Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Port A March 25-29th #11437333 02/25/16 01:44 AM
Clark3 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
In going to be in port A March 25th-29th and this year I am bringing my kayak. I'm not asking for any specific spots as I know how hard you guys work to find them and even at that fish move. Im more of a bass fisherman but would like to at least have a shot at catching some trout and redfish to cook while I'm there. I have mostly fished off the south jetty and caught a few big drum.

My question is what should I be looking for that time of year and what type of baits and presentations can be successful? A buddy of mine was saying maybe paddled to the north side of the north jetty for trout but that there is also a ferry that drops off there so maybe I could take my son (he's 4) there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

[Linked Image]
Re: Port A March 25-29th [Re: Clark3] #11437428 02/25/16 02:12 AM
T
TimL Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
That time of year strong winds can be an issue off the jetties resulting in high surf, but yes, the north jetty is a good spot to pick up trout, reds, sheepshead, drum and other species. There is a jetty boat that will ferry passengers over. Live shrimp works best, freelined, under a popping cork, or lemon rig. Soft plastics such as Cocahoes, Saltwater Assasins, etc fished with a 1/4 or 1/8 oz jig head, or twitch baits such as Mirrolures, or Rapala XRap Saltwater work well for trout and reds if the surf is not too rough.

A good bet for fishing out of a kayak would be to fish the Lighthouse Lakes, or Brown and Root flats, as you will have much better protection from the wind in those areas. Both areas are just across the ferry from Port A toward Aransas Pass. Here is a good video on Lighthouse Lakes and Kayak fishing there that has a map.

https://youtu.be/PdgHigtlskA

Search YouTube for "Port Aransas Jetty Fishing" will yield a good number of videos that may be helpful.

Last edited by TimL; 02/25/16 02:14 AM.
Re: Port A March 25-29th [Re: Clark3] #11437654 02/25/16 03:29 AM
Clark3 Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Thank you very much

[Linked Image]
Re: Port A March 25-29th [Re: Clark3] #11438274 02/25/16 02:38 PM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
As TimL mentioned wind is going to be an issue in March, so kayak fishing the jetties may not be a safe option. If you're wanting to fish the north jetty I would just take the Ferry out in the morning without the kayak and just walk it.

Here's a Google Map with kayak launches on the coast.

LHL is a good option, that offers protection from winds. The spring tides will be in full swing, so there will be lots of water. On the island you could launch at Island Moorings or Shamrock Cove. From Island Moorings you can paddle south first thing in the morning against lighter winds and work your way back. For the most part it's shallow water and great for reds, but closer to East Flats or the drains into the channels will offer trout. Shamrock offers various flats of a variety of depths. The first flat from the launch is fairly shallow and I typically skip over it unless I see signs of reds on the flats. The two flats north of the launch (Big Skinny Cove & Little Skinny Cove) or the hole towards the east (Spanish Islands) are worth a drift. You'll have to paddle back into the winds but there are enough islands to offer protection and the bottom is shallow and firm so you can easily take breaks if needed.

As far as lures go, keep it simple:
Bone Super Spook Jr
Plum/Chartreuse, Pumpkinseed/Chartreuse, and Salt & Pepper/Chartreuse soft plastics
1/4oz weedless gold & silver spoons
1/16 & 1/8oz jigheads
Gold Glitter 3" DOA shrimp

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Port A March 25-29th [Re: Clark3] #11442832 02/27/16 04:44 AM
B
Baffinboy Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
April in Port A is often windy, the backside of Mustang Island is a good, safe place that's not as crowded as the lighthouse lakes and AP area. Two good spots to launch are at Wilsons Cut which you head south out of Port A on 361 and take a right at the Sea Gull Condominiums. If you keep going south on 361, right before you hit the Corpus Christi Pass bridge take a right and that area is called Deadmans Hole. Both usually hold reds and trout, Deadmans has a lot of flounder to.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide