John-Mark Offline
Angler

Loc: Kilgore Tx
I asked yesterday about cleaning my boat
Didn't ask very clear
My boat is 3 years old... It stays covered under a car port
Gel coat is still in great shape and smooth
Just has lost its luster and sparkle...
I used Lucas wax spray but it spotted bad ...
Now I'm wanting that nice sparkle and shine
After I wash it what should I put on it? A polish? A polish/ wax?
So many options... Don't mind some elbow grease... Just want a good solid product that after I wash I can get that sparkle back then what wax should I put on to protect for this coming year...

Edited by John-Mark (02/09/16 06:47 PM)

#11403982 - 02/09/16 07:03 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
Dianabass Offline
Green Horn

Loc: East Texas
Originally Posted By: John-Mark
I asked yesterday about cleaning my boat
Didn't ask very clear
My boat is 3 years old... It stays covered under a car port
Gel coat is still in great shape and smooth
Just has lost its luster and sparkle...
I used Lucas wax spray but it spotted bad ...
Now I'm wanting that nice sparkle and shine
After I wash it what should I put on it? A polish? A polish/ wax?
So many options... Don't mind some elbow grease... Just want a good solid product that after I wash I can get that sparkle back then what wax should I put on to protect for this coming year...

I used 3m marine restorer and wax followed by starbrite premium marine polish with ptef on my wakeboard boat this past spring that worked great. I applied them with a buffer from harbor freight. If I knew how to post pics I would post before and after pics. My wakeboard boat is quite a bit older than your boat though and was pretty dull. You may try just a polish first before going to a product like the 3m with some grit to it.

Edited by Dianabass (02/09/16 07:05 PM)

#11403991 - 02/09/16 07:08 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Justin, TX.
There is a product called Hand Glaze. I have watched my old friend Mr. Piel in Odessa bring back the shine on many a old boat. Sorry don't know who carries it.
Worst comes to worst call them at Piel's Interprizes in Odessa, listed on Mockingbird Lane and have him send you a bottle. I would order two.

It is thick like a wax. Cleans everything off the boat. Put it on with a wet pad then use a buffer with a wet pad going in sections and repeating until you get what you want. Keep buffing with wet and dry pads until it is all gone. Wipe the boat down with Distilled water. Use clean cotton towels and go over the boat one more time catching the light form all directions, looking for any spot that needs more buffing. When it dries put on a good wax.

www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
Shallow Water Mapping - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

#11403997 - 02/09/16 07:10 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: NETX
I good buffing probably wouldn't hurt and keeping it out of direct sunlight is the biggest issue you will have in maintaining a beautiful gelcoat finish, sounds like you are doing that. There are several boat hull care products out there on the market, but before there were these products I used to use high end Carnauba based waxes and polishes like the Meguire's, Mother's, or Eagle One product lines for automotive finishes. Carnauba based waxes are the only ones I've seen that would stay on gelcoat for more than one washing or exposure to water. These waxes will last through months of trips to the lake and washes. I used to wax my rigs about half a dozen times a year or more. If the wax you are using is not carnauba based it may be just washing away as well.........
Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

#11404213 - 02/09/16 08:24 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
champ 198 Offline
Angler

Loc: mexia/sam rayburn tx.
I use Bow to stern [BTS] just spray it on,wipe it off.You can get it online,if you can't find local.Been using it a long time,all I use now.

#11404968 - 02/10/16 08:53 AM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
John-Mark Offline
Angler

Thanks for the answers guys

#11408410 - 02/11/16 05:27 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
bell0347 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Montgomery,TX
I've been using the Lucas slick mist for over a year and I love it. I know you said you tried Lucas spray wax and it spotted badly, not sure if we're talking about the same product. I keep the bottle in my boat with a couple of microfiber towels and I spray the boat down while it's still wet then dry it and buff it a little by hand. No spots, the water beads up on it and bugs and snot grass, etc just wipe off after a few applications. It also has UV protectors in it and doesn't turn my trim white. I even wipe down the windshields and gauges with it.

#11408971 - 02/11/16 09:33 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: Donald Harper]
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
Donald, will this stuff remove water line stains (brown) as well ?
Saw your advice, sounds solid.
Thanks - apologies for intrusion on your thread and request for information
God Bless
Lee
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
There is a product called Hand Glaze. I have watched my old friend Mr. Piel in Odessa bring back the shine on many a old boat. Sorry don't know who carries it.
Worst comes to worst call them at Piel's Interprizes in Odessa, listed on Mockingbird Lane and have him send you a bottle. I would order two.

It is thick like a wax. Cleans everything off the boat. Put it on with a wet pad then use a buffer with a wet pad going in sections and repeating until you get what you want. Keep buffing with wet and dry pads until it is all gone. Wipe the boat down with Distilled water. Use clean cotton towels and go over the boat one more time catching the light form all directions, looking for any spot that needs more buffing. When it dries put on a good wax.
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827

#11409033 - 02/11/16 10:03 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: champ 198]
Flippin-Out Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Magnolia, TX
Originally Posted By: champ 198
I use Bow to stern [BTS] just spray it on,wipe it off.You can get it online,if you can't find local.Been using it a long time,all I use now.

Champ, that type product is to maintain an already good surface. He's yet to get to that point.....

#11409058 - 02/11/16 10:18 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
John-Mark Offline
Angler

Thanks for all the help guys

I ended up doing this
Washed the heck out of it....
Then used a regular fiberglass boat cleaner / wax.... You rub it on when the boat is dry and it dries to a haze
It did wonders looks like new afterwards ... Took lots of elbow grease and time (6 hours total detail time)
Then went over the whole boat with the Lucas slick mist... Boat looks like new really...
Gonna check out the boat to stern
But I think spraying the Lucas slick mist on after each trip to the lake will keep her sparkling like new ... And good old armor all did wonders on the trolling motor and other plastic parts
Through on some tire magic to make the rims sparkle and make the tires look wet and it's back to looking great... Honestly to me there is no quick fix just good elbow grease and it shines right up.

#11409078 - 02/11/16 10:30 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
RodBreaker aka cwill Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Conroe Texas
I recommend NOT using Armor All on anything in your boat. I recommend 303 vinyl protectant. It has UV blockers. Armor all is bad bad for your boat seats and other plastics/vinyl. I'm sure alot of people will agree with me on this. Also I always wipe my boat off as soon as I pull it out at the launch with Lucas Slick Mist and it has an awesome shine

27.70 w/ 8.07 Big Bass
1st Place & Big Bass

#11409097 - 02/11/16 10:41 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
John-Mark Offline
Angler

Swapping to 303 then!

#11409102 - 02/11/16 10:49 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: RodBreaker aka cwill]
JoshJones1984 Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Sanger, TX
Originally Posted By: RodBreaker
I recommend NOT using Armor All on anything in your boat. I recommend 303 vinyl protectant. It has UV blockers. Armor all is bad bad for your boat seats and other plastics/vinyl. I'm sure alot of people will agree with me on this. Also I always wipe my boat off as soon as I pull it out at the launch with Lucas Slick Mist and it has an awesome shine

I don't have a lot of experience with boats, but 10 years in the car business has taught me- NEVER use Armor All. On anything. Period.

#11409105 - 02/11/16 10:52 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: John-Mark]
RodBreaker aka cwill Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Lake Conroe Texas
Originally Posted By: John-Mark
Swapping to 303 then!

Very good idea. Sun + Armor All = bang realmad barf flame

27.70 w/ 8.07 Big Bass
1st Place & Big Bass

#11409132 - 02/11/16 11:10 PM Re: Factory shine on fiberglass [Re: RodBreaker aka cwill]
Flippin-Out Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Magnolia, TX
Originally Posted By: RodBreaker

I am totally with you. I've never found anyone in the finish/detail business who didn't say the same about Armor-All. (One was the owner of a shop that specialized in refinish/detail work on six figure autos.) He put me onto 303 products too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide