Print Thread
Kayak comparison! Input needed!! #11342882 01/13/16 02:13 PM
J
jasoniam Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
Obvious first I am going to demo these out before I buy but here are the yaks on my list! I'll be looking to spend around $1100-1200!! Plus getting a better pfd and upgrading paddle to go along!!
Wilderness Systems RIDE115XMAX
FEEL FREE MOKEN 12.5
Feel free Lure 11.5 With Sonar Pod
One of the big sellers for me on these is the ff pod!! I like the fact you can make that all one unit easy to install and carry and take out!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11343121 01/13/16 03:41 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I have owned several kayaks but I always hang on to my Ride 115X. You cant beat the price, stability, and capacity. The AirPro Max seat is sick, and according to Mariner Sails website they have them on sale now at the bottom of your price range.

Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11343129 01/13/16 03:44 PM
J
JHBoat Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I can't say enough about my Ride, one beast of a yak. Not for the faint at heart (or weak upper bodies), she can take thousands of miles of abuse. I've been really impressed with the Feel Frees though, but have yet to paddle one.

Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11343173 01/13/16 04:00 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Regardless of opinion, paddle them all, I am about to go on the hunt for a faster boat and will be looking at them but cannot make a decision until I paddle them. I made that mistake on my first boat and never intend to repeat it. NOTHING and NO ONE can tell you the boat fits you more than paddling it.

Wilderness tends to have boats that fit my style of fishing and needs so I lean towards them, I have also owned multiple native watercraft boats and still have one in the fleet. I fish the ride 135 now and it is perfect for what I do most of the time which is fish open water, we have a tarpon 12 that I use for creeks and rivers.

Here is what you need to ask yourself,

What kind of fishing will I do most?
How am I transporting my kayak?
What are my wants and what are my needs and which does this boat have?
What rigging will I need to do to my new boat to accommodate my style of fishing?

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11343252 01/13/16 04:31 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: jasoniam
Obvious first I am going to demo these out before I buy but here are the yaks on my list! I'll be looking to spend around $1100-1200!! Plus getting a better pfd and upgrading paddle to go along!!
FEEL FREE MOKEN 12.5
One of the big sellers for me on these is the ff pod!! I like the fact you can make that all one unit easy to install and carry and take out!!

SO when you buy a YAK does it come with all equip. and decked out or do you only get the hull and you have to buy all accessories also ??

RonL
Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11343312 01/13/16 04:52 PM
J
jasoniam Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
J
No they do not! You'll get the yak and seat if it comes with one or you can find an ad like mine kayak deal It will include everything ya need to get going for cheap!!

[Linked Image]
Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: RonL] #11344551 01/14/16 02:01 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: RonL
[quote=jasoniam]Obvious first I am going to demo these out before I buy but here are the yaks on my list! I'll be looking to spend around $1100-1200!! Plus getting a better pfd and upgrading paddle to go along!!
FEEL FREE MOKEN 12.5

Ron, '
Today's yaks do come with more than they use to. example: stand assist, gear traxs, rudder, sonar pod, high low seat, mounting boards, cup holders, tackle pouches, etc. In fact some manufactures are partnering up with after market companies to offer pre-rigged models...
But, for the most part, unless you buy used or maybe a demo that's already been rigged for the show room, they come with the basics ready TO BE rigged. Rod holders, An anchor trolly, A Nice Pddle, A Comfy Paddlers Life Vest, Sonars, Auto anchor or Manuals are all extras. A good shop can make you a deal on some or all of these things & can often install them for you at a discount after you demo. CAUTUION: Just becuase it come with a few extras, doesn't make it a good yak for you. That's why we stress to everyone that they demo before they buy. Bert is another perfect example. He's been around for a long time now & I guess it's makes us feel better knowing others can gain from our mistakes in this sport.

Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11344556 01/14/16 02:04 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
Jas,
Wilderness makes some fine yaks. I havent paddled the others. One of my 1st yaks was a ride 135.
they are great yaks IMO & Ive have yet to hear a negative comment on the 11.5

Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11345350 01/14/16 02:47 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Originally Posted By: RonL
[quote=jasoniam]Obvious first I am going to demo these out before I buy but here are the yaks on my list! I'll be looking to spend around $1100-1200!! Plus getting a better pfd and upgrading paddle to go along!!
FEEL FREE MOKEN 12.5

Ron, '
Today's yaks do come with more than they use to. example: stand assist, gear traxs, rudder, sonar pod, high low seat, mounting boards, cup holders, tackle pouches, etc. In fact some manufactures are partnering up with after market companies to offer pre-rigged models...
But, for the most part, unless you buy used or maybe a demo that's already been rigged for the show room, they come with the basics ready TO BE rigged. Rod holders, An anchor trolly, A Nice Pddle, A Comfy Paddlers Life Vest, Sonars, Auto anchor or Manuals are all extras. A good shop can make you a deal on some or all of these things & can often install them for you at a discount after you demo. CAUTUION: Just becuase it come with a few extras, doesn't make it a good yak for you. That's why we stress to everyone that they demo before they buy. Bert is another perfect example. He's been around for a long time now & I guess it's makes us feel better knowing others can gain from our mistakes in this sport.

Thanks so much on your reply . That helps me a lot with knowing what to expect . I know very little about Kayaks but I love watching videos on those that take videos of their fishing trips or Kayaks ! It looks like a lot of fun except for me I'm looking at a nice trip to even see water worth going to . No rivers in W.Tex that I know of so bass fishing at a lake would be my interest . Thanks again for explaining things to me !

RonL
Re: Kayak comparison! Input needed!! [Re: jasoniam] #11346303 01/14/16 09:48 PM
H
HERROUTDOORS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
You don't want your yak to come with everything. You will want to position things according to how you fish in your yak. That way you don't spend money on something you don't use or would want to reposition. For instance the guys that have rod holders mounted on front of the yak. I like to cast side arm to skip under trees and docks and need to get my rod low and anything sticking up would be in the way. Most guys do mount them, it's all about personal preference.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide