texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek ðŸ 68,321
JDavis7873® 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? #11332397 01/08/16 10:27 PM
D
Dadsthatlove2fish Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I wanted to get an idea from the experts on baiting a hole and chumming for catfish?

Where would you recommend baiting a hole...in a creek channel or on a ledge, hump, drop off, point?
What and how would you do it to keep them in that area...I have heard people filling pantyhose with a rock filling it with dog food or range cubes.

Do you even think its work baiting a hole? Or is it better just to make some chum...go out chum 3-5 areas first then circle back to the 1st area and start fishing. Even with chum what do you find works the best to get numbers on fish in the boat. I usually crappie fish most of the year but since it slows down next to nothing I want to try some different things to still go out with my 2 boys to catch some eaters.

God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.” Genesis 1:28
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11332406 01/08/16 10:33 PM
T
tosavaN Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
bucket with holes drilled in it and fill it with cubes or fish food etc... get a good strong rope to pull it back up with. I like the ledge of creek channels or around structure.. be ready for a lot of other fish to be hangin around also like gar and goo.. you baiting bait fish more than the big fish.

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11332457 01/08/16 11:08 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
A couple of days before you plan to fish go throw a couple of scoops of chum in five or six spots. The day you fish, go to each spot and throw out a scoop of chum. Then go back and start fishing the first spot. Sometimes throw another scoop while you are fishing but be careful and don't "feed" the fish by throwing too much. You want to excite them but don't fill them up.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: ChuChu1] #11332619 01/09/16 12:50 AM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
A couple of days before you plan to fish go throw a couple of scoops of chum in five or six spots. The day you fish, go to each spot and throw out a scoop of chum. Then go back and start fishing the first spot. Sometimes throw another scoop while you are fishing but be careful and don't "feed" the fish by throwing too much. You want to excite them but don't fill them up.
This/\

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11332662 01/09/16 01:19 AM
J
JimmyA Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I'm not a expert but a buddy of mine goes to a feed (livestock} store and buys "Goat" blocks! He say's they last for a week or 2 and catches them (channels) using stink bait. Myself, I've used range cubes, tossed a few handfuls in several spots and went back and caught (channels) using "Sonnys Super Stinky" stink bait.

Probing brush for crappie is my game!
Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11332845 01/09/16 02:48 AM
T
taterpop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I get a cheap laundry mesh bag from Dollar Tree fill it, put about 10 -15 lbs with 20% range cubes tie it off at what ever depth I will be fishing and come back in a couple of days. Might take a little longer in cold weather.

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11337641 01/11/16 05:48 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
range cubes soybean cheese blocks work better and will last longer commercial fishermen use them in there hoop nets. and will keep the cats there for a few days have a few i am going to put our on waco and limestone but i till still chum with milo I only have spring to fish this year as in the summer i am going back to thailand so they can start the construction on our new house. the one we stay in now when we go back is quite old and will be turned in to apartments I never had much luck with rang cubes maybe if i lived closer to the lake and cold just bait it every few days it wold be better. i know on limestone i fish the same spots every trips and i chum the hell out the of them when i fist pull up those spots seem to hold fishing more fishing in the area it dest not take long for them to zero in on fresh chum I am already book for the entire spring i am going to try some rang cubes with being booked every day i can keep them there with the cubes

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11337898 01/11/16 02:02 PM
stubby77 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Man u must be felling better if u are book already the entire spring , Good luck ,

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11338090 01/11/16 03:03 PM
F
forsanmedic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Have always wondered how long they would hold on a protein block. Guess it would be worth a try

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11340525 01/12/16 07:13 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
i got calles all winter to go out but i wanted to hunt so i just seduled them for spring word of moth gets mourned fast even quicker when you are using the money of on other purpose then personal gain. yes i am feeling much better the past few month they got me on enough pin killers to put a horse down people were trying to book for summer but i am not going to were here all summer Going to thailand to get our second house built have the one were are in now leveled and have apartment pu in there I think part of the reason i filled up so fast was that i sped every think on vets i dont keep a dime of it

Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11345401 01/14/16 03:10 PM
B
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I use 2 five gallon buckets of wheat. One is already soured when we get to the spot we want to fish. The other will sour in the lake. This will keep the smell in the area twice as long. I change out the older bucket every other week. This keeps fresh and soured in the area. The plastic bucket will last longer then panty hoses. The cats will come up and suck on the hoses and tear them up. Losing all the bait in them. Same with tote sacks. When you get to your baited area, throw out a little grain. This should get the area active with cats. Sometimes after the lake floods, the bucket will fill up with silt. Usually you have to restart the process because the grain lost some punch due to the silt.

We bait out several different areas. First, at different depths. Looking for structure, creek or river bends in the lake, humps and wind swept areas. You want to be able to keep the cats in the area with their comfort zone. By having different areas and depths baited out, you should be able to match a comfort zone for that day.

During the winter months it will take up to 7 to 10 days for the grain to sour in the lake. Summer months 3 to 7 days. Once again this depends on lake temps.

Hebrews 11:1
Re: Baiting a hole or chumming for Catfish? [Re: Dadsthatlove2fish] #11345448 01/14/16 03:29 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Great post yegua cat...used to fish your area back in the day...
I keep channel cats around my dock (when we have water in the cove) with soured wheat... Have also had good luck with "busted" bags of hen scratch, I picked up cheap two years ago at a feed store

Last edited by kodys'papa; 01/14/16 03:29 PM.

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide