Print Thread
A few things I learned this weekend. #11383407 02/01/16 02:45 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I suppose it is really only one thing, but 2 important applications. I've been using an old hairdryer to set paints, but I bought a heat gun. So why not use it. What I learned is that it is infinitely hotter than the hair dryer. How it applies is that it is a really bad idea to grab ahold of the business end of the heat gun to set back on the floor after use, and that leaving the heat on a rattletrap too long will make it blow up like a balloon.

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11383496 02/01/16 03:26 PM
B
basscat dad Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
here's you sign!

"dreamers have tomorrow if today does not come true"
Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11383849 02/01/16 05:55 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
I never claimed to be smart, but I can learn.

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11384053 02/01/16 07:28 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Ouch. Hope youre OK. Thanks for sharing as I'm sure others don't want to learn that lesson the way you did.

Heres some food for thought on heat guns, hair dryers and airbrush paints. For starters, its always a really good idea to read the manufacture's application guide for any paint before spraying. It will always sail beyond the marketing hype and provide fact based insight. The few moments it takes to read can save lots of grief down the road.

As an example, if you happen to be using Createx or Wicked, the application guide advises to air dry before applying any heat. It also warns if you apply heat with a heat gun, you must keep the temp below 300 degrees F. To cure the paint, you only need to heat the paint until it feels warm. You can do that with a lot less heat than 300 degrees F.

Since were painting tiny surface areas compared to a motorcycle tank or car body part, a heat gun for lures is likely overkill if youre just painting a few lures. The exception might be if youre painting a lot of baits at a time and need to move a lot of hot air over a large area.

Also, keep in mind that many heat guns do not have a low enough setting to work with Createx or Wicked paints. Many of the heat guns available from big box stores are 2 speed guns that either work at 500 or 1000 degrees F. Even the low setting on those guns is way too hot to use with Createx or Wicked paints.

You could use one of the more expensive variable temperature range heat guns with a LED read out but youd most likely use it at the lowest setting, typically 150 degrees since this will warm the paint up in just a few seconds on a small lure body. On the other hand hair dryers are regulated to not heat up over 140 degrees F for safety reasons, then again, a hair dryer is still plenty hot enough to cure the paint without burning yourself in the process.

Blue Moon

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11384334 02/01/16 09:34 PM
S
swalker9513 Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
S
Thanks for the insight, and welcome to the forum. You have already proven to be very helpful. I will be going back to the hair dryer for setting paint. I got the heat gun for something else, but figured hotter must be better. I was wrong.

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11384465 02/01/16 10:45 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I heat set all my paints with a heat gun at 450 degree setting, jus a quick pass along each side and then on to the next coat. I did the hair dryer for s while but it takes to long she your painting 20-30 baits at a time. I use the Wagner that adjusts from 250-1500 degrees and it does everything I need to do.

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #11384574 02/01/16 11:49 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
When I was making a decision on what paint to use for lures, I spoke to one of the technical advisors at Createx they also make Wicked & AutoAir, and asked about best use and proper application of their various products. Some of the info they shared with me might be helpful to others and is on point with this topic.

For starters, Createx is formulated to be extremely flexible for t-shirts and textiles in general. Because of the formula, it will stay tacky/sticky even after you air dry it until you cure it with heat. In other words Createx requires heat to cure. Because of this everyone uses a hairdryer or heat gun to set it.

On the other hand heat is not recommended to assist drying of Wicked or any of the Auto Air Colors as it may cause a latex like finish to develop that will easily peel off. See point 6 under Drying and Curing Times on the 2015 Hard Surface Application Guide. The only time heat is recommended with Wicked is if you're going to spray it on a t-shirt that will go through a wash cycle. Even then, they recommend first air drying to avoid the possible latex film peel that heat can cause if you bypass the air dry step.

Createx recommends a fan blowing 200 feet per minute for proper drying airflow if you are shooting their Wicked paint but personally since Im working on such a small painted area and only doing a couple lures at a time, I just use my airbrush to keep air flowing for a few seconds after each coat to air dry before shooting another coat or another Wicked color. I do bake mine for awhile in a food dehydrator before epoxy just to make 100 percent sure all moisture is removed so it doesn't impact the clear coat but it's not necessary if it's fully dry.

Anyway, for the mere mortals shooting Wicked, especially those without the mad professional skills of a master painter like Brad, it might be a good idea to review the application guides to avoid peeling. My above suggestions only apply to Createx and Wicked since those are the only two application guides I'm familiar with. If you're using other brands best to consult their specific application guides - but likely if you are using something intended for t-shirts and crafts, you are going to need heat to fully cure.

Best,

Blue Moon

Re: A few things I learned this weekend. [Re: swalker9513] #11384639 02/02/16 12:18 AM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I'm in no way saying my method is the correct or best way to dry or heat cure paint. I'm sure the paint manufacturing company's know what is best for their product. They also don't recomend using the floor shine to cut the pain with either, but it works great for me using the ac1315 as a top coat. My process is just what I have found to work best for me by a lot of trial and error. My baits have the finish and durability I look for and I can do them faster with my process.

Again not saying it's the best way to do it, but it works good for me.

Last edited by Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad; 02/02/16 12:19 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide