Forums59
Topics1,037,859
Posts13,935,709
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: Ken A.] #11416186 02/16/16 12:22 AM
D
Devil Horse Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Originally Posted By: Devil Horse
Just to throw a little mix in this topic. My dad hired guide Bob Uhler (old timers will remember Bob and he also guided on Fork when it opened) on Tawakoni in the year 1968 for a day, we fished from sunup to sundown and it was in the month of May so it was like 7am to around 7-8pm. The cost? $40 whole dollars and my dad tipped him $10 for a good day of fishing. Been a lot of changes over the years.

Gasoline was like 15 cents a gallon back then too. That is 1/10th of what it is currently and we all know the price of gas will rise. So, technically it is really less than 1/10th the price. If your dad paid Bob, $50 bucks back then, it would be about $500 in today's dollars. wink

correct, was just showing its relative to todays time give or take a few bucks. Guiding full time and making ANY consistant money at it is tough at best.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: Devil Horse] #11416328 02/16/16 01:22 AM
H
hamlet5 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
I do not see how comparing construction trades to guided bass fishing explains the cost of anything. Hiring a guide is a luxury I have treated myself to a cpl times and hope to do again in the near future. If you do not like the cost you do not have to hire. Take a trip with a guide and it goes bad you don't have to tip or use him again. You can try another. It is called fishing (like hunting) and sometimes we are blessed by a fish biting our bait. Regardless if a fish is caught or not the Guide still has some hard expenses to cover, cost of boat, fuel, truck, gear, insurance etc, etc. So fuel is cheaper today than 6 mos ago. I really do not think that a guide spending 15 dollars on fuel for the day instead of $30 is a deal breaker in the big scheme of things. If this bothers you that much you have bigger problems than guide fees.

Wherever you go, there you are

Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: hamlet5] #11416356 02/16/16 01:32 AM
Happykamper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: hamlet5
I do not see how comparing construction trades to guided bass fishing explains the cost of anything. Hiring a guide is a luxury I have treated myself to a cpl times and hope to do again in the near future. If you do not like the cost you do not have to hire. Take a trip with a guide and it goes bad you don't have to tip or use him again. You can try another. It is called fishing (like hunting) and sometimes we are blessed by a fish biting our bait. Regardless if a fish is caught or not the Guide still has some hard expenses to cover, cost of boat, fuel, truck, gear, insurance etc, etc. So fuel is cheaper today than 6 mos ago. I really do not think that a guide spending 15 dollars on fuel for the day instead of $30 is a deal breaker in the big scheme of things. If this bothers you that much you have bigger problems than guide fees.

Abso frickin, lootley !!!!!! thumb

[Linked Image]
Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: RedRanger] #11416490 02/16/16 02:32 AM
Guide Richie White Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In my opinion, there's only about 175 fishing days per year that are good enough for me to recommend taking clients (on Fork, anyway). So, if I'm fishing more than 175 trips per year, my success rate is going the wrong direction. Even if I didn't guarantee fish, I would try to minimize the possibility of a poor trip. So I try to get out of trips when the water temp is under 55 or over 85 degrees - or if I'm not catching.
In the winter, most of my time is spent preparing for my busy season. I live on deposits that clients send for March, April, and May. So, by the time I actually earn my money, half of it is spent carrying me through the slow times. If I didn't do some computer work on the side during the slow times, I wouldn't make it as a guide.
I'm a lousy salesman and I can't keep a boat out of the stumps. So, I spend a lot of time and money on boat repairs, rather than working with a dealer and having a sponsor boat. I have a cheaper boat and can offer a better rate, but I'm probably not as profitable as the guides who charge $450 and fish out of a new boat every year.

Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: RedRanger] #11416564 02/16/16 02:58 AM
C
catch-n-release Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
C
I have fished with several guides in my day some good some not so good. I look at it this way, I you want to fish with a guide and learn a few thinks about a given body of water, the experience is worth much more than they charge if you look at what you might spend trying to figure it out on your own. I have never spent a day with I guide that I felt like was wasted because I always try learn from his experience. Check out your guide before you hire him. If your complaining about what they charge, just remember you get what you pay for. I would rather pay a guide a good fee and him work hard to make sure he does everything he can to put me on fish or teach me something I need help with. Most guides work there butt off to make what they make.

As iron sharpens iron so one person sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17
Re: Guides Rate to lower due to Gasoline Prices [Re: RedRanger] #11416731 02/16/16 04:12 AM
J
John-Mark Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I cannot believe that this thread has gone on this long...
Guys are making a living and selling a product or service and a few individuals think it's their place to tell them what they should charge?
Wrong ... The collective paying customers dictate price... I wouldn't not ever be a guide... But if I was and could put people on 10 pound fish at a rate far above all other guides would what I was selling not be worth more? Going further most people that could afford it would pay to get that chance... If they can charge 1000 a day or more and make 250k a year net I say bully for them... What's wrong with people in this world that they think they can regulate free market? Jealousy? I don't know for sure but I say I hope these guys can make more than a good living I hope they make a exceptional living and provide themselves and their families all that's possible.... Shame on any of you for feeling it's your business to tell someone they make too much... Absolutely outrageous... Get outta here
Carry on
JD

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide