Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: Donald Harper] #11389299 02/03/16 08:11 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Originally Posted By: David Burton
Donald,

I think I am reading you as something like this...

That red square is the outside bend of the channel. It will produce as a channel swing close to the bank sometimes. The inside bend is on the right side of the creek and there is lots of water and bushes between the creek and the shore. Those Bass will prefer that big flat to the right and will move from one bush to the next until they have ambushed all the pray they need as they are moving toward the shallower water.

One of the best spots I see on there is just to the left of the 15ft. mark. That creek channel runs right between two wide contours or flats. I would prefer the one on the right side because it is furthermost from the shore.

This is interesting. That channel swing appears to be about 200 yards from the bank on the right. I would have never considered a "flat" of that size something worth looking for pre-spawn and spawing fish on. I'd always concentrated on shallow water much closer to the creek channel

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11389374 02/03/16 08:43 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Big Bass like big flats. It is all about having 10 times the choices of spots to spawn. A large flat holds more bushes and other cover at different depths. It holds the potential for a second drop or contour line which it has. Stair stepping the elevation up to the shallows is important. The big fish want plenty of room to roam looking for the right spot as they travel to the shallows for feeding or spawning.

Big flats also provide all the right cover for ambush points along the way to the shallows for feeding fish during other times of the year other than the spawn. Each Bass will move from bush, to stump, to rocks, and etc. toward the shallows using the same ones each day on their feeding patterns for ambush points. They become very familiar with the cover that is there and will use some of that same cover to spawn on or beside when the time comes.

It has been my experience on the short flats or the ones with the shortest distance from the creek channel to the shoreline to produce more schooling fish. These fish seen to disappear much quicker as they make short runs to the bank to corner pray and then are gone.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11389573 02/03/16 09:54 PM
txsuperman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
great info. thanks

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11389648 02/03/16 10:39 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
To expand on this a little, if the flat you mentioned above did not have much for cover, say scattered grass and a stump here and there, would it still be an effective flat, or is that just wasted space? Would you still cover it or just move up the creek more? I sometimes have a hard time correlating what I am looking at on the map to what I see while I am on the water. I guess that is probably what makes some fisherman better than others. These kind of posts are extremely beneficial to someone like me. It would be interesting to have the pic of the map, and a pic of what that looks like from on the water perspective.

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: redskeet100] #11389717 02/03/16 11:08 PM
txsuperman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: redskeet100
To expand on this a little, if the flat you mentioned above did not have much for cover, say scattered grass and a stump here and there, would it still be an effective flat, or is that just wasted space? Would you still cover it or just move up the creek more? I sometimes have a hard time correlating what I am looking at on the map to what I see while I am on the water. I guess that is probably what makes some fisherman better than others. These kind of posts are extremely beneficial to someone like me. It would be interesting to have the pic of the map, and a pic of what that looks like from on the water perspective.

Exactly what I was wondering. I know some flats on a few lakes I fish, or what I think are flats, but the have barely any cover or none at all.

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11389731 02/03/16 11:13 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
I'll take pics next time I'm out there of this creek.

But, if you find the Bob Sandlin Honey Hole episode you can see some of it. He was fishing the shore with frogs, but some of the wide shots show the water in that area if I remember correctly.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11389951 02/04/16 12:45 AM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
This is what I have found. Scattered cover will usually produce a fish on each piece. That is all they have, just not many bass moving up there. Lots of cover accommodates more fish with certain sections of the large flat holding the bigger fish. The more cover the easier it is to cast out in "No Man's Land" and get a Crig. or crank close to cover you can't visibly see. Knowing for sure there are 3 stumps and a underwater bush out there in front of you makes it much easier. Maybe the 360 degree scan would be the ticket.

Having the capability to drive over these large flats and make you own map will make all the difference. I need someone to teach me what programs to purchase and how to use them.

If Mr. Burton has this technology, I would gladly pay for the lessons and trips to learn.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11390019 02/04/16 01:11 AM
B
BeardedBanker Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Let me see if I'm following. On this map, the area in the middle of the cove on each side of creek channel is what your calling the flat? In an area like this you focus on creek bends and cover? I think I need good lesson on reading maps. I understand ledges, humps, and points but have harder times recognizing funnel points and flats. Read a good post a while back on funnel points.

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: BeardedBanker] #11392096 02/04/16 08:54 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Rkangler
Let me see if I'm following. On this map, the area in the middle of the cove on each side of creek channel is what your calling the flat? In an area like this you focus on creek bends and cover? I think I need good lesson on reading maps. I understand ledges, humps, and points but have harder times recognizing funnel points and flats. Read a good post a while back on funnel points.

Look to the left of the 15 ft. marker in the middle of the Screen Shot. See the creek channel run between two wide contour lines. One is on the short side (left) of the creek. It is a small flat coming off of the little point which is called a point hook. The point drops off quick on the tip end; but the flat hooks to the left and drops off into the creek. The contour line on the right also forms a under water point that comes to a point as it drops off into the creek. Again , I like the larger flat and under water structure that takes place next to the creek. If there is any cover next to that creek then that should be the spot or comfort zone of several fish. They will then use that flat and slight rise in contour to move toward the shallows each feeding period.

We just cannot tell by looking at Nav. Charts what is on that flat. We don't see any cover; so, big disadvantage to have to fish all of it to feel for the bushes and rocks. Once you have the capability of mapping problem will be solved. I feel I would be able to take that information and learn the routes or funnel points as they are called to catch more and bigger bass on the flats if you know where every bush, rock and stump is located.

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392110 02/04/16 08:58 PM
capt grumpy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Don knows what he is talking about flats, he whipped me bad one day in the salinas on falcon. I have fished with Don harper for 6 or 7 years he is very sharp on finding fish if it is tough. That being said you dont want him for a net man if your fish is bigger than his he will knock it off LOL.

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392182 02/04/16 09:19 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Sounds a lot like patterning deer movement from bedding areas to feeding areas to breeding areas. Added dimension here is doing it under water with maps, electronics, and by feel. I will be trying to implement this type of thinking into my fishing days! I am usually a follow my gut, fly by the seat of my pants, type fisherman which works for me but I could benefit from this more purposeful thinking approach! Thank you for the cool thread and the insights.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392235 02/04/16 09:38 PM
M. Alexander Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Never expected such great and detailed responses. Thanks for your input, Mr. Harper.

Mark
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392290 02/04/16 09:54 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Very funny Grumpy. Please go make me some more Cat Tails in Falcon Green. Ha..

Websiite Sponsors:

Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392347 02/04/16 10:13 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
Guess I'll head to Sandlin on Sunday after the Fork Guide tournament. I have HDS gen2 and can record tracks then submit to insight genesis for an updated map. We'll see what I can get you, Don, to help everyone out!

Here's the full satellite of the area, expect to see social map there soon:

Last edited by David Burton; 02/04/16 10:17 PM. Reason: Add image

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Let's talk flats... [Re: M. Alexander] #11392389 02/04/16 10:32 PM
R
redskeet100 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I find my biggest problem, looking at the satellite view of that same cove and comparing it to the map view is to actually find that creek channel turn and the points it creates. I think I go by too much above the water visual and not paying close enough attention to the graphs and maps. I tend to get a bit overwhelmed trying to find stuff since I have limited time on the water due to having young kids at home. The information in these kind of threads really help a lot.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide