Print Thread
PK Crappie #11362418 01/22/16 12:36 PM
C
ChaserWF Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I do not see many post about crappie fishing at Possum Kingdom. I see that on the TPWD website they say the crappie fishing is poor. I have just moved back to the north Texas area and I am trying to find lake to start fishing primarily. PK intrigues me because it has Striper and it is a beautiful lake. I have been spoiled over the last 2 years because I live next to (in my opinion) the best crappie lake in Texas (lake Palestine). I would love to hear people's thoughts and opinions on crappie fishing at PK.

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."- John Wooden
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11362468 01/22/16 01:16 PM
J
Jerry T. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I grew up on PK and the crappie fishing used to decent there. Now, it's just crappy fishin.

If you're in WF, try Kickapoo and Arrowhead? These lakes have big fish and are very near you. Olney has a small lake with big fish, as does another lake near Breckenridge (just south of town 20-30 minutes).

I fish Eddelman, Graham, and Newcastle lakes and would suggest checking out Graham/Eddelman when the bite gets better. Right now, it's not the best fishing...

Re: PK Crappie [Re: Jerry T.] #11362934 01/22/16 04:37 PM
T
TCK73 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Back In the 80's we caught them off our dock. We had mesquite trees sunk under it, and kept some pig and sow pellets in a potato sack there also. In the mid 90's they pretty much disappeared. That was the only place we caught them then. A few weeks ago, we were n Cedar Creek catching bait in the coves and I spotted a tree loaded with fish. I found a white and chart joker in the boat and gave it a try, no takers. I suppose the fish were crappie or perch, but didn't catch any to see.

Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11363058 01/22/16 05:19 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
I have a lake house on PK and probably spend 150 days a year fishing that lake. I catch a few crappie but it's tough fishing for them. The clear water makes jigs a non starter if you ask me. Crappie have excellent eyesight and if you give them too long to look at a jig in clear water. Besides, while they are checking it out a sandbass will likely grab it.

Most of the crappie I have caught at PK have come by live bait or trolling or casting Chartreuse Bandit 200's. For every crappie you catch, you'll get 20 white bass. Got these last summer along with a few sandies trolling crankbaits. There's two crappie and a couple sandies in here.

Clear water is going to be your enemy. Here's a stringer with one crappie a nice cat and some sandies in typical PK water. This past summer I could sight fish in the coves and creeks because you could see the bottom easily in 15 feet of water.

Here's a couple more I got last summer trolling crankbaits right at dark.

Night is your friend at PK. I caught the black crappie below at a dock on Neely Slough using a green light fishing with live shad. Note, the state does not list black crappie as a game fish at PK but they are there.I caught several crappie at that dock last year but only one a night. I think a lot of the problem is that the big stripers eat these crappie. The pic below is a 30 inch striper I caught the same night using a perch for bait. ( perch, crappie all the same to a big striper)

30 inch striper caught on a perch. This is why those crappie stay real close to the dock and don't venture far out. I'm sure the stripers and big largemouth eat the crappie.

Here's the result of a crappie fishing trip last winter fishing with live minnows. Two big stripers.

I'll be glad to show you what I know about the lake if you want. Just PM me. If you plan to fish Lake Graham you'll need to get to know Hickorynut on the forum. He's the expert there.

Good luck to you

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11363065 01/22/16 05:22 PM
C
ChaserWF Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I am in Wichita Falls. I plan to fish Arrowhead. I grew up in Wichita and know Arrowhead pretty well. I was curious if anyone was having success at PK because I plan to do some Striper fishing at PK. Thanks for help.

"Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out."- John Wooden
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11363686 01/22/16 09:33 PM
D
dlmyers Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
One thing I've found pretty evident....when you catch a crappie on PK they do a great job of measuring....not too many short fish....which is part of the problem I'd assume. Anyone know if the striper have much to do with that? My guess is they eat the young ones as fast as shad and perch. Otherwise, you wouldn't think the environment is poor for their proliferation.

--------
06 NauticStar 2110 Yamaha 150txr
Elite 7 HDI
Motorguide Xi5 80SW
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11364755 01/23/16 12:49 PM
T
txfsh Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I love fishing that lake for blacks and strippers. I have tried to crappie fish a few times but never got a bite. A couple locals told me that the crappie took a big hit during the alge blooms and never recovered. All I know is that if you want to target crappie, I'd go somewhere else.

You never want a drink of water till the well runs dry
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11365106 01/23/16 04:29 PM
P
PKfishin Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
P
There are lots of small stripers and sandies at PK. A lot of the bigger stripers down lake went over the dam when they opened the flood gates. There was unreal amounts of bait both shad and perch, as most of the spawns survived without predation by the stripers. Shad were so plentiful I had to give up lure fishing and use them for the first time in the 5 years since I retired and began fishing PK. Before the water got cold, you could go up any creek and it was bank to bank shad. Massive schools of threadfins.

That said, you might need bait to catch them in cold water. I don't know, as I didn't fish much after the water got cold because the shad went deep and I can no longer get them. There are still some big stripers in the lake but their numbers are down. Back in the early fall I took some young kids fishing and could not keep two poles baited with shad. They pulled up one white bass after another as fast as I could bait them. Only one of the stripers was 18" and legal.

Last edited by PKfishin; 01/23/16 04:30 PM.

John 21:3 Simon Peter saith unto them, I go a fishing. They say unto him, We also go with thee.
Re: PK Crappie [Re: ChaserWF] #11369857 01/26/16 01:19 AM
S
sapalmer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
That lake north of olney.....Big Crappie. Lake Cooper? Fished it in 2012 when it was drying up. Same with arrowhead We could fill up 2 five gallon buckets and not have a limit.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide