Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems #11321965 01/04/16 05:45 PM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Installed the lowrance hds8 and it works great. Hooked up the sidescan unit and I am receiving the comment no source in the side scan/down scan fields on the hds 8 unit. The side scan unit shows green led for power and blinking green light for sonar (testing in my driveway). I'm not getting signal from the Ethernet connections (1 to console, and 2 to bow hds 8). I would appreciate any advice.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11322510 01/04/16 09:46 PM
D
Dayne Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Test it on the water. If my memory is correct you will get no source until it is on water so it can get a return signal.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11322981 01/05/16 12:56 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
To test the Ethernet for basic connectivity, store a waypoint on one of the units. Then, check the other unit(s) to see that the waypoint has been shared. If the basic Ethernet network is connected and functional, the waypoint will be updated to the second unit. In the StructureScan Menu, be sure you have a source selected.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11323830 01/05/16 12:27 PM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Thank you for the feedback. I will check out the recommendations. Someone told me that the HDS8 comes from the factory not programmed to search for the side scan module, and that I should go into the advance menu on the HDS8 and turn that function on. I have not had a chance to check that out yet but it seems feasible.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11324638 01/05/16 07:15 PM
J
Jones Trolling Motor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
When you connect everything, the unit should go out and see what is connected to it. Was it working before installing the 8. If so, if you unplug the 8 from the LSS1, will the structure screens show up on the bow unit? I'm assuming from your post you're not getting the structure screens on the 8.
John

[Linked Image]
www.jonestrollingmotor.com
texarkana, Ark/Tx
Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11325868 01/06/16 06:40 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
To Enable Structure Scan features on some HDS units that don't have them enabled by default:

1. Turn Unit on
2. Press the Menu button 2 times
3. Arrow to System and press the right arrow
4. Arrow to Advanced... and press Enter\
5. Arrow down to Features and press the right Arrow
6. Arrow down to Structure and press the Enter Button(should now have a blue circle)
7. Press the Exit button multiple times (until you exit all menus).

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 01/06/16 06:56 AM.
Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11331099 01/08/16 01:14 PM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I will put the boat in the water this weekend to check out the system. What puzzles me is that the LSS2 is receiving power (green light), the unit is connected to the transducer (blinking green light), but neither of the Ethernet lights are blinking yellow like the manual mentions. I just purchased a new Ethernet cable and will hook it up tonight when I get home from work to see what happens. Hopefully, the problem is that I just need to put the rig in the water and everything will work like it's supposed to. Thanks for all of the helpful comments.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11331318 01/08/16 02:40 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
The LSS Network LEDs most likely only blink when data packets are being transferred between the LSS and an HDS. If you don't have a network established electronically, they probably won't blink. Even with a network established, they may only blink when data is being transferred. If you don't have the StructureScan enabled in the HDS menu, the HDS won't try to get an data from the LSS, and there would be no blinking LED. To me, no blinkie = something not right in setup. Since you have just connected these units on network, I wonder if you should do an auto-configure. Per the manual (page 104 of the manual version I have):

To auto configure a network:
1. Select Auto Configure from the Network menu and press enter.
2. Highlight Yes and press enter.

Check that StructureScan is enabled per my other message. You never said if you did that either.
You should power cycle the entire system after doing an auto-configure.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 01/08/16 03:00 PM.
Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11332916 01/09/16 03:20 AM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
I have accessed the Advance Section on the HDS8 and enabled the Structure Scan features. I will have to dig out my manual and see what it says regarding doing an auto-configure. I'm not sure what this entails. I assume the HDS8 won't be thrown back to "restore defaults". I spoke with a friend tonight and he suggests tying the yellow wire from the LSS2 to the yellow wire on the HDS8 and route both to a positive lead to the 12V battery with an inline fuse. Does this make sense to you Flippin-Out?

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11333130 01/09/16 06:49 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
While I don't know exactly how you have wired power to your units, I can say this about the circumstance:

If you have visual confirmation of power applied to each component (LSS and HDS) then what you do with yellow wires is not of concern at the moment. It is true that one could get things messed up and not have power to the LSS box and that would be an issue. I thought about this already; you have said you have LEDs illuminated on the LSS box. This means it is getting power. Correct me if I'm wrong on this. Therefore, there is no need to do anything special with the yellow wires right now. I can explain what they are far later, but lets not mix up too many things at once. Now back to the problem.

The network auto-configure won't change other settings you have made. It only erases the network device list in non-volatile memory. When the unit powers back up, it will look for connected network devices again, such as the LSS. Please make sure that the Ethernet cable connectors are fully seated and that you have turned the "twist lock collar" to hold them firmly in place.

I understand you have two HDS units connected? Are you getting any LED activity for either Ethernet connection on the LSS when the HDS powers up? I don't remember if the Ethernet port LEDs blink only when data is transferred or all the time.

When you go into simulator mode on the HDS, can you get a side-scan screen display? If you can't, then there is likely a setting still wrong on the HDS.

With everything powered up, store a waypoint on one HDS. Then, check the other HDS to see if you can see that waypoint on it also. (You should.)

Is this gear used? Was it on the boat and working previously? Give me more background please.

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 01/09/16 06:52 AM.
Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11335307 01/10/16 04:16 AM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
The hds Gen 2 sonar/gps units were purchased new last year along with the LSS2 option. I just recently hooked up the LSS2 because I wanted to familiarize myself with the hds 8 gen 2 features first before I advanced to side scan and down scan. A friend originally hooked up the LSS2 system running one Ethernet cable to the bow hds 8 and one to the console hds8. It didn't work at all initially until I discovered my friend had ignored the yellow wire. That's when I got involved trying to solve the problems myself. Once I connected the to yellow wires, the LSS2 box showed power to the box and a green blinking light indicated that the LSS2 was working and connected to the transducer. I'm not getting any indicator lights showing me that he Ethernet system is working. The hds8 gen 2 monitor reads no source when I page to structure scan/down scan. Plase help If you are abl to. My cell number is 865 255-3771. I was going to put my boat in the lake today but had to rethink that Idea I as unable to gt help. Not being savy when it comes to electronics, I would rather wait until momeone can observed what I've done and critique the work.
I will say a li

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11335375 01/10/16 04:37 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Where do you live? I didn't read the entire thread very closely but Ethernet cables are notoriously known to fail or be defective.

Last edited by grout-scout; 01/10/16 04:39 AM.
Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11335644 01/10/16 08:26 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Wow! You keep asking for help. I keep telling you things to do, and asking questions to better understand what you have, but you have basically ignored me. That's not going to work too well, and I certainly can find something more productive to do with my time.

I have told you twice of a method to test for Ethernet connectivity. Either you can't read, or you just want someone to tell you one simple magical button to press to fix it all. Complicated electronics is just that - complicated. Given your apparent ineptitude in following steps when help is offered after you specifically request assistance, I am not optimistic that the problem will be resolved.

I'm done with this one.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11337792 01/11/16 01:03 PM
B
BassHog3 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
You obviously have been working with electronics for some time and have forgotten how confusing this subject can be for those of us who are just getting started. I have tried to answer your questions the best to my ability. I told you that I enabled the structure scan feature in the hds8. I have put aside the issue of the yellow wire for the time being as you suggested. for right now both the yellow wire from the LSS2 and HDS8 are connected and butt connected to a hot wire to the battery with an in-line fuse. It's been wet and cold here in TN and I have not had a chance to get outside to do the other things you mentioned like save a waypoint and check to see if it is seen on the bow mounted unit. Regarding the other jargon you used like doing an auto-configure, I've never heard of this before and would like to learn more about it before I jump into it. I don't have a page 184 in my HDS8 owner's manual so I'm unable to read up on this item. I'm not going to jump right into something blind regardless of how smart and knowledgeable you sound Flippin-Out. I have a Ph.D. so I think my ability to read and follow directions is intact. Perhaps you would like to discuss anatomy and physiology and see how your knowledge base might be challenged a little. Enough said. I'm done with you also. Usually, people who recognize that someone is struggling with technical issues new to them are a wee bit more patient than you obviously are.

Re: Lowrance HDS8 with LSS1 Problems [Re: BassHog3] #11337881 01/11/16 01:54 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Mr. Hog, you need to understand that it takes time for other members here to type out the info needed to try and help others. He took quite a bit of time typing out what he typed. Not many others here took that time (actually no one took the time), I used to; but it gets old constantly trying to help people. Sometimes you just have to sit in your boat, turn the graph on and play with that sumbeech until you fully learn it. We can type until we have nubs of fingers but you still won't understand what we're talking about until you learn the basic menus of your graph.

Read that from a disinterested 3rd party friend and not as sarcasm or me yelling at you, it's hard to decipher type. The graphs are really quite simple AFTER you learn the basics, you're gonna have to get a house plug for it or wait until the weather gets better to become acquainted with your graph.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide