Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,678
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11364907 01/23/16 02:42 PM
J
jwfflipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J

With the work that goes into this bait from buying the wood to cutting the pattern , sanding, sealing, basecoat, prime coat, 7 layers of clear build coat cutting out the and photo editing paint and a layer of clear over each layer of pait and three layers of topcoat and two weeks to make this bait what would you pay for it? I know what I sell it for.

RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso Lures
K9 flourocarbon
Team Elite SWLA
Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11365190 01/23/16 05:21 PM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
We've done alot of homework on finding the best blank manufacturers, paints, paint substrates, plastisols, glitters, 3D eyes, clear coat, hooks and hardware...At the end you get a premium product that is set apart from the rest. Constantly trying to achieve a level of quality the mass producers are getting away from...From our Torpedo swimbaits, Rana 4.0, 5" Twerkbaits to Hero 1.5 cranks...Packaged and protected! I also know what we sell em for;) I agree with Mark...Excellent point on undercutting and undervaluing.

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11365205 01/23/16 05:29 PM
Mark Perry Online Content
Super Freak
Online Content
Super Freak
I want to be VERY clear. In no ways am I accusing or faulting anyone for undercutting if that is the route they chose. Everyone works in their own niche and I respect each of you. I know as a customer I am drawn to quite a bit of custom work because I like stuff out of the norm. I also know what it takes to create some of the work we all do. What I am saying is to not be afraid to ask a fair price on the baits we all make because if we do not value our own work then neither will a customer. I don't want to sell a ton of baits so I ask a price for my stuff I am comfortable with and what i can keep up demand wise with. That is my niche in a sense.
I re-read it and thought maybe I did a poor job of making that come out as attended. Just trying to say do not be afraid to ask a price that makes all of it worth it to you.

Me personally building/making baits is more of an artistic purge that helps keep my sanity. I truly enjoy spending a few hours making baits occasionally and it serves as a creative outlet. Its relaxing to me and I enjoy the challenge of making my hands make what my mind sees. Probably sounds stupid to verbalize it that way but can't really find a better way to see it.
The real payoff though is either catching fish on them myself or getting a text with a picture of a fish someone caught on one. I really love hearing the fish catch stories from people that have caught fish on my baits. I am betting most here share that same sentiment.

Again though I just wanted to make sure no one took my comments in a way I did not intend. I think everyone who posts here is very talented and I truly enjoy seeing the great baits that each make. Keep up the good work.

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11365262 01/23/16 06:18 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Mark I don't think you could state it any better. We all have our little niche, but all try to produce to best final product possible. I also enjoy staying busy at home and bait building is sure keeping me that way, when the weather is bad it's a good way to stay in the fishing mindset to me.

I tell everyone the buys my baits to send pics or stories about their catches it makes all the time and effort worth it. Even if it's not a real money making hobby I still get enjoyment out of it. Also seeing what all the other guys come up with makes me want to do better each bait tryin to improve the craft.

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #11365824 01/24/16 01:16 AM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Bois, I'm not really sure wha you price your baits at and it honestly isn't my place to price them. The gills and crappie patterns you do are very detailed and works of art imo. I think the price of those baits should be in the 12-15 dollar range. Again this is just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Appreciate the input Brad. After lots of work I've gotten the bream and crappie pattern to the level I feel comfortable asking $12-20 for them. In some cases I'll let them go for less...if I feel like the pattern is not quite what I wanted. They usually sell as soon as they're posted online...so it fits into CW's narrative regarding price and demand. Generally when the lure is to be sold as a "fish bait", not a detailed pattern, the price is in the $10-12 dollar range. It varies depending on lots of factors like the pattern, hooks, split rings, finish coat, etc. texas

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: jwfflipper] #11365833 01/24/16 01:23 AM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: jwfflipper
With the work that goes into this bait .... would you pay for it? I know what I sell it for.

Nice bait for sure...but, again, the question was regarding the price of a custom painted plastic KO lure. I'm just beginning to seriously entertain building custom wooden lures and can appreciate all the work that goes into producing a quality wooden lure like yours but, in this case...just looking at plastic and custom paint. Still a dang nice looking lure flehan... just guessing here but, I'll bet it fished as well as it looks. texas

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11365921 01/24/16 02:07 AM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Well said Mark Perry. For those of us who paint or build as a hobby the satisfaction is in the work itself. Positive feedback from fishermen who may have had success with one of our baits just makes the work that much more worthwhile. The exchange of ideas and photos posted on this forum hopefully do indeed motivate a person to attempt to improve their work and hone their craftsmanship. It does, however, cost a few bucks to paint lures so the effort to recover the expense involved in custom painting lures is justifiable. When I started custom painting lures the costs were low and, in my case, the quality was average...hence $5-7 dollar lures. Currently costs are higher and the quality of work is much better so price increases with quality of work and the expense of materials. In an effort not to offend any particular person or business I rarely sell my work on the TFF site and if I do its done on the Trading Post, not on this forum. To be clear...I sell my work for what I think its worth and primarily to recover the cost of materials. The problems begin when another person or business mistakes my effort to recover expenses as an attempt to undersell or devalue a similar product sold by that person or business. Casting false accusations, overtly or covertly, is no way to pursue a remedy to the perceived injustice. Perhaps there's another reason for misguided words and disingenuous justifications? At any rate, it ain't very interesting and its got nothin' to do with building baits or pouring plastic. OMG

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11365978 01/24/16 02:46 AM
J
jwfflipper Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Originally Posted By: boisarc
Originally Posted By: jwfflipper
With the work that goes into this bait .... would you pay for it? I know what I sell it for.

Nice bait for sure...but, again, the question was regarding the price of a custom painted plastic KO lure. I'm just beginning to seriously entertain building custom wooden lures and can appreciate all the work that goes into producing a quality wooden lure like yours but, in this case...just looking at plastic and custom paint. Still a dang nice looking lure flehan... just guessing here but, I'll bet it fished as well as it looks. texas
Thank you !! And yes I understand that it's about plastic K.O. I once painted K.O. also and did quite well with them but when I started making wood baits in 2004 I just stuck with wood. And the K.O's where much better then than they are now. There's just not enough time for me to do both. All you guys on here do a great job painting!! Other than plastic or wood there we don't charge what our work is worth!!

RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso Lures
K9 flourocarbon
Team Elite SWLA
Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: Bois d'arc] #11373925 01/27/16 05:41 PM
M
musiclife_7 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Bois,
I've been a fan from day one. I've promoted your product to several people and have even given baits away for them to enjoy and just purchased more from you. I think your value is great and price range is perfect ($9-12). If you went up in price, I would still purchase from you because I'm confident in the product. I'm sure others would follow suit within reason. Many will find it hard to purchase a $15 squarebill when they can buy them for $3-6 at Academy. True anglers will spend the money when they find something they like. I love the crappie pattern you make and have won plenty of cash on it this winter alone at Squaw!!!! I'm sure plenty of people will continue to be loyal!

I've bought a series of baits from Brad as well and they run great. Haven't had the success with them but the colors I purchased haven't really suited the water clarity that I've fished lately. I do have confidence in them and would buy from him as well.....

Keep it up!!!!

Re: Price of a custom painted lure?? [Re: musiclife_7] #11376594 01/28/16 05:30 PM
Bois d'arc Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: musiclife_7
Bois,
I've been a fan from day one....I love the crappie pattern you make..I'm sure plenty of people will continue to be loyal!
I've bought a series of baits from Brad as well and they run great. Keep it up!!!!

Many thanks for your post Music. Folks posting their work here do it for many reasons...comments like yours are at the top of my list of reasons. texas

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide