61 Forums
858978 Topics
11268447 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11428685 - 02/21/16 12:46 PM Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills
Blue Moon Offline
Angler

Having fun working on breeding and non-breeding bluegills designs. Please let me know what you think. ~ Blue Moon

#11428813 - 02/21/16 02:42 PM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Justin, TX.
Very nice. Beautiful colors.

www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
Shallow Water Mapping - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

#11430230 - 02/22/16 08:57 AM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Those are so good.

www.wildcranks.com or find them at Fun-N-Sun in Hurst.

#11430518 - 02/22/16 10:40 AM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity

What's your photo setup, Blue Moon? If you aren't a professional photographer, you certainly know your way around a camera. I think I see a soft box in the eye of one of the lures, and the lighting on the top shot is too purposeful not to have some lights (or a big window that you've learned to work).

#11432437 - 02/22/16 11:49 PM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity

BTW, your work is exceptional. It shows how much I have to learn. The color on the gill plate of the top lure is beautiful.

#11432452 - 02/23/16 12:24 AM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Sanger, Tx/ Chatham, La
Looking great, man I need to figure out the gill stripes so I can start painting gills more often.

https://www.inseinefishing.com field staff

#11432457 - 02/23/16 12:39 AM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad]
Blue Moon Offline
Angler

Donald, swalker & Brad Ė many thanks for taking the time to reply. Since I only recently turned my limited airbrush skills toward painting lures Iíve been spending way more time that I expected working on colors and designs so itís always helpful and encouraging to have some feedback.

So far Iíve learned you can visualize a lure, draw it, and map out a color scheme including a pattern but creating it the way you intend is a challenging puzzle with more steps than I ever suspected. Each time I tackle a new lure I gain even more respect for the guys in the tribe that do it so effortlessly.

Writing down or recording each step seems to help move the ball forward so you can reflect back on the last mistakes and try to take a different path next time youíre in the saddle. Even though Iím recording my mistakes, I seem to forget that a tiny amount of glitter that looks like no more than few specks turns into the Milky Way in the darkest sky after it flows out with epoxy. Iím convinced epoxy makes glitter multiply by a factor of at least 10...

swalker Ė regarding the images, the light in the top shot is indeed purposeful for the reason Iíll explain below but I certainly didnít go to the effort to pull out my studio lights for any of these shots. The first shot was taken late at night while the lure was still in my portable paint booth drying. Some will recognize the blue filter in the background.

What may be beneficial and more on topic to the custom painters on this forum is mentioning that I illuminate my spray booth with natural daylight (5000 kelvin) desk style lights. Check out OttLite for reasonable examples.

Besides working on stencils Iíve been spending a lot of time mixing paints and experimenting to get the colors I want. Mixing paint under typical shop lights that are often too cool or too warm is not going to end well in most cases so check out a 5000 Kelvin OttLIte if you mix or spray under artificial lights.

Regarding the two lower shots, those are just quick snapshots from my back porch with naturally diffused lighting from an overcast sky. When youíre shooting highly reflective surfaces like epoxy coated crankbaits itís critical to diffuse the light or youíll have too many blown hot spots that cause a loss of detail.

These shots have way more blown areas than I like but for the effort and purpose they turned out OK. Regarding photographing lures, I recently took on an assignment to shoot some lures and other shots for a friend that is writing a fishing related book. The book will be out this spring. The shot I wanted to capture required me to break out the studio lights. I may post those in a separate thread soon as some of the jig builders may find the shots interesting.

Again, many thanks for responding,

Blue Moon

#11433752 - 02/23/16 02:39 PM Re: Blue Moon - Chasing Bluegills [Re: Blue Moon]
swalker9513 Offline
TFF Celebrity

Completely off topic (I spend a lot of time in the OT section of the TFF), but for some reason I have a picture of Blue Moon in my head. He sounds like Wilford Brimley but looks like Jerry Garcia.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide