6pm crew is those that have volunteered to help after they get off work. We have more volunteers in the 6pm crew than the afternoon crew right now, so we'll still put a huge dent in it!

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 04:01 PM.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11449198 03/01/16 04:41 PM
O
O2 Bubbler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Well aware this is mostly drainage stuff from upstream......the vast majority (we should ask Richardson, Garland, Plano, McKinney, etc) smile

But to make our creek beautiful this will be worth the effort.

New slogan CU-RC (clean up rowlett creek)

RC should not look like 3rd world drainage dump (I have been to those places and it looks bad)

We should take pride in our little water way.

Last edited by Bubbler99; 03/01/16 06:00 PM.
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11449213 03/01/16 04:47 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
For those interested, but not sure where we will meet or what location/area we will be at, here is a map to the preserve parking area.

Zoomed view:

You can see the entrance road to the parking area in the bottom left corner street view pic, on the southeast side just after Miller Road bridge coming from Garland.

Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Grainraiser] #11449222 03/01/16 04:52 PM
K
KungFuJimmy Offline
Angler
Angler
K
captain!just suggestion.#1 6 pm is too late,the snake will wake up early because the weather.#2 have to asking city put some trashcan after we been clean.#3 tell them doing same thing like a fire wheel land park trash can and warning sign. bow_down

Kung Fu Jimmy

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: KungFuJimmy] #11449233 03/01/16 04:55 PM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: KungFuJimmy
captain!just suggestion.#1 6 pm is too late,the snake will wake up early because the weather.#2 have to asking city put some trashcan after we been clean.#3 tell them doing same thing like a fire wheel land park trash can and warning sign. bow_down

We're trying to coordinate with Rowlett to do a bulk pickup at the preserve parking Saturday morning. It's the least they can do. They already have trash recepticles out along the bike path, so park maintenence does go down there to empty those. Hopefully we can get a garbage truck to come out.

Also Jimmy, since I know you and several other guys will be out there in the morning fishing, when the bite is slow could you try to head a group North on the east side from Miller? There are no paths that way though, so more guys are needed to help for the day crew. If you could haul the bags back out to the preserve parking, we can start the bulk collection pile for the city Saturday morning, and the evening crew will build onto it from the south.

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/01/16 06:47 PM.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11449759 03/01/16 08:19 PM
K
KungFuJimmy Offline
Angler
Angler
K
i would like to do that!we need starting tell the forum friend go fishing with us .[by the way bring the bag for pick up the crash] if bite slowly. banana

Kung Fu Jimmy

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: KungFuJimmy] #11450379 03/02/16 01:17 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: KungFuJimmy
i would like to do that!we need starting tell the forum friend go fishing with us .[by the way bring the bag for pick up the crash] if bite slowly. banana

Thanks Jimmy! With a couple other stand up guys like you, we can knock this out in no time!

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11450723 03/02/16 03:33 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Just got back from Acadamy and Walmart, picked up 94 count 13 gallon trash bags and a roll of the 55 gallon drum size trash bags. Got a 600 lumen cheap spotlight too, so we can see what we are doing back there during the evening cleanup.

Side note: we really need to get this going! There is a high chance of rain starting Saturday and showers continuously till possibly Wednesday. The water might have receded from the last rain a little, but the waterline will be way too high again to clean after that many more days of rain.

So far, we got about 5 guys for the 6pm crew and looks to be about 4 or 5 for the morning crew. We should make quite a dent! Thanks for your support!

Last edited by MrNovice; 03/02/16 03:45 AM.

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11450899 03/02/16 05:41 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I can't do a lot to help due to my current state of disability. But I'd be happy to kick in a roll of heavy duty trash bags if you guys thought you would need them. I'm not an invalid, I just have a hard time standing and walking for very long. Hey I can offer moral support! What time did you say the morning crew was starting?

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11450904 03/02/16 05:58 AM
M
MrNovice Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Duckcreek Davy
I can't do a lot to help due to my current state of disability. But I'd be happy to kick in a roll of heavy duty trash bags if you guys thought you would need them. I'm not an invalid, I just have a hard time standing and walking for very long. Hey I can offer moral support! What time did you say the morning crew was starting?

Appreciate any support we can get, Davy!

The morning crew is pretty much going to fish early morning and then whenever the bite slows down, start their clean up efforts. Don't have an exact time for them, just whenever the fish aren't so active. I mean, we are all fisherman first...LOL!

The evening crew time is set to start at 6pm because most of us get off work at 5pm, and then we can head down there to start our efforts. I really don't know who will be "leading" the morning clean up effort, but if you watch this thread you can see what all is going on as we get closer to Friday and get all the details nailed down. This is our first attempt, and hopefully we can improve/expand on it!

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: MrNovice] #11450919 03/02/16 06:39 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I've always thought this would be a good thing to do. I can't help but think that a Saturday cleanup would draw a lot more people. But hey these things gotta start somewhere and I think this is just great.
Be nice to have a few small boats in the creek to get some of the trash hanging from the tree roots and such. But maybe next time.

Dave Morris

Re: All those up for an RC cleanup Friday, March 4th... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #11450923 03/02/16 06:44 AM
M
Mckinneycrappiecatcher Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
M
Originally Posted By: Duckcreek Davy
I've always thought this would be a good thing to do. I can't help but think that a Saturday cleanup would draw a lot more people. But hey these things gotta start somewhere and I think this is just great.
Be nice to have a few small boats in the creek to get some of the trash hanging from the tree roots and such. But maybe next time.
i have a kayak, I can't make it this week, but if y'all put together another clean up if be more than happy to kayak the creek as the group moves along and get trash

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide