Thanks for the credit Brad!
I had actually bought a couple of clear shoeboxes from the container store and they do a good job storing items but I really wanted something that was a "no hassle" way to access bait, hooks, sunscreen etc. So I came up with the 'Make Ready' drawer.
Here's the drawer I purchased:
Rubbermaid Extra Deep Desk Drawer Director Tray, Plastic, 11.875 x 15 x 2.5 Inches, Black (11906ROS)
by Eldon Link: http://amzn.com/B00006IA5D
Here's the pool noodle, and you are correct that it was a 3" diameter noodle, but mostly because it offers more support and won't wear quite as quickly as a smaller noodle. Link: http://amzn.com/B005ECAFMW
I used 3 long zip ties to secure it to the box. There's probably a cleaner way to do this, but this has worked out fine for the year or so that I've been using it.
I used an awl to punch holes in the side and bottom, though I could have drilled them as well. I also recommend putting some holes in the bottom of the compartments to allow for water drainage. This is something that's happened more often lately because I've been fishing in higher winds and rain. Definitely don't want it to sit in there overnight.The Negatives:
- The center console blocks the drawer from coming out much further than the first row of compartments unless your seat is pretty far back (which will work for people with longer legs). I end up rotating the drawer under my seat when I want to reach the side and back compartments. It work fine, it rotates under the seat without any issues.
- You also need to clean it out every so often, otherwise it gets kinda junky (like a junk drawer).
- No lid, so if you turtle your yak (or 'tortoise' it on land) then you're going to have all of that loose in the water. That hasn't ever happened to me, but it certainly could.
Here's what I keep in my drawer (pretty much all the time):Front compartments:
- 2 compartments for new soft plastics (usually broken up by type)
- 1 compartment for used soft plastics (that I empty after every trip)
- 1 compartment for weights and hooks and I'll throw a crankbait in there to swap outMiddle compartments:
- Garlic Spray
- Paint Marker
- Wacky Ring Tool
- Face sunscreen
- Thermacell replacementsBack Compartment:
- Large sunscreen
- Bug spray
Let me know if you have any other questions or ideas on how to improve this! Thanks!