Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11430271 02/22/16 03:13 PM
centexChamp92 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Lews Super Duty

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Flippin-Out] #11430897 02/22/16 07:00 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out

I saw two things that lost a lot of fish for people: Moving the rod back and forth between hands, and not having the reel engaged when they needed to set the hook on a fast-biting fish. Neither of these effects me because my rod never leaves the chosen hand, and the reel is engaged unless I press down on the thumb-bar. These are immensely important in not missing fish in my opinion. As we flip to hundreds of targets near and far, we are constantly adjusting our line extension. With or without a flipping switch, we press the thumb-bar to get more line. With a flipping switch, once enough line is payed out, I simply let go of the thumb-bar and I'm back in action. But, an angler without a flipping switch must now get the reel engaged again. He's holding the rod in one hand, and holding the line extension in the other hand. What hand will he be using to engage the reel's drivetrain? (while I've already flipped the bait and set the hook on another fish). THAT, my friend, is the bottom line of why I don't flip without a flipping switch!

You're assuming that everyone changes hands to pitch which isn't the case. If my hand is back on the handle before my bait hits the water then there's really no chance any bites are going to be "too quick."

The flipping switch is interesting but sure not for everyone. I'd encourage the OP to fish with one before you purchase one. You are going make sacrifices later if you require that to flip and pitch with.

Diawa has some great products out with their new T Wing System and Abu has great models like the Revo STX at a reasonable cost. You can get a gear ratio between 7 and 8 and get those fish up and out in a hurry without losing too much power.

To get good at pitching just takes time and tons of practice. Use your high end stuff for distance casting and finesse tactics.... Any decent reel will do for flipping and pitching.

[Linked Image]
Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11431091 02/22/16 08:12 PM
Txmedic033 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
I appreciate all of the feedback. I have done plenty of flipping and pitching and I believe that I would benefit from the flipping switch so I checked academy and ended up picking up an Accurist. I also got a Lew's Laser Tournament Speed Spool just because it was a great deal.

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lews-tou...ldCatid=3083436

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11431510 02/22/16 10:46 PM
C
cz tim Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Though I rarely reply I have fished for many years. I've always liked my Daiwa reels for the fact that after casting the spool can be engaged by just pushing up on the thumb bar with your thumb. Pretty simple.

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: JacksonBean] #11432428 02/23/16 05:31 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

I saw two things that lost a lot of fish for people: Moving the rod back and forth between hands, and not having the reel engaged when they needed to set the hook on a fast-biting fish. Neither of these effects me because my rod never leaves the chosen hand, and the reel is engaged unless I press down on the thumb-bar. These are immensely important in not missing fish in my opinion. As we flip to hundreds of targets near and far, we are constantly adjusting our line extension. With or without a flipping switch, we press the thumb-bar to get more line. With a flipping switch, once enough line is payed out, I simply let go of the thumb-bar and I'm back in action. But, an angler without a flipping switch must now get the reel engaged again. He's holding the rod in one hand, and holding the line extension in the other hand. What hand will he be using to engage the reel's drivetrain? (while I've already flipped the bait and set the hook on another fish). THAT, my friend, is the bottom line of why I don't flip without a flipping switch!

You're assuming that everyone changes hands to pitch which isn't the case. If my hand is back on the handle before my bait hits the water then there's really no chance any bites are going to be "too quick."

The flipping switch is interesting but sure not for everyone. I'd encourage the OP to fish with one before you purchase one. You are going make sacrifices later if you require that to flip and pitch with.

Diawa has some great products out with their new T Wing System and Abu has great models like the Revo STX at a reasonable cost. You can get a gear ratio between 7 and 8 and get those fish up and out in a hurry without losing too much power.

To get good at pitching just takes time and tons of practice. Use your high end stuff for distance casting and finesse tactics.... Any decent reel will do for flipping and pitching.

You are the one assuming something I did not write. I said I have seen fish lost due to a rod being switched between hands. I never said EVERYONE does that. I can actually say that if I saw it at all, even just once, without it being a reason 100% of the time, which it wasn't. It certainly will eventually bite anyone who does switch hands. In the course of the next 5000 flips, I bet you don't get your hand to the handle before the lure enters the water all 5000 times.....you will mess up at some point because no human is that mechanically perfect in voluntary movement. It seems as there's a fad of thinking of a flipping switch as something a "real man" would never use; it always seems to stir the pot.

The OP asked about flipping reels, and you started a discussion of pitching, skill, and practice, which is nothing that was asked about, btw.

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Flippin-Out] #11432628 02/23/16 01:28 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

You are the one assuming something I did not write. I said I have seen fish lost due to a rod being switched between hands. I never said EVERYONE does that. I can actually say that if I saw it at all, even just once, without it being a reason 100% of the time, which it wasn't. It certainly will eventually bite anyone who does switch hands. In the course of the next 5000 flips, I bet you don't get your hand to the handle before the lure enters the water all 5000 times.....you will mess up at some point because no human is that mechanically perfect in voluntary movement. It seems as there's a fad of thinking of a flipping switch as something a "real man" would never use; it always seems to stir the pot.

The OP asked about flipping reels, and you started a discussion of pitching, skill, and practice, which is nothing that was asked about, btw.

A sissy switch....? grin

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11433332 02/23/16 06:16 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
The one that matches the color of your jersey walking.

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Flippin-Out] #11434039 02/23/16 10:27 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Whoa! Don't flip out on me! wink I never said you weren't a real man or mean to imply it.

I do think you're confused on what pitching and flipping are though. You keep describing pitching in your posts but continually call it flipping. It's very confusing. If you are letting line out that's not flipping, no matter what the switch is called.

I was talking about practice and skill because as multiple people mentioned, you don't need a $400 reel to get the job done rather a middle of the road reel and plenty of practice. If you like the little switch, by all means continue using it. I just pointed out that it has drawbacks.

Tight lines,

J

P.S. I use left handed reels 100% of the time I'm flipping and pitching so no switching hands for me. dance2

[Linked Image]
Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11436587 02/24/16 08:28 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The left hand reel negates a lot of the general drawbacks of flipping. I like the sissy switch idea - I'll start calling it that, LOL. I love a good sissy switch, but dang it, I don't own a single jersey with loud colors, designs, or company logo ink. Do you think I could get some made in pastel colors to go with my sissy switch? I want to start a new fishing fashion trend!

Re: Best reel for flipping [Re: Txmedic033] #11436679 02/24/16 08:53 PM
BB675 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Revo Rocket

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide