Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Flipping Rod #11417277 02/16/16 02:53 PM
Lee in Texas Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Ok, can someone please tell me what backbone and length makes up a 'flipping rod' ?
Totally foreign to me
Thanks
God Bless
Lee

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417279 02/16/16 02:54 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
A broom stick is what most use.

I like a 7' Heavy X-Fast action rod.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417280 02/16/16 02:54 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
typically MH with a fast tip in 7ft...some like up to 8ft HVY with Fast tip...basically something with a ton of backbone and a tip to give you precision accuracy.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417309 02/16/16 03:07 PM
Lee in Texas Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Ah, ok. If I am getting this right: at least 7' and MH to Heavy.....
Right ????

Thanks, I really appreciate the feedback
God Bless
Lee

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417312 02/16/16 03:08 PM
B
bush hog Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
It don't make a "flip" roflmao

To whom much is given, much is required.
Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417329 02/16/16 03:13 PM
B
bassfshin24 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I don't think a MH rod would be considered a flipping stick. Flipping sticks are generally used to flip into heavy cover. I think most guys that are serious into flipping will have a rod that is 7ft at its shortest. I would say go with anything that is 7'3-8ft in heavy action with a fast tip. You want a rod that has a lot of strength to pull those fish out of the heaviest cover. You also want it to have a fast tip. A lot of the bites you get when flipping come on the fall so you want a rod that reacts fast to the bite. That's just my opinion though. I am in the market for a new flipping stick and I will be looking at the Fitzgerald rods. Those were designed for fishing Okochobee which is full of heavy vegatation.

Last edited by bassfshin24; 02/16/16 03:15 PM.
Re: Flipping Rod [Re: bassfshin24] #11417344 02/16/16 03:18 PM
Lee in Texas Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Thanks. I haven't heard of that brand rod, BIG SUPRISE hammer still new at this.
Ok, Strong back one - got it !
Thanks shipmate
God Bless
Lee
Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
I don't think a MH rod would be considered a flipping stick. Flipping sticks are generally used to flip into heavy cover. I think most guys that are serious into flipping will have a rod that is 7ft at its shortest. I would say go with anything that is 7'3-8ft in heavy action with a fast tip. You want a rod that has a lot of strength to pull those fish out of the heaviest cover. You also want it to have a fast tip. A lot of the bites you get when flipping come on the fall so you want a rod that reacts fast to the bite. That's just my opinion though. I am in the market for a new flipping stick and I will be looking at the Fitzgerald rods. Those were designed for fishing Okochobee which is full of heavy vegatation.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417364 02/16/16 03:23 PM
B
bassfshin24 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
No worries. I've never fished with them but have heard nothing but good things. There are a lot of a great brands out there that make a great flipping stick. It's definitely a fun way to catch fish. Check out some of the youtube videos of guys flipping and punching Okeechobee. There are a ton of good videos on youtube that help guys get started into flipping and punching. Enjoy

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417392 02/16/16 03:36 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Flipping is a broad term and equipment varies depending on the cover you are fishing. Places like Okeechobee an 8ft HVY/FAST is super common. Places like Squaw Creek with trees, 7-7.5 MH/Fast is very common.

Places like Lake Worth with tons of reeds a 7-6 HVY/FAST is common and good. There is no right/wrong with a flipping stick assuming you use it for the correct applications.

If you are just looking to get one rod I would suggest a 7'6" HVY/FAST. Pair it with an 8:1 reel with solid drag. You can use heavy flouro or braid, whatever you prefer. Again, you have to be comfortable with it and be able to use it all day. FLipping sticks get heavy and wear on your wrists. If you are looking for something custom, let me know.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: musiclife_7] #11417409 02/16/16 03:43 PM
B
bassfshin24 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Very true. I guess I fish a ton of milfoil and thick timber so I usually want something heavy but can see where a MH would be a good in the not so thick stuff.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417431 02/16/16 03:57 PM
S
Slide_R Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
Flipping has several meanings to different people. Flipping involves dropping a lure into the middle of thick cover by using heavy line fished on a long rod. Pitching is a similar technique, but there is a difference. Flipping is a matter of engaging the reel, holding the line in your hand, and making a controlled flip or drop into a target nearby. Pitching involves making longer pitches of 25 yards or more. Punching is another close-in technique using a heavy weight to penetrate thick cover. The rod you use for flipping depends on the cover you are going to flip. A Med/Hvy might be fine with braid as your main line or a Hvy to Extra Hvy might be needed. Usually a 7-8 ft rod is desired. Most good rod builders build a "Flipping rod" and depending on your needs and budget you should be able to find what fits your fishing style.

I like Megabass and they have flipping technique specific models for different budgets and needs. Two that I know of are called the Megabass Levante F8-79C Flipping Special or a more expensive model called Megabass Orochi XX F8-79XX - Aaron Martens Flipping Special. You can find them at APT or Fun-N-Sun in the Ft. Worth area.

Hope you find what you are looking for because it is a seriously fun and productive method for catching bass.

Robert Oleson
aka Slide_R

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417505 02/16/16 04:24 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Lake Okeechobee was my home water for just shy of 20 years. It might be a good guess that flippin' and pitchin' were mainstays of my tactic. I will agree that rod heft/action can be varied based on the cover being flipped. I do feel that the shortest a flippin stick should be is 7' 6" because of the need to get big fish UP and OVER whatever cover obstructions exist - whether that's vegetation or tree branches. My most favored rods are 8' because I get a better angle for picking the fish up as vertically as possible, hoping to bring them out the way the lure went in so that I can land them.

I'm not sure I'd spend JDM pricing dollars to get a flippin rod when many great alternatives are available for much less. Even a stout 8' rod can weigh in at a reasonable weight if you can spend a bit more $ to get one that puts some of the value into keeping strength while holding rod weight down. The reels I use are ~7 ounces, so I can flip all day without killing my wrist when paired with the rods I have.

I wouldn't put fluoro on a flippin rig in a million years, but to each his own. Everything happens very fast on a very short leash and at high stress levels. The something that would end up giving way would be a brittle line like flouro. Braid can work because we can choose one with a super heavy pound test that's still a reasonable diameter, which insures it can take the load without much risk of failure. Many southern USA waters aren't clear enough to worry about the line being paid any attention on the typical quick reaction bite one gets while flipping. Additionally, any flip into vegetation is a jungle of filaments and roots that stop the line from standing out in the first place.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Flippin-Out] #11417508 02/16/16 04:26 PM
Mark Perry Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Lake Okeechobee was my home water for just shy of 20 years. It might be a good guess that flippin' and pitchin' were mainstays of my tactic. I will agree that rod heft/action can be varied based on the cover being flipped. I do feel that the shortest a flippin stick should be is 7' 6" because of the need to get big fish UP and OVER whatever cover obstructions exist - whether that's vegetation or tree branches. My most favored rods are 8' because I get a better angle for picking the fish up as vertically as possible, hoping to bring them out the way the lure went in so that I can land them.

I'm not sure I'd spend JDM pricing dollars to get a flippin rod when many great alternatives are available for much less. Even a stout 8' rod can weigh in at a reasonable weight if you can spend a bit more $ to get one that puts some of the value into keeping strength while holding rod weight down. The reels I use are ~7 ounces, so I can flip all day without killing my wrist when paired with the rods I have.

I wouldn't put fluoro on a flippin rig in a million years, but to each his own. Everything happens very fast on a very short leash and at high stress levels. The something that would end up giving way would be a brittle line like flouro. Braid can work because we can choose one with a super heavy pound test that's still a reasonable diameter, which insures it can take the load without much risk of failure. Many southern USA waters aren't clear enough to worry about the line being paid any attention on the typical quick reaction bite one gets while flipping. Additionally, any flip into vegetation is a jungle of filaments and roots that stop the line from standing out in the first place.

The Megabass rods that Robert referenced above are NOT JDM models. They retail at $199-299 respectfully depending on model and series you choose. They are made for the American market. I have used the XX Flipping Special for a few years now and love it. Used it a bit last month punching and flipping grass at Rayburn. If its crazy thick cover the XX or Levante Leviathan can be a great choice too.

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417568 02/16/16 04:57 PM
Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life) Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
765Flip Dobyns champion is a great choice for flipping mod-heavy cover like bushes, timber and medium grass. 764 if u want a rod that is a little more versatile and really excels when fishing 20lb floro pitching bushes, light grass and tossing c-rigs and football jigs. But this rod does have the backbone to handle 50-65lb braid and some heavier applications

Re: Flipping Rod [Re: Lee in Texas] #11417679 02/16/16 05:52 PM
M
militarybrat Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Here in Texas I use a 7' St. Croix Avid in MH fast tip paired with a Shimano Castaic flipping reel. It has served me well for many years in the thickest stuff dam thing is a pool cue. It's well earned nick name is jawbreaker anything less than 5 lbs it tends to rip a bass' jaw apart with a hard hook set. Discovering Owner cutting point hooks allows me to lighten up alot on hookset just a pull gets it done without rippin jaws.

I am short at 5'8" anything longer than 7' causes me issues with banging the rod on the boat when pitching. Me just a few inches taller and that problem would not exist.

Who ever said nothing in life is impossible.
Never tried slamming a revolving door.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide