Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: chuck_w] #11411620 02/13/16 03:26 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: chuck_w
In regards to the Vote.....Do we have enough information to start a Vote? I thought we were still in the information gathering phase. I certainly mean no disrespect to you guys and really appreciate you doing all this work. I just don't want to put the cart before the horse here.

Chuck .... good question. Here's some more info about the boats in question that may help someone who is not aware of everything.

Scat Cat: I think nearly everyone here is basically familiar with this vessel. It's an 85' vessel with all the amenities anyone could want for comfort. Upstairs seating and area for ice chests and rods, reels and tackle boxes. Downside ..... patched up staircase bang . Inside there is a galley and tables for eating and for certain individuals to work on their tackle .... you know who you are smile. There is a grill upstairs. It has 24 bunks that are fairly decent. A shower and two restrooms come in handy. There is plenty of carrying capacity in the fish boxes and the captain and crew are friendly .... if you don't sit at their table. The last rate per person I have seen listed is $810 .... not sure what it is now. their trip is a 56 hour trip leaving at 6 AM returning at 2 PM and they offer sleeping on the boat the night before the trip leaves. They also help to load personal gear. They offer fish cleaning services. This boat does approx. 13 knots .... 14 on a good day with following seas.

I would rate their catch record about 4 stars..

If I've forgotten something, let me know.

Dolphin Express: 95' boat ...This is the largest, roomiest and fastest party boat in Port Aransas. It has 16 bunks and takes a maximum of 16 anglers. Because they want to. It has a small galley. a shower and restrooms. Very spacious inside. It also has upstairs seating, lounging and storage for ice chests, rods and reels (even all of yours and mine Chuck wink ) I have been told there is more room on deck for casting than the other boats but cannot confirm or deny that. Because the boat does 18 knots and has much less travel time their trip is a 50 hour trip departing usually departing 10 - 11 AM and returning 12 - 1 PM. As far as I know they do not offer lodging on the boat the night before the trip since there is a later trip time. I am pretty sure they help load gear upstairs like the Scat Cat. There is plenty of fish carrying capacity I think their rate is $900 - 910 per person but am not sure. Their captain and crew is top notch. They offer fish cleaning services.

I would rate their catch record 5 stars.

Pelican and Gulf Eagle: These are older, smaller boats strictly for fishing. Of the two the Gulf Eagle is the roomiest and most comfortable. their trips are 48 hour trips that are adjusted by the captains as they see fit. Maybe more or maybe less when they limit. the trips are from 6 AM - 6 AM and they do not offer sleeping on board the night before but I hear there are motels in Port Aransas that offer a discount if you tell them you are fishing with DSH. While not as fast as the Dolphin Express both boats are faster than the Scat Cat. There is no galley but they have microwaves, cooking utensils and have said they will have grills. the Pelican carries 12 fishers and the Gulf Eagle carries 15. They have restrooms but no showers at this time. The captain is trying to add a small shower on the Pelican. The captain and crew on the Pelican are the best in Port Aransas IMO. I do not know about the Gulf Eagle. Fishing space is ample but you are limited to the size of ice chest you can take. I am not sure what the guidelines are there but I think it has to fit under the benches. Space for carrying rods and reels will be less meaning Chuck and I can't fish on the same boat smile. In the past they have not helped customers load but I am sure they would if you needed help. Fish carrying capacity has been suspect in the past but the new captain has taken steps to fix that. They offer fish cleaning services. Their new rate for 2016 is $750 I think.

Their catch record is definitely 5 star.

I would think for those coming from out of town it would be an advantage for some of the early arrival times returning from the trip.

I hope this info helps in voting.

"still" awesum
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11411647 02/13/16 03:42 PM
D
DeepBlueGulf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
Brian,

Sending you a private message.

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11411994 02/13/16 08:16 PM
fwm0103 Offline
Angler
Angler
Before voting, and after Bobby's post, if we chose the Scat Cat, would it be feasible to go somewhere other than Perdido? If we did would it open up other options for day time deep drop fishing?

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11412573 02/14/16 02:01 AM
lite-liner Offline OP
Capt. CUDA
OP Offline
Capt. CUDA
You are correct, Bobby. I forgot the Express & I apologize. Tim is a forum member & his reputation precedes him.
they also put up good numbers. Also heard from more than 1 person fish cleaning is mandatory, not "offered". smile

While I'm humbled that I was chosen to do this, y'all need to find somebody else. I think I'm gonna focus on the important stuff for a while. I've got way too many risky irons in the fire this year.
I'm off the trip.
all deposits have been refunded

I strongly nominate Bobby Jones (tunatamer) to run this thing. Y'all are in WAY better hands with him than I.
He is far more in touch with the folks down there for way longer than me, & honestly I'm still kinda biased towards FW.
I hope everyone understands.

Thanks,
-Brian

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11412749 02/14/16 03:18 AM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Brian thanks for the nomination but I am not your guy. I'm way too old .... just ask dubya.

You'll do just fine.

bolt

"still" awesum
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11413919 02/14/16 11:07 PM
Allison1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I wish you'd reconsider Brian but with a new business and the move I understand completely.

I don't have a favorite boat since the only one I've been on is the Scat Cat. I like that one for the comfort.

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11414043 02/15/16 12:26 AM
C
chuck_w Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Brian, thanks for all you have done. I know you have been very busy and I wondered if you really had time for all of this research, not to mention all of the personalities! It's a thankless job but you have stepped up many times in the past and always done a stellar job. Thank you my friend.

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11414118 02/15/16 01:07 AM
lite-liner Offline OP
Capt. CUDA
OP Offline
Capt. CUDA
guys, I gotta come clean. I swore to myself after the last trip in November
that I was done with Port A headboat runs. I've been doing it for 13 years & I'm literally tired of catching 60# tunas. ( tough problem, right?) I need a bigger challenge.
I'm getting older, & it's time I start focusing on "further-out" kinda trips.
Portugal/Gibraltar is what I wanna focus on for this year, & maybe TOO's Son-2 on the bluefin this summer
it's a 12 & it's cheap. also wanna leave myself open for Bill's upcoming trip.
my goal this year is to bag a few tunas over 100# on poppers. If Gibraltar happens, based on Mark's research
I have the opportunity to stand on 3 separate continents in the same day!!! can't even imagine the photo opp's
anyway, that's the reason I bailed.
I know y'all can pick a good chartermaster, you already did once or twice, LOL
tight lines, amigos
-B

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11415486 02/15/16 06:34 PM
C
chuck_w Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: lite-liner
You are correct, Bobby. I forgot the Express & I apologize. Tim is a forum member & his reputation precedes him.
they also put up good numbers. Also heard from more than 1 person fish cleaning is mandatory, not "offered". smile

While I'm humbled that I was chosen to do this, y'all need to find somebody else. I think I'm gonna focus on the important stuff for a while. I've got way too many risky irons in the fire this year.
I'm off the trip.
all deposits have been refunded

I strongly nominate Bobby Jones (tunatamer) to run this thing. Y'all are in WAY better hands with him than I.
He is far more in touch with the folks down there for way longer than me, & honestly I'm still kinda biased towards FW.
I hope everyone understands.

Thanks,
-Brian

I second the vote for Bobby!! banana

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11415680 02/15/16 08:12 PM
G
grescobia Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Lit-liner,I have a trip in sept. at prince Edward island for BFT.You might want to put that on your bucket list

Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11415731 02/15/16 08:36 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Brian, if you want BIG tuna, then is there a suitable boat that runs out of Port Fourchon, Grand Isle or Venice that could accommodate a group? They certainly do get their share of 100+ pound YFT out thataway.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: chuck_w] #11416224 02/16/16 12:40 AM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: chuck_w
I second the vote for Bobby!! banana

Hey guys and girls ..... (awesum waving hand in the air wanting to speak.)

While we seem to be in a "come clean" mode I guess it's my turn. I responded to the post about getting on this trip knowing I have some physical issues that need to be addressed prior to tackling any more tuna. More specifically my back and wrist. I was a total wreck on the last trip after fighting two fish back to back that first night. I'm not totally incapacitated but on the DL for now.

That is the main reason I have not stepped up to organize this trip. The second reason is that it's just not good business to entrust $20,000 +/- to someone who is desperate to get two new four strokes for his boat. sarcastic

I'd like to throw something out here.

In my opinion this trip doesn't have to fold because Mark and Brian are going to Portugal. I'm pretty sure that there are 20 or more folks here that still want to do this trip and on the Scat Cat. Not having a trip organizer doesn't kill it. What needs to happen is someone needs to talk to FW and make them aware that you have This many folks but no one to be the front man. They can designate it as an open trip. But for things to go right you need for everyone to be firmly committed with money in hand to send the initial deposit to them. You'll each need to correspond directly with the docks.

I would suggest getting organized via email using last year's trip addresses, etc. I noticed that Fred (hyperman) Mallett has his name down. Since Fred knows these people real well and is over there somewhat regularly perhaps he could ask FW what y'all need to do to secure this trip. I don't think much needs to change. you could still call it the Margarita Mojo Memorial too.

Heck it might not take more than a phone call to them to find out.

As far as I know San Dinh has the weekend of November 4, 5 & 6 booked but the two prior weekends are open and both should be good. I do know that if you choose the Halloween weekend that Tom Salazar cannot go.

So if y'all really want to go fishing I'd say get on the horn.

But be warned .... there won't be bacon wrapped dove breasts on this trip unless someone else steps in. smile

"still" awesum
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11416656 02/16/16 03:38 AM
lite-liner Offline OP
Capt. CUDA
OP Offline
Capt. CUDA
hey Zack- there used to be a group out of fourchon running the Carribean Sea, think it was Mike Tomeny.
but I have heard exactly ZERO from that operation in like 8 years. I've been to venice 3 times since then & never seen his boats out there.
Kind of a bummer, I always hoped that thing would take off.

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: tunatamer] #11416676 02/16/16 03:43 AM
lite-liner Offline OP
Capt. CUDA
OP Offline
Capt. CUDA
Originally Posted By: tunatamer

But be warned .... there won't be bacon wrapped dove breasts on this trip unless someone else steps in. smile

you never know........................ peep

[Linked Image]
Re: Lets Talk Tuna people! [Re: lite-liner] #11416709 02/16/16 03:56 AM
D
DeepBlueGulf Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
It'll more likely be bacon wrapped fish and chips!

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide