Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! #11359913 01/21/16 07:19 AM
F
Fishinkev Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
F
First of all, I've always been a big game guy. It's strong and as long as u change your lune regularly it's manageable. I've caught alot of big bass on big game. I tried red label on my fairy wand a few yrs back and had a couple break offs. Switched to 10lb strength original and haven't had any issues. But I'm always trying to up my game so I'm thinking about giving flouro another shot. I'm focusing this winter on trying to become a good jerkbait fisherman. In researching jerkbait stuff I've found that most pros use flouro for almost everything. My favorite baits to throw are jigs, tx rigs, shakeyheads and in the winter I throw a drop shot and wacky rig alot. So do I stay with what I'm comfortable with or switch to flouro? I'm torn and can't decide. I recently put 10lb copolymer on my fairy wand and I like it. Is the flouro gonna turn that light tick you get when a bass sucks in your jig on the fall into a thump. Basically how much of a difference is it gonna make. I can afford flouro but is it worth the price difference? Also I tie a Palomar on everything. Some say that is not a good idea with flouro but I recently watched a video with Casey Ashley and he said he uses flouro 95% of the time and a Palomar is the only not he ties. Another important thing to know is I bank fish alot. Anyhow, any and all input is appreciated.

Last edited by Fishinkev; 01/21/16 07:23 AM.

I dont fish for a living but i LIVE TO FISH!

Kevin

PB Largemouth Bass 12lb 2oz
PB Crappie. 3.01lb
PB Striper 23lb
PB Hybrid 7.02lb
Pb buffalo 49.4lb
Pb carp 26.14
Pb flathead 57lb

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11359952 01/21/16 10:46 AM
W
wagonwheel Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I use flouro on all my poles and always tie a Palomar knot. I have never had any trouble.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Hey--we finally caught one!
dwjimages.smugmug.com

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360020 01/21/16 12:19 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
Not going to be much difference. Copolymer floats and fluorocarbon sinks. It has advantages in clear water.

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360075 01/21/16 01:12 PM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
What's to debate? There's the best, Seaguar, then there is the rest....

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360080 01/21/16 01:16 PM
R
redskeeter190 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I use fluorocarbon for deep cranking.....because it sinks.....not really sold on the "invisible" aspect of fluorocarbon.....if fish won't bite lures on line that they can see.....why do they strike A-rigs???? JMO...

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360090 01/21/16 01:25 PM
F
Fork-LegendV21 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Sunline Shooter is the best IMO... But really expensive... I have been using bass pro brand fluoro and love it to... Smaller diameter than a lot of brands to so you can get away with fishing heavier line with a smaller diameter.

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360138 01/21/16 01:57 PM
U
Undertaker56 Offline
Angler
Angler
U
Seaguar............................................

I'm the last one to let you down!!!

Yes I am a real Undertaker..
I will give up my rod when you pry my cold dead hands off of it!!!!
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360180 01/21/16 02:23 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
If you decide to give fluorocarbon a try I have had good luck with Seaguar Invizx and P-line Halo so I just stick with those for baits that I need a greater sense of feel for..Fluorocarbon will give you a better sense of feel than a co-polymer or monofilament line but you have to decide if it is worth the additional cost. It is to me, so I use it. There might be better Fluorocarbon lines out there but again, the price goes up. Back in the day I used to use Big Game also because at that time it was one of the best mono's on the market and you could find it just about anywhere. Gibsons even had it in stock. It is still a good line for the price. Lines improved over the years and co-polymer lines came out and now fluorocarbon and braid. Each one of them is the best choice at some point in time depending on what technique you choose to fish.
My favorite co-polymer lines are McCoys Mean Green and P-Line CXX. I like McCoys for moving baits since it has less memory than CXX. CXX is a VERY strong low stretch line. If I had to choose just one line CXX would be my choice. I use it mostly in 8-15# test. I use fluorocarbon line for deep diving crankbaits but McCoys for other cranks and top water baits other than frogs and for those I use braid.
The Palomar knot is just fine for all lines including fluorocarbon IF you learn to tie it correctly. If you do not take the time to learn it correctly then it is better to use a different knot like the Pitzen, Fishin fool, or San Diego Jam with fluorocarbon line.

Side note: With CXX don't pay attention to the # test rating on the box as much as to the diameter of the line to compare it to other line diameters and # test ratings. 8# CXX is as thick as some other brands 12 or even 14#test.

Try a spool of fluorocarbon either with the jig or the shaky head and see how you like it.

Last edited by ezbassin; 01/21/16 02:50 PM.
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360184 01/21/16 02:24 PM
V
vicstric Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
V
What did you catch all your personal bests on? I'd stick with that! Impressive. I am a Big Game guy myself. It is cheap, so it don't hurt so bad when you have to cut out a serious professional overwind. Not dissing the floro but I'd rather buy a big spool of BG and a few new cranks than one smaller spool of floro for the same money. If someone can prove me wrong then I am all ears.
As for the pros, the guys that help sponsor them want them to push the higher profit margin stuff. When the pros talk about one line or bait or engine or ... just look at their jerseys and see if you find the name somewhere on it. Just sayin'.

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360209 01/21/16 02:32 PM
Outdoordude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
There's a noticeable difference in sensitivity between a soft fluoro (that is manageable and easier to cast but a little less durable), like Seaguar InvizX, and a dense fluoro (that is more sensitive and durable but more prone to memory), like Seaguar AbrazX. So, the difference in sensitivity between those fluorocarbons and a monofilament, and even copolymers, can be dramatic. I use the fluorocarbons mainly for the smaller diameter/weight of line which improves diving lure depth, it's easier to manage a thinner 20 lb fluoro than a thicker 20 lb mono on the spool of a pitching rod, it doesn't stretch as much as mono and copolymer so hooksets on long casts are better, it's more sensitive because it is more dense, and fluoro is usually more abrasion resistant/weight of line than mono or copolymer. The only time that fluorocarbon is worthless is for topwater lures; even buzzbaits are negatively affected by the sinking properties of fluoro.

I use Seaguar InvizX for just about everything, but have started using HiSeas 100% Fluorocarbon because it is more sensitive and durable than InvizX or AbrazX for about the same price.

Scott Jones
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360245 01/21/16 02:46 PM
J
John-Mark Offline
Angler
Angler
J
my 2 cents....
I put on FC on 5 reels and still had it on a spinning dropshot reel till a few months back and I went with P line mono...
I took it off the 5 reels when it was time to change line and went back to big game...
why?
because for the increase in price, I and most people cannot tell "THAT" much of a difference... is it less visible?.. probably... is it more sensitive?.. yup
does it have less stretch? of course... the margin of these differences however are not significant enough to justify spending the money for me ..id rather spend it elsewhere...
Its somewhat of a gimmick... it does do all those things better than mono but not enough to make a difference to the average guy....

let me put it this way... you play golf 2 times a month and you have never had lessons... you shoot mid 80's every time you go out... is buying those super expensive set of clubs gonna make you any better at golf? nope...is buying the pro V 1 balls gonna help you? Not one bit...
do they help the pros? of course but their game is so zoned into microscopic details that the most tiny thing effects their game...
the average guy fishing out there doesn't get enough benefit to fishing FC over mono to justify the cost... just makes them feel a little more like a pro.. and that is called sales tactics....

Last edited by John-Mark; 01/21/16 02:48 PM.
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360286 01/21/16 03:00 PM
E
ezbassin Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
E
You will feel more with a Fluorocarbon line than you will with mono. You have to decide if the cost difference is worth it to you or not. To me it is because I can catch more fish if I can feel more bites, and that has nothing to do with fishing pros, marketing, or anything else and I am just an average weekend fisherman that could care less about what the pro's use or do.. Fluorocarbon is more sensitive than mono....that just the way it is.

Last edited by ezbassin; 01/21/16 03:02 PM.
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360339 01/21/16 03:16 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
A lot of this is trial and error and what type of waters you fish to find what you like best.
Line diameter most of the time, imo, makes a bigger difference than line type.
Fluoro makes the biggest difference in very clear water, and there's only a few lakes I fish that have this.

Good inexpensive options to try while finding what you like

Braid-Power Pro (floats and has no stretch and no memory/coiling)

Copoly--McCoy's Mean Green (floats--less stretch and less memory/coiling than mono but more stretch than most fluoro)
Pline CX and CXX (both slowly sink CXX has less stretch than fluoro CX has about the same stretch as most fluoro CXX has incredible abrasion resistance, but has more memory/coiling than CX)

Fluoro--Seaguar Red Label (it sinks)

[Linked Image]
Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: ezbassin] #11360341 01/21/16 03:16 PM
J
John-Mark Offline
Angler
Angler
J
Originally Posted By: ezbassin
You will feel more with a Fluorocarbon line than you will with mono. You have to decide if the cost difference is worth it to you or not. To me it is because I can catch more fish if I can feel more bites, and that has nothing to do with fishing pros, marketing, or anything else and I am just an average weekend fisherman that could care less about what the pro's use or do.. Fluorocarbon is more sensitive than mono....that just the way it is.

maybe you can tell enough difference in the sensitivity .. I cannot .. at least to justify the cost... if it was a noticeable difference I would be all on board... I suggest to the OP to put a high end trusted brand of FC on one rod .. a texas rig rod and fish with it this entire year ... small investment to see if he can feel a difference...

Re: Let's talk fishing line. The great flouro debate! [Re: Fishinkev] #11360344 01/21/16 03:16 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity

Look up any review done on Seagaur Tatsu.

Remember fluorocarbon line is also monofilament. It's just a chemical far superior to resin monofilament like Big Game. If you are on a budget, Big Game is great. Tatsu if you aren't. Because it stretches less you can feel so much more that going on under water. Your hook sets will be better at the length of your cast.

Of you'll buy the 1000 yd spools you can save quite a bit but it is on backorder nationally for a reason. It's great stuff.

Tight lines,

Jackson

http://www.scout.com/outdoors/wired2fish/story/1464749-seaguar-tatsu-fluorocarbon

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide