Page 1 of 2 1 2
Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot #11412534 02/14/16 01:42 AM
S
SAT_Bob Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
My brother's boat needs a new trolling motor and we're looking at the Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot. The trolling motor only has the hand held remote instead of the foot control.
Have any of you used this trolling motor with the i-pilot for bass fishing? How is it without the foot control? Seems like it will be great for retracing a previous course and the spot lock or anchor feature. I'm just not sure about trolling along the shoreline with the hand held while casting and retrieving a lure.
I'd appreciate any input and experience you have.
Bob

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11412700 02/14/16 02:50 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have the Terrova which is the ipilot. I have the foot control but almost never use it. Handheld is more accurate for me. It takes a little getting used to but if you give yourself time to get used to the remote, it becomes second nature. I mainly use the spotlock feature but trolling a shoreline is easy. Set the heading and the speed and it will maintain that heading until you change it. I set mine and fish. You'll learn to watch for stumps or obstructions and make the adjustment between casts. I will not go back to a traditional cable steer.

Not sure if the powerdrive offers it but I'd look into the ilink ipilot. Gives you everything that the ipilot does plus more features and is linkable to your huminbird. I made a mistake and didn't get it when I bought my tm. I recently upgraded to it but haven't had a chance to test it out yet.

I believe that you can purchase a foot control for the powerdrive if you really want one but I'd be suprised if you used it enough to justify the purchase. You're welcome to come try it out on my boat and see if you like it.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11412900 02/14/16 05:11 AM
W
wconn33 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
As soon as the come out with one that will fit my AS-360 on the TM I will upgrade to one. I am really wanting one but I like having the Humminbird 360 on the front of my boat.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11412959 02/14/16 08:26 AM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Going on my 3rd year with my Minn Kota Terrova/iPilot. The remote is so easy and convenient that I have never even hooked the foot pedal up to my TM.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413022 02/14/16 12:12 PM
S
sleeper Offline
Angler
Angler
S
I just added ipilot to my power drive v2 that I've had for 3 years. . I was laughing made it so easy to fish. It's like having someone else run the trolling motor for u and I get to fish. Don't miss foot pedal. Last week I let my wife fish in front and I was in back. Easy. I don't need the link thing though. More money I don't need to spend

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413038 02/14/16 12:48 PM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
I've got the PowerDrive V2 w/I-pilot link. So easy to use and with the remote that made fishing so much better. I'm looking to buy the Ulterra with 112 lbs thrust with 60" shaft. I will never go back to foot control ever!

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413139 02/14/16 02:16 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
I guess I don't understand. Using a hand held remote while fishing is easier than using a foot control? I want to ride in a boat to see this work. Someone invite me. I'm curious as to how it works. I have a hard time keeping balance on my boat while using a trolling motor. The hand held remote would be cool. Just don't know how it's easier to actually cast and retrieve while holding a remote. It seems as though it would have to impact actual fishing time since you would have to stop fishing to change course.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413180 02/14/16 02:41 PM
S
SAT_Bob Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
That's my concern. I'm thinking I'd need three hands but those that have it seem to like it.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SteezMacQueen] #11413224 02/14/16 03:06 PM
J
Jobucko Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I guess I don't understand. Using a hand held remote while fishing is easier than using a foot control? I want to ride in a boat to see this work. Someone invite me. I'm curious as to how it works. I have a hard time keeping balance on my boat while using a trolling motor. The hand held remote would be cool. Just don't know how it's easier to actually cast and retrieve while holding a remote. It seems as though it would have to impact actual fishing time since you would have to stop fishing to change course.

You do need to ride with someone who has an iPilot to appreciate it.

My remote is about the size of a cellphone and hangs around my neck so my hands are free. Using the AutoPilot feature I set my course(point the motor in the direction I wish to travel and press one button) then I just fish. If a course correction is needed(speed or direction) I make that adjustment with the remote. If I hook a good fish I set the hook then usually press the ANCHOR button so I don't have to worry about my boat drifting, fight the fish then resume fishing from that exact spot.

As Sleeper mentioned you can now control the boat from any position on the vessel since you are not tethered to the bow. Its a lot like having a cordless phone versus a hardwired handset.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413394 02/14/16 04:35 PM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
What is the delay on the remote ?

Do you guys not fish in areas with stumps ?

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: BThomas] #11413542 02/14/16 05:45 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: BThomas
What is the delay on the remote ?

Do you guys not fish in areas with stumps ?

No noticeable delay. I fish in areas that most people won't take their boat. In fact, because of the remote, I have more control over the boat than others. Think about it, get busy landing a fish, changing lures, digging out tackle, getting a drink, etc snd are away from trolling motor how do you keep it on your spot or avoid hitting something? I have a remote on my neck. I can do anything from anywhere in the boat with a touch of a button.

As far as not understanding how you can fish and use s remote. Remember, this isn't like using cable steer in wind or current where you need to ride it. We are basically setting cruise control and occasionally hit a button. Yes, it does take a hand away from fishing but typically it is just a second. The tm is doing most of the work by itself.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413544 02/14/16 05:47 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Steez, you can check mine out sometime.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413752 02/14/16 08:37 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
What happens when you get around another boat with the same TM. Does the remote work both like a tv remote? Or are they secured rolling code remotes like keyless entries and garage door openers?

I really like the idea of the spot lock and having one to keep the boat following a certain depth contour. I could almost see the benefit of two, one front and one rear. To keep the boat aligned with the depth and casting direction. I do not like the idea of not being in control, direct control, when running the boat in dangerous areas or when trying to navigate REALLY knarly weeds. I also like that they can be linked to the graph to maintain a lock on a waypoint.

Again.....the remote part gets me. Kinda like the idea of driving a car, or the boat itself, with no hands. Pushing buttons. Not for me. Haha. It there a cable controlled, or even foot controlled, TM with the option of the remote? I guess I could just look on MK website. Haha.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413899 02/14/16 10:45 PM
A
acfatcat Offline
Angler
Angler
A
the anchor feature is nice when someone loses their rod in 40' of water.

Re: Minn Kota PowerDrive with i-pilot [Re: SAT_Bob] #11413916 02/14/16 11:04 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
1. You have to program the remote to the unit. You can use multiple controls on the same tm ( your partner could also control it from the back)

2. You don't need to link it to a graph. The tm has it's own built in gps and you can set lock spots anywhere by pushing a button. If connected to FF with the link, then you can store more points on the graph and also control the unit using the graph and tell it to move the boat to another waypoint. As far as control and alignment, that is dependent on the wind, waves. It will always face your boat into the wind.

You are in control to whatever amount you want. When in stumps and such, I'm not constantly trolling down a shore fan casting. I'm more apt to move a little and flip then move some more. The only time that I bump a stump is when it is hidden under the water.

3. The Terrova and Ulterra both come with a foot control. Doesn't work the same as a cable steer but you can use your foot to control when your hands are busy, just like the cable steer.

It is a little hard to wrap your head around unless you just try one and then you still have to give it a chance to adapt. There are some that never like it and switch back but the majority that use one will never switch again from everything that I read. I know that you think that using a remote will take time away from actual fishing. In reality, it gives me more time fishing and less time correcting for wind and waves.

I would bet that I can fish out deep in rough water in my 15 footer and have a more relaxing day than most people would in a larger boat having to stand on one leg all day fighting it. That is where it really shines. I have never been in water so rough that the spot lock won't hold the boat. I've been on 20 footers where partners have to trade off running the tm when boating a fish or retying. I'll be next to them sometimes fishing off the back of the boat or taking my time sitting down and changing lures or getting a drink and a cigarette and my partner never has to stop his fishing to move to the tm.

If you ever fish Joe Pool (or I am thinking of trying Grapevine) then let me know you can hop on and test it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide