Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11393916 02/05/16 03:44 PM
C
Cajun117 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Great info from all. Thanks all for sharing. Keep it coming!

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11394165 02/05/16 05:03 PM
Laner Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
One of the best post I've seen in a long time, Mr. Gaby.

My personal experience, without going into story my own story mode, is that the fish will chase the shad and completely gorge themselves right before the spawn, in a last minute attempt to pack on the calories to hold them over when they have other urges on their minds.

When the water and moon line up (mid to upper 50s and full moon building) they will begin spawning in large numbers, switching from eating bait to killing bait in order to protect their eggs. Do they still eat? Yes, but not like they will pre spawn and post spawn.

I want to continue on this subject, but I don't want to get fired for typing a fishing novel smile

As for people needing pictures of three to four inch shad in a crappie's belly, I'll take a few and post them this spring. Til then, here is an example that was sent to me from Mr. Muschalek out of Lubbock, Tx.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

Check Out The New Website!!!

TCU Alumni class of 2009

Owner/Operator Ft. Worth's Premiere Guide Service: www.ftworthfishing.com
817-266-9811

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11394257 02/05/16 05:36 PM
K
Ken Gaby Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
K
Laner, when you get time, come on back and give us that novel. I know it will be enlightening. thumb Especially since you have extensive experience with black and white crappie.

When they feed and when they don't during spawn cycle is also something I've changed my mind about. I've come to the conclusion that once that urge to build nests and lay eggs really takes hold, eating is secondary till the task is finished. If we have cold fronts every 2-3 days as we did about two years ago, the fish really take a beating trying to finish the spawn cycle.

A life without God is like an unsharpened pencil, it has no point. Billy Graham
www.thermoclinelures.com "Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
http://www.crazyanglertackle.com Premium crappie baits and jig tying accessories
http://www.proanglertackle.com Best crappie and catfish rods/reels
http://www.beereadys.com World's Best Rod Holders
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Laner] #11394277 02/05/16 05:42 PM
L
leanin post Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Laner
One of the best post I've seen in a long time, Mr. Gaby.

My personal experience, without going into story my own story mode, is that the fish will chase the shad and completely gorge themselves right before the spawn, in a last minute attempt to pack on the calories to hold them over when they have other urges on their minds.

When the water and moon line up (mid to upper 50s and full moon building) they will begin spawning in large numbers, switching from eating bait to killing bait in order to protect their eggs. Do they still eat? Yes, but not like they will pre spawn and post spawn.

I want to continue on this subject, but I don't want to get fired for typing a fishing novel smile

As for people needing pictures of three to four inch shad in a crappie's belly, I'll take a few and post them this spring. Til then, here is an example that was sent to me from Mr. Muschalek out of Lubbock, Tx.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

Lane what im speaking of is SHECRASPPIES claim, that his fish eats 4 to 5., 3 to 4 inch minnows in abt a minute in his fish tank . I requested a video and he cant seem to produce one.
Let me ask you yourself, who along with Chuck and other guides you worked with,who clean thousands of big crappie a year, surely you would have some pics if it were a common or even possible thing for 4 to 5 four inch shad to be in a crappies belly? I didnt say 1, 4 inch shad, I said several.
Ive cleaned plenty and never found more than a couple small minnow or shad, or maybe one big shad in the belly. I only catch pound and 3/4 though// maybe 2 pounders are different .. ha

COMING SOON! .. THE STICKLE HOOK " the stay level sickle hook". sits level in the water with all knots.! Provides better hook sets and more natural jigging motion. No more adjusting the knot, gluing , or tying loop knots that cause the hook point to tangle in the loop, or worse knick the line.. The jighook that will make all others obsolete !
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11394358 02/05/16 06:23 PM
Chris H2Os Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby
Laner, when you get time, come on back and give us that novel. I know it will be enlightening. thumb Especially since you have extensive experience with black and white crappie.

When they feed and when they don't during spawn cycle is also something I've changed my mind about. I've come to the conclusion that once that urge to build nests and lay eggs really takes hold, eating is secondary till the task is finished. If we have cold fronts every 2-3 days as we did about two years ago, the fish really take a beating trying to finish the spawn cycle.

Ken, your comment above just made me think of how skinny the fish were post spawn a couple of years ago. The bigger fish didn't weigh what they normally would and had no bellies on them. You could really tell they had been deprived of their 1 minnow per meal during the spawn.

Last edited by Chris H2Os; 02/08/16 10:07 PM.
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: leanin post] #11394676 02/05/16 08:04 PM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Here is a couple of 3" to 4" shad that were in a pre-spawn crappie I caught a couple years ago.

Fish was caught on a 1/32 oz Road runner white/pink/white

Life is Good..<><

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: leanin post] #11394990 02/05/16 10:04 PM
R
RODS454 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Here we go again, popcorn
This is what SheCrappieKilla is referring to I think. Please excuse my copy and paste as I want to quote you correctly.

" It has nothing to do with whether they feed more in winter or spring or summer or fall. Everything has to do with the ease of obtaining a meal. I often hear guys say.. THE CRAPPIE WERE STUFFED WITH SHAD.. Really,, so you cut them open an 10, shad fell out of thier stomach, 7, 5 , 2 ?? MALARKY,, Ive never caught a crappie with more than one shad or minnow in its belly, and some partially digested goop in the intesines. The fact is, crappie will eat one or 2 minnow or shad every couple days. I know this because I had one in a tank for close to a year, and observed how often it fed. I actually counted the minnows daily."

Now that being said I have been in contact with an Arkansas Wildlife official that makes the same claim as Laner, and also has no pictures. He says it is so common as to not raise an eyebrow. I would tend to believe him before some anecdotal evidence. Although I would like to see that picture. I've personally caught a 16" bass with an 8" crappie hanging out of his mouth. Still trying to eat. I would think any predator fish would try to feed at any opportunity. JMO.
Great write up Ken. And Laner I'm looking forward to the novel!

"I'd rather be fishing!"
[Linked Image]

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: RODS454] #11395418 02/06/16 01:24 AM
S
SheCrappieKilla Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Originally Posted By: RODS454
Here we go again, popcorn
This is what SheCrappieKilla is referring to I think. Please excuse my copy and paste as I want to quote you correctly.

" It has nothing to do with whether they feed more in winter or spring or summer or fall. Everything has to do with the ease of obtaining a meal. I often hear guys say.. THE CRAPPIE WERE STUFFED WITH SHAD.. Really,, so you cut them open an 10, shad fell out of thier stomach, 7, 5 , 2 ?? MALARKY,, Ive never caught a crappie with more than one shad or minnow in its belly, and some partially digested goop in the intesines. The fact is, crappie will eat one or 2 minnow or shad every couple days. I know this because I had one in a tank for close to a year, and observed how often it fed. I actually counted the minnows daily."

Now that being said I have been in contact with an Arkansas Wildlife official that makes the same claim as Laner, and also has no pictures. He says it is so common as to not raise an eyebrow. I would tend to believe him before some anecdotal evidence. Although I would like to see that picture. I've personally caught a 16" bass with an 8" crappie hanging out of his mouth. Still trying to eat. I would think any predator fish would try to feed at any opportunity. JMO.
Great write up Ken. And Laner I'm looking forward to the novel!

Rods, that's is it. I was referring to Leaning Posts comment about crappie only eating one minnow or shad. Just giving him a hard time and not letting him spread false rumors.

I can't currently find the picture but I cleaned a crappie last year that had a 5 inch yellow bass and a couple of shad in her belly. I sent that pic to several people, maybe they can find it.

Yep, she was a pig.

Last edited by TreeBass; 02/08/16 01:10 PM.
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Chris H2Os] #11395437 02/06/16 01:31 AM
S
Stucky76 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Chris H2Os
Originally Posted By: Ken Gaby

Ken, you comment above just made me think of how skinny the fish were post spawn a couple of years ago. The bigger fish didn't weigh what they normally would and had no bellies on them. You could really tell they had been deprived of their 1 minnow per meal during the spawn.

roflmao

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11395946 02/06/16 11:39 AM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
boxing
duel
slinger
hung

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11396015 02/06/16 01:19 PM
J
JKeller Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Great read guys. I have recently purchased a boat and I am struggling to learn these details. If I can't help the wife catch fish, that's a problem. Thanks!

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11396213 02/06/16 03:22 PM
C
cellis Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Good stuff, Ken thumb

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11396324 02/06/16 04:53 PM
A
ATM97 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
A
Great post, thanks for all the information.

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: Ken Gaby] #11398028 02/07/16 05:15 PM
F
FishHarder Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Excellent post and that brings up a good question,at least for me. What types of bottom do crappie prefer?

Re: Let's Talk Spring Crappie [Re: FishHarder] #11398044 02/07/16 05:26 PM
K
KidKrappie Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: FishHarder
Excellent post and that brings up a good question,at least for me. What types of bottom do crappie prefer?

They like hard bottom in the spring. Rock/gravel has always been good for me.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide