Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11439568 02/25/16 11:29 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
Despite the drop in water temps Brian Dupluchain caught a 12.6lb beast out there today.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11439970 02/26/16 02:26 AM
S
Scoundrel Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Tougher is best for the tough.

Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11440208 02/26/16 03:42 AM
Danny L. Weems Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Rayburn temps fell 12 degrees over the last couple of days and we cought lots of fish today. I just couldn't get a kicker.

Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Lil' Louie] #11440578 02/26/16 12:26 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Yes I know I've prolly told this story 100 times but tough, we are still proud as all get out, and I'm gonna tell it again!! Prefishing for the Ray Roberts tourney back in 2014 sucked. Couldn't buy a bite. It was terrible. Same thing for that spring too. No fish prefishing, not a single bite during the tourney. June rolled around went back out and prefished. Pffft. Sucked. We thought man what the hell are we doing out here fishing with these guys? We can't compete.

Went Friday to register, boat 150 out of 166. Me and the ole man always have a little "garage talk" the night before bout the tournament coming up and we were both just defeated. Everything sucked. Boat 150 sucked, fishing sucked, boo freaky hoo. Went out the next morning. Took off. Boats everywhere we wanted to fish (I know everyone says this stuff but its true.. plus we don't like crowds or crowding folks). Stopped off at a place Dad hadn't fished in years and I really couldn't recall ever fishing because our other "go-to" spots are usually pretty good. Fished a treeline all day and I'll be damned if we didn't win the whole thing! A lots of folks on here are friggen sticks on Roberts so we really thought our weight would hold up but the good Lord figured it was our time. 1st year fishing Champs, 4th tourney of the year, we were Champs!

Moral of the story: Just go out and have a good time fishin.... things change every single day out there and you just never know! We prolly won't catch a thing at Fork but we sure do enjoy the competition and feel like we can win everyone we enter and you should feel the same way IMO! Good luck fella's and for crying out loud lets be courteous to each other and safe out there!

Sort of like my stories. My partner had been undergoing Hep b treatment and did not get to go to Cedar Creek to prefish.
I had gone a couple times too and fished the last day before cut off the weekend before the tournament. Never having caught more than 2 fish and nothing but little ones, I called my partner that night and asked him if he would like to just skip this one.
He said that we should just go to have fun so we went. It was a summer tournament and it was taking 16 to 18 to win. Our first stop, his hole. Within 30 minutes we had a 7, a 5 and another 3 pounder. We knew then we were in it. Struggled the rest of the day but 20 minutes before weigh in we caught our 5th fish.
That was the last year they gave Champion boats. Champion was closing but we held out and Chad got us his comp boats. My partner kept the boat and still has it today. Champion 198, fully loaded.

Several years later and with my daughter we fished Tawakoni the last year they gave away boats. Again prefishing stunk with nothing to look forward to. We decided to just run a number of spots we knew and hope for the best.
Our first stop was a tiny patch of brush inside a point. Another boat was sitting on top of it fishing the bank. We kept waiting till they moved and then hit it. Nothing happened and I started moving off after 10 minutes. Tiffany got a hit and we boated our first 2 pounder. Cool.
Another little pile next to a small marina and I kept getting a hit but no fish. After about 4 misses I stuck it. Another 3 pounder.
We did not get another fish on our spots so we headed across the lake to some timber. A pattern emerged. We found if we hit isolated single trees in the forest and kept casting we would occasionally get a fish. Caught two more for the day with one nice one around 5 pounds. Around 1 I lost what may have won the tourney. It was a 3 pounder that I made the mistake with. I had put the boat between two trees and cast to an isolated tree. After several casts I put one just to the left of the tree but my line was over a small branch. I thought what the heck and pulled it up and dropped it a few times. Hit, pull, the fish breaks the surface a few times and is gone. It was at 1 so I did not know how bad we needed that one.
With just a few minutes to fish and having to idle through the timber to get out to open water, I told my daughter we would hit this one big tree up next to the bank. First cast, a 4 pounder. Going back to weigh in I knew we would probably be close. I turned out we were about 7 tenths of a pound short for 3rd place. That was the last year BC gave away boats.

So if you not on fish don't let that bother you. Tournament day is different.

Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11441716 02/26/16 07:43 PM
C
c8horton Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
May have been talked about before, but how does the launch work for Champs at Fork? Everyone meet at lake fork marina and launch like normal tourney? Or can you trailer? Thanks

Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Allison1] #11442289 02/27/16 12:06 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Allison1
Originally Posted By: Lil' Louie
Yes I know I've prolly told this story 100 times but tough, we are still proud as all get out, and I'm gonna tell it again!! Prefishing for the Ray Roberts tourney back in 2014 sucked. Couldn't buy a bite. It was terrible. Same thing for that spring too. No fish prefishing, not a single bite during the tourney. June rolled around went back out and prefished. Pffft. Sucked. We thought man what the hell are we doing out here fishing with these guys? We can't compete.

Went Friday to register, boat 150 out of 166. Me and the ole man always have a little "garage talk" the night before bout the tournament coming up and we were both just defeated. Everything sucked. Boat 150 sucked, fishing sucked, boo freaky hoo. Went out the next morning. Took off. Boats everywhere we wanted to fish (I know everyone says this stuff but its true.. plus we don't like crowds or crowding folks). Stopped off at a place Dad hadn't fished in years and I really couldn't recall ever fishing because our other "go-to" spots are usually pretty good. Fished a treeline all day and I'll be damned if we didn't win the whole thing! A lots of folks on here are friggen sticks on Roberts so we really thought our weight would hold up but the good Lord figured it was our time. 1st year fishing Champs, 4th tourney of the year, we were Champs!

Moral of the story: Just go out and have a good time fishin.... things change every single day out there and you just never know! We prolly won't catch a thing at Fork but we sure do enjoy the competition and feel like we can win everyone we enter and you should feel the same way IMO! Good luck fella's and for crying out loud lets be courteous to each other and safe out there!

Sort of like my stories. My partner had been undergoing Hep b treatment and did not get to go to Cedar Creek to prefish.
I had gone a couple times too and fished the last day before cut off the weekend before the tournament. Never having caught more than 2 fish and nothing but little ones, I called my partner that night and asked him if he would like to just skip this one.
He said that we should just go to have fun so we went. It was a summer tournament and it was taking 16 to 18 to win. Our first stop, his hole. Within 30 minutes we had a 7, a 5 and another 3 pounder. We knew then we were in it. Struggled the rest of the day but 20 minutes before weigh in we caught our 5th fish.
That was the last year they gave Champion boats. Champion was closing but we held out and Chad got us his comp boats. My partner kept the boat and still has it today. Champion 198, fully loaded.

Several years later and with my daughter we fished Tawakoni the last year they gave away boats. Again prefishing stunk with nothing to look forward to. We decided to just run a number of spots we knew and hope for the best.
Our first stop was a tiny patch of brush inside a point. Another boat was sitting on top of it fishing the bank. We kept waiting till they moved and then hit it. Nothing happened and I started moving off after 10 minutes. Tiffany got a hit and we boated our first 2 pounder. Cool.
Another little pile next to a small marina and I kept getting a hit but no fish. After about 4 misses I stuck it. Another 3 pounder.
We did not get another fish on our spots so we headed across the lake to some timber. A pattern emerged. We found if we hit isolated single trees in the forest and kept casting we would occasionally get a fish. Caught two more for the day with one nice one around 5 pounds. Around 1 I lost what may have won the tourney. It was a 3 pounder that I made the mistake with. I had put the boat between two trees and cast to an isolated tree. After several casts I put one just to the left of the tree but my line was over a small branch. I thought what the heck and pulled it up and dropped it a few times. Hit, pull, the fish breaks the surface a few times and is gone. It was at 1 so I did not know how bad we needed that one.
With just a few minutes to fish and having to idle through the timber to get out to open water, I told my daughter we would hit this one big tree up next to the bank. First cast, a 4 pounder. Going back to weigh in I knew we would probably be close. I turned out we were about 7 tenths of a pound short for 3rd place. That was the last year BC gave away boats.

So if you not on fish don't let that bother you. Tournament day is different.

Excellent advice from both you guys!! Just go fishin when you can and have FUN!! Life is too short.

Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Mark Perry] #11442298 02/27/16 12:09 AM
Ken A. Online Content
Groovy
Online Content
Groovy
Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Despite the drop in water temps Brian Dupluchain caught a 12.6lb beast out there today.

And let me add that when Brian Duplechain says he caught a 12.6 you can take it to the bank!! thumb

Re: Prefishing for Champs [Re: Danny L. Weems] #11442696 02/27/16 03:40 AM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
I found the lake in good shape today, much to my surprise. Fishing was good to real good in the 4 hrs I was out. Still stained to muddy, but a good angler and a little luck will figure it out pretty quick. I'm not but did, if the wind don't effect it to bad champs will catch'um up good tomorrow.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide