Page 1 of 2 1 2
Acsend h12 #11419207 02/17/16 05:35 AM
T
Thataznguy214 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Anyone have one and care to give feedback on it?

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11419433 02/17/16 01:02 PM
cricman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
There are a few of us that have them. I put a short first impressions review the the Ft Worth Nature Center thread last week. Rhino68W posted a nice video walk through on YouTube. In short its stable (a relative term), tracks pretty well, and has lots of room for gear. I am taking mine out again Friday, so I may do a more in-depth "opinion" after that.

cricman

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11419664 02/17/16 02:17 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
If you're wanting a decent hybrid style kayak then it's a good option. It is much different than a SOT, so if that's what you're used to then it will be quite different.

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11422010 02/18/16 11:55 AM
K
kickingback Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
I have an Ascend FS128T which is the step up from the FS12. I like the room on mine. I am in the process of mounting a detachable TM for longer trips in the wind.
Mine is not like the H12 which a sit inside. It is still an Ascend though and a good kayak for the money.
The Ascend is an awesome roomy yak. It is big though and cumbersome to turn sometimes in the wind and it is heavy to lug around without the wheels but if you are looking for a stable standing platform and lots of room for gear then the Ascend line is good. Just remember as cheap as they are you get what you pay for. Some leaks around the hatches and high and low spots on the deck from the poly warping. Check it out at store before you buy to make sure there is not too much warp-age on the yak you pick. Get the basics and mod it yourself. You will have fun doing it and will take more pride in ownership. Leaving it in the sun will cause it to warp some as well so store in cool dry shaded place. These yaks can be overly modified which is a plus for beginners and tinkerers.

Last edited by kickingback; 02/18/16 02:04 PM.

USAF Retired and Fishing!
Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11424480 02/19/16 08:31 AM
K
Kayak-Hooligan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
Time to upgrade from that pelican son

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11427074 02/20/16 05:38 PM
cricman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I took my H12 out Friday morning and paddled and fished for 3 hours. Here are some more thoughts on the H12:

-For sure, it tracks very well. The bow and keel extend slightly below most of the hull and help to keep the boat moving straight when under power. The tunnel also helps with tracking. A minor point, the transition from bow into the tunnel is molded in a way that causes turbulence and makes a discernible gurgling noise. This is compared to the canoes that I paddle and fish out of, which glide nearly silently. Again, very minor, and it doesn't effect the quality of the ride or paddling experience.

-As far as hull efficiency goes, it is probably average. I had a light weight 15' glass canoe that would flat out slip through the water like a rocket and glide a long way after the last stroke. I have a Jackson Big Rig that moves at a leisurely pace, despite my efforts, and doesn't glide very far at all. The H12 is in between. It's fast enough to get you there without killing you.

-It is a very comfortable boat. I sat for 3 hours and only at the end was my posterior beginning to feel like it needed a break. Mind you that I am 275 pounds, so not so much a design flaw in the seat as it is in my dietary habits! I used the lumbar support from my Big Rig, so my lower back was good to go. It really is a very good seat. The foot pegs are easy to move closer while seated, a little less so to move them further. The rod holders are easy to access and have a practical outward and rearward angle.

-It is a stable boat, understanding that most of what people call stability is a function of experience and balance. While seated, it has very good initial stability (lacks tippyness) and very good secondary stability (I will push it beyond its limit to see just how good once the water gets warm.) I did take a strap to assist standing, and did stand up. The seat is fairly low (for seated stability) so when standing, you really have to keep your feet close to the front of the seat. Be sure you are wearing footwear that won't slip out from under you when you attempt to stand. Once standing, there is a bit less initial stability, as with all kayaks and canoes. I will need to get used to it. The secondary stability is actually very good, once standing. If you shift your weight to one foot, the H12 rolls into a nice stopping point with waterline to spare. I limited my standing paddle time because of the wind and water temperature, but I felt like I could quickly get used to the feel of it.

-Some other thoughts: I have a truck with a full length bed, a topper, and a Yakima rack on tracks. I added the rack specifically for my canoes and kayaks. I don't need it for the H12. I have a full bed storage box in my truck bed with an old futon on top (camping during deer season). I simply put the H12 on the futon, strap it to the 2 attachment points in the bed, close the tailgate, and strap the topper window down. It only sticks out about 33", so I don't need to flag it. regarding the three accessory tracks, some have stated they are plastic. Mine are powder coated aluminum. They take all of the Yak Attack and Scotty accessories, as well as anything using 1/4-20 screws and stamped 1/4-20 T-nuts. My tracks are a tad loose. If that causes problems down the road, I will remove the factory rivets and re-attach the tracks, making them fit a little tighter to the hull. The overall "fishability" of the H12 is very good. Plenty of room for a cooler, lots of tackle, and other gear. I put a cooler behind me, and my tackle pack (a courier bag with lots of pockets for a couple 3600 boxes, soft plastics, terminal tackle, and tools) sat in front of me, and still had room in the stern well and under the front deck. That doesn't include the 2 side saddles and the behind the seat bag! As for construction and durability, the plastic thickness is actually the same or slightly thicker than that on my Big Rig, and that is a well made kayak. There are no soft spots in the hull or the gunwales. Additionally, there are no small radius transitions in the hull, so stress cracking should not be an issue under normal use (or minor abuse!)

My opinion is that the H12 is a very good boat. You definitely get your money's worth. I am still amazed that Ascend/Bass Pro hasn't done more to promote this product. As of writing this, Ascend still hasn't put it on it's web page or Facebook page. If I get a chance, I would like to paddle a WS Commander 120 and see how they compare. I imagine that they aren't that different in ride, stability, and fishability.

Of course, those are my thoughts and opinions as an owner. Your nautical mileage may very!

cricman

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: cricman] #11427165 02/20/16 07:25 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: cricman

If I get a chance, I would like to paddle a WS Commander 120 and see how they compare. I imagine that they aren't that different in ride, stability, and fishability.

cricman

When I first saw the H12 it looked similar to my Commander 120 but after I made a further comparison the similarities especially from the gunnels down, mainly the hull there is a big difference.
That difference is the commander hull is tunneled from front to back and has a keel all the way down the middle.
The H12 has kind of a parrot beak fore and aft that extends below the keel which you mentioned causes the gurgling sound.
I can see where that feature alone can effect the speed and glide.
My Commander isn't what I'd call fast, but it isn't slow and does have some glide and paddles silently so that might be something to consider if it matters to you.
That said, the H12 is a lot of boat for the money compared to $1,175.00 for the Commander.

Last edited by Jimbo; 02/20/16 07:39 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: cricman] #11430304 02/22/16 03:22 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: cricman
I took my H12 out Friday morning and paddled and fished for 3 hours. Here are some more thoughts on the H12:

-For sure, it tracks very well. The bow and keel extend slightly below most of the hull and help to keep the boat moving straight when under power. The tunnel also helps with tracking. A minor point, the transition from bow into the tunnel is molded in a way that causes turbulence and makes a discernible gurgling noise. This is compared to the canoes that I paddle and fish out of, which glide nearly silently. Again, very minor, and it doesn't effect the quality of the ride or paddling experience.

-As far as hull efficiency goes, it is probably average. I had a light weight 15' glass canoe that would flat out slip through the water like a rocket and glide a long way after the last stroke. I have a Jackson Big Rig that moves at a leisurely pace, despite my efforts, and doesn't glide very far at all. The H12 is in between. It's fast enough to get you there without killing you.

-It is a very comfortable boat. I sat for 3 hours and only at the end was my posterior beginning to feel like it needed a break. Mind you that I am 275 pounds, so not so much a design flaw in the seat as it is in my dietary habits! I used the lumbar support from my Big Rig, so my lower back was good to go. It really is a very good seat. The foot pegs are easy to move closer while seated, a little less so to move them further. The rod holders are easy to access and have a practical outward and rearward angle.

-It is a stable boat, understanding that most of what people call stability is a function of experience and balance. While seated, it has very good initial stability (lacks tippyness) and very good secondary stability (I will push it beyond its limit to see just how good once the water gets warm.) I did take a strap to assist standing, and did stand up. The seat is fairly low (for seated stability) so when standing, you really have to keep your feet close to the front of the seat. Be sure you are wearing footwear that won't slip out from under you when you attempt to stand. Once standing, there is a bit less initial stability, as with all kayaks and canoes. I will need to get used to it. The secondary stability is actually very good, once standing. If you shift your weight to one foot, the H12 rolls into a nice stopping point with waterline to spare. I limited my standing paddle time because of the wind and water temperature, but I felt like I could quickly get used to the feel of it.

-Some other thoughts: I have a truck with a full length bed, a topper, and a Yakima rack on tracks. I added the rack specifically for my canoes and kayaks. I don't need it for the H12. I have a full bed storage box in my truck bed with an old futon on top (camping during deer season). I simply put the H12 on the futon, strap it to the 2 attachment points in the bed, close the tailgate, and strap the topper window down. It only sticks out about 33", so I don't need to flag it. regarding the three accessory tracks, some have stated they are plastic. Mine are powder coated aluminum. They take all of the Yak Attack and Scotty accessories, as well as anything using 1/4-20 screws and stamped 1/4-20 T-nuts. My tracks are a tad loose. If that causes problems down the road, I will remove the factory rivets and re-attach the tracks, making them fit a little tighter to the hull. The overall "fishability" of the H12 is very good. Plenty of room for a cooler, lots of tackle, and other gear. I put a cooler behind me, and my tackle pack (a courier bag with lots of pockets for a couple 3600 boxes, soft plastics, terminal tackle, and tools) sat in front of me, and still had room in the stern well and under the front deck. That doesn't include the 2 side saddles and the behind the seat bag! As for construction and durability, the plastic thickness is actually the same or slightly thicker than that on my Big Rig, and that is a well made kayak. There are no soft spots in the hull or the gunwales. Additionally, there are no small radius transitions in the hull, so stress cracking should not be an issue under normal use (or minor abuse!)

My opinion is that the H12 is a very good boat. You definitely get your money's worth. I am still amazed that Ascend/Bass Pro hasn't done more to promote this product. As of writing this, Ascend still hasn't put it on it's web page or Facebook page. If I get a chance, I would like to paddle a WS Commander 120 and see how they compare. I imagine that they aren't that different in ride, stability, and fishability.

Of course, those are my thoughts and opinions as an owner. Your nautical mileage may very!

cricman

This is an excellent write up cricman. You should share this on the "Ascend Kayak Owners" Facebook page. This information will surely help some people.

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Rhino68W] #11430675 02/22/16 05:30 PM
cricman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
This is an excellent write up cricman. You should share this on the "Ascend Kayak Owners" Facebook page. This information will surely help some people.

Thanks Rhino, and you're right; It would be silly to scratch my head about the lack of reviews or opinions about something, and then neglect to share my own thoughts. I just posted it.

cricman

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11434481 02/24/16 01:15 AM
T
Thataznguy214 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Lol I already bought it I just wanted to know how it was before I take it out I'm still rigging my electronics on it. Tommy what's your number I lost it

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11435388 02/24/16 01:15 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Thataznguy214
Lol I already bought it I just wanted to know how it was before I take it out I'm still rigging my electronics on it. Tommy what's your number I lost it

Be sure to post how you did your electronics! I am still taking ideas for when I get a FF

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11438025 02/25/16 12:42 PM
T
Thataznguy214 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
K will do I'm almost done and will post pics

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11438317 02/25/16 02:58 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Thataznguy214
K will do I'm almost done and will post pics

I am interested to see them! Currently trying to trade some stuff for a FF

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11438934 02/25/16 07:06 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Cricman, just a heads up, I sent a link of your review to the BPS Basecamp folks.

Nice review.

Also, it looks like the kayak is now on the BPS website.

Re: Acsend h12 [Re: Thataznguy214] #11439114 02/25/16 08:19 PM
S
shimanotoshort Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
not for me

Last edited by shimanotoshort; 02/25/16 08:19 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide