Print Thread
Nanofil #10840960 05/13/15 03:50 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I was ready to re-spool my spinning reel, this after having great luck with 8 lbs. Sufix Elite mono, so I pulled off all but I guess a quarter of it, left this mono on the arbor for backing, tied a uni to uni knot to 12 lbs. green Nanofil and filled her up. I would have likely used 10 lbs. Nanofil but Academy didn't have any on the shelf.

The Sufix 8 I have is .011 diameter; the new Nanofil 12 is .007, so much smaller. I had no issues at all with the uni to uni knot.

Why the backer? One common reason for backer with a braid is financial: you don't need braid spooled on much beyond what will be pulled off on your longest casts. The second reason is at least most people believe that braid needs the backer to keep it from slipping on the arbor, especially if it gets wet. Nanofil isn't braided, per se, but it comprises Dyneema fibers running parallel to each other along the length of the line. And, it is sort of slippery to the touch, not overly so, but a bit, so knot tying to terminal tackle can't be shoddy and certain knots are recommended.

For connecting to terminal tackle, one reliable source recommends looping 3 times through the eye of a hook, then tying a San Diego Jam knot. In the video of this, he shows repeatedly that he can snap the line away from the knot. I'll use this knot next time out.

So, that is all. What I am hoping to pick up is even more castability (and Sufix Elite casts very far) with lighter presentations; and, less stretch (and Sufix Elite is not all that stretchy) for better feel.

I took it out yesterday with an attached practice plug, did a few very light back handed casts down the street and I was surprised by how far it slung the plug with so little effort.

If anyone is interested, I'll report back my findings.

Brad

Re: Nanofil [Re: Brad R] #10848316 05/16/15 12:57 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
First report. I went out to Wheeler Branch yesterday, a slow bite for sure and I only caught 3 LMBs, none were large. I'll need more time with the Nanofil line to encounter more real life situations.

But, my general impressions, so far:

1) It casts just like one would expect, very far, as the 12 lbs. test I threw has the diameter of 4 lbs. mono. Again, I might have chosen 8 or 10 Nanofil but none was available. For finesse fishing, 12 seems a bit much to me.

2) It is slippery. I got hung up one time, no way out of it but to break off the line. I couldn't grip the line and break it under normal circumstances so I did a more extensive wrap and finally popped the line. The 12 is very strong. Dyneema fibers are like that, braided or otherwise.

3) The lo-vis green looks invisible to me in the water so no need to tie on a leader though I may try that at some point. That bright yellow line looks like it would work well if one is a "line watcher." In that event, I'd likely tie on a fluorocarbon or mono leader.

4) 3 loops through the eye of my hook, then a San Diego Jam using what some call the Improved SJ, that is, after the wraps then passing the line through the bottom formed loop and through the top formed loop . . . this seemed to cure the tendency of the knot to slip.

5) My uni-to-uni knot where I used about a quarter of an arbor of 8 lbs. mono, then attached the Nanofil from there, this to prevent any slippage, worked fine.

Next, I'll see how durable the line is over several fishing sessions.

Oh! Being a mono-only guy, so no experience with the sensation of fishing braids or fluorcarbons, I was surprised by how much one can feel the bottom with Nanofil. I could feel every bump over a pebble, feel the drag if my line was fouled by vegetation, things like that. I actually didn't feel much of a difference, yet, with fish getting on but it was just the way they took the worm on this day. After a few dozen fish, I'll likely have a better idea of what I can feel if a fish is testing the bait. This may affect the speed setting hooks. Not sure yet.

Brad

Re: Nanofil [Re: Brad R] #11418681 02/17/16 01:08 AM
O
Oldman4750 Offline
Angler
Angler
O
bump for more info

Re: Nanofil [Re: Brad R] #11419145 02/17/16 04:31 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I still see Nanofil used on the occasional fishing show where they are fishing for white bass, crappie and other lighter applications and almost exclusively on spinning tackle.

I liked it but moved to Sufix 832 braid in 10 lbs. so I could conveniently tie on a fluorocarbon leader, 8 lbs., for drop shot rigs all last summer.

Too, there is now a Sufix Nanobraid with the more traditional weave of the 8 or so fibers. It is incredibly strong and very small in diameter for its tested strength.

Nanofil certainly has its place fishing really small lines for pan fish and others.

What are you targeting, fish wise? And, you are speaking of lines for a spinning reel?

Best luck! Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide