Print Thread
Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? #11366982 01/24/16 08:20 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I should have posted this a week or so ago and I saw it over on Facebook, that a kayaker, Simon, bought a simple plastic tray or drawer (Amazon, see below) and then he took some large diameter pieces of pool noodle (it looks to be about 3 or 4" in diameter) and notched out ninety degrees of it from, say, 12 to 3 using a clock position analogy.

So, in so doing, it creates a flat ledge for the tray to sit in on each side raised by pool noodle. I don't recall what he used to tie to all together but the pool noodle should be attached to the tray firmly. It looks like some plastic ties would work well.

Well, then for those of us with kayak seats that sit up high with space underneath, you have a very nice and spacious tackle container with room for terminal tackle, lures, etc. This keeps your things up and out of any water in your kayak, is easy to pull out and push back under a seat. Too, since it is open, you don't have to fumble around as much opening Plano boxes.

Very cool!

Take a look! Brad

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11371822 01/26/16 08:09 PM
darjeeling Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
I like that idea. Better then just throwing lures on the deck to get snagged and/or tangled.

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11371880 01/26/16 08:33 PM
S
Simon Erich Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Thanks for the credit Brad!

I had actually bought a couple of clear shoeboxes from the container store and they do a good job storing items but I really wanted something that was a "no hassle" way to access bait, hooks, sunscreen etc. So I came up with the 'Make Ready' drawer.

Here's the drawer I purchased:
Rubbermaid Extra Deep Desk Drawer Director Tray, Plastic, 11.875 x 15 x 2.5 Inches, Black (11906ROS)
by Eldon Link: http://amzn.com/B00006IA5D

Here's the pool noodle, and you are correct that it was a 3" diameter noodle, but mostly because it offers more support and won't wear quite as quickly as a smaller noodle. Link: http://amzn.com/B005ECAFMW

I used 3 long zip ties to secure it to the box. There's probably a cleaner way to do this, but this has worked out fine for the year or so that I've been using it.

I used an awl to punch holes in the side and bottom, though I could have drilled them as well. I also recommend putting some holes in the bottom of the compartments to allow for water drainage. This is something that's happened more often lately because I've been fishing in higher winds and rain. Definitely don't want it to sit in there overnight.

The Negatives:

- The center console blocks the drawer from coming out much further than the first row of compartments unless your seat is pretty far back (which will work for people with longer legs). I end up rotating the drawer under my seat when I want to reach the side and back compartments. It work fine, it rotates under the seat without any issues.

- You also need to clean it out every so often, otherwise it gets kinda junky (like a junk drawer).

- No lid, so if you turtle your yak (or 'tortoise' it on land) then you're going to have all of that loose in the water. That hasn't ever happened to me, but it certainly could.

Here's what I keep in my drawer (pretty much all the time):

Front compartments:
- 2 compartments for new soft plastics (usually broken up by type)
- 1 compartment for used soft plastics (that I empty after every trip)
- 1 compartment for weights and hooks and I'll throw a crankbait in there to swap out

Middle compartments:
- Garlic Spray
- Paint Marker
- Wacky Ring Tool
- Stringer
- Face sunscreen
- Thermacell replacements

Back Compartment:
- Large sunscreen
- Bug spray

Let me know if you have any other questions or ideas on how to improve this! Thanks!

Simon

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11371954 01/26/16 09:02 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Simon, good details! I think I ended up with the same drawer from Amazon though I have yet to rig it up. I need to get the pool noodle and get this neat idea fabricated.

It sit within an inch of all the way back on my Slayer Propel 10, so I think it should be okay.

The problem I have had with the underseat storage I have is it isn't all that easy to pull the Plano boxes out of the Native product. It is okay but this looks faster.

Brad

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11372017 01/26/16 09:32 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Buy some of these,

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Flexible-Pla...+board+flexible

zip tie to the back loosely so it will pivot on the ties and add a piece of bungy across the front and you have a cover.

Nice idea.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11373234 01/27/16 01:32 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Hey Bert!

A good idea to put a lid on Simon's contraption.

I see this under-seat option as being a place to put a few of my plastics to target whatever fishing I plan that day, then a place to put a handful of sinkers, hooks, leader line, etc. And, in addition to my typical finesse stuff, a few top waters, maybe a spinnerbait, etc.

I need to get into the habit of trolling a lure while I am moving around on lakes, likely missing some fish that'd be there that I am passing over as it stands now.

Brad

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11374078 01/27/16 06:43 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You would not miss as many if you had a good fish finder... bolt

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11374133 01/27/16 07:03 PM
S
Simon Erich Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Thanks Bert!

I considered a lid but it kind of defeats the purpose of the drawer. It would be more difficult to access the contents and when I rotate the drawer to reach the sides and back it would make it very hard to get into it. I never pull the drawer all the way out from under the seat, only turn it to access the different compartments since mine only slides out about 4" from under the seat.

Simon Erich

#teamyakusa
Kayak Bass Angler
Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11374161 01/27/16 07:16 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Kayakers would be lost without pool noodles!

Just one more cast!

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11374499 01/27/16 09:11 PM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Yes, I'll probably go "convertible top" like Simon's.

Bert, no doubt that I'll have some sort of electronics very soon. For now, I am going broke building the house in Athens! Ha!

For everyone else, Bert's electronics really picked up the fish action back in November on Wheeler Branch.

Speaking of Wheeler Branch, we are just a few weeks away from a point in time last year when the LMBs started moving back into the shallows, coves, etc. sort of pre-spawn. This was a much milder winter, at least so far, so it could happen a bit earlier I suppose. Anyway, fishing from the bank out there in March was very solid, then when I first made a big loop around the lake with a buddy in my big canoe, I caught them all around the perimeter. A lot of these fish were in the 3 lbs. range, really nice fish.

Later, when the spawn is full force, it really picks up. One of my friends caught 19 bass never moving more than a yard or two in either direction. He was throwing a green lizard and dragging it across the spawning beds and catching one on about every few casts.

They spawn in stages out there and we caught them back deep in that hair-pen cove way back near the end of the trail for bankfishermen in late May as I recall.

Once the hot summer started, it became easier to catch them out near the island, along the dam is always good.

Another trip soon?

Brad

Re: Have y'all seen this underseat storage device? [Re: Brad R] #11375159 01/28/16 01:47 AM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Cool idea.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide