60 Forums
854155 Topics
11203662 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11329089 - 01/07/16 11:41 AM Lake Fork and Lake Welsh fishing report
John Tanner Lake Fork Guide Offline

Loc: Texas
Happy new year everyone. As I posted last month,I am going to post some fishing reports and keep everyone up to date on what the bite has been like for us as well as some of the patterns. Hopefully this will help you guys out this year.

I haven't spent much time on the TFF in the last few years so here we go.
For those of you who don't know me, allow me to introduce myself. I am a full time guide on Fork and other area lakes. I have been fishing Lake Fork since the early 80's. I look forward to what each new year brings here on Lake Fork. I am also a retired tournament professional. I have participated in several pro circuits and also on the local level when I was younger. I spent a good number of years fishing the Everstart Series, which is now the Rayovac. I also spent several years competing on the FLW Tour. Due to family obligations and going back to school at the ripe ole age of 50, I retired from the tourney scene. I attend classes on Monday ONLY at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and still able to guide 6 days a week, Tuesday through Saturday. Anyway, enough about me, let's talk about what has been happening on Fork and Welsh.

We have been dealing with high water due to all of the recent flooding. Both Fork and Welsh went up a few feet over full pool which made the fishing actually pretty good. Now the water has dropped back down to just about normal and the bite has gotten slower and has changed a bit as far as patterns. We are still catching some nice ones, just not having the numbers we were when the water was high.

On Welsh, we have done most of our damage while fishing around the matted grass. When the water was way up ( over the grass mats) early last week, we smashed em on Stanley swim jigs and weightless flukes, on the inner edges of the grass lines. It has been a long time since I have seen them bite like they did last Monday and Tuesday. Wed was still decent, but not as many on the swim jig and more on the fluke, and even a few flipping the grass. Since then, the bite has changed for us and the majority of the fish we caught even yesterday, we caught on Texas rigged blue fleck worms on the outer edge of the grass. The best places were points. This is pretty common as the water drops back down.

On Lake Fork, we have been catching them both deep and shallow. The numbers haven't been high, but the quality has been pretty good. Most of the bigger fish have been coming from shallow water for us on recent trips. Last week on Thursday and Friday with the water level still being a little high, we actually caught the better fish off of retaining walls, and those little boat ramps and lay downs in and at the mouth of the pockets on the main lake. I haven't ever spent to much time doing that on all of my years on Fork but, we pulled in a pocket and caught a couple of good fish on a retaining wall and a little boat ramp and went with it! It payed off pretty good. Chatterbaits and lipless cranks were the the ticket. Most of our deep fish have been coming on the A-rig and carolina rig. The fish we have been catching have been in 25 to 32 on main lake points and humps, no surprise there...

We have also been doing a few crappie trips, and catching them on Jigs in 30 to 32 ft close to the brush piles on the main lake. I know this is no secret. You can go out there this time of year and see all of the crappie fisherman stacked up..

Well, hopefully this will be helpful to some of you who plan on going to Fork or Welsh in the near future. If you would like to book a trip give us a shout..God Bless and good fishing.
John Tanner - Lake Fork Bass Guide

Skeeter Boats
Yamaha Outboards
Nautical Mile Marine, Tyler TX
Lowrance Electronics
Stanley Lures

#11329214 - 01/07/16 12:37 PM Re: Lake Fork and Lake Welsh fishing report [Re: John Tanner Lake Fork Guide]
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Athens, TX
Very nice report John Tanner -- Lake Fork Bass Guide.
helpful information without giving away your livelihood.
I just wish you could get this kind of "general" help for Rayburn and Toledo.

Hope you have a great year !!!!

#11329715 - 01/07/16 03:41 PM Re: Lake Fork and Lake Welsh fishing report [Re: John Tanner Lake Fork Guide]
Ken A. Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Trophy Club, TX
Good to see you back John.

#11330164 - 01/07/16 06:16 PM Re: Lake Fork and Lake Welsh fishing report [Re: John Tanner Lake Fork Guide]
Shaun Lowe Offline

Thanks for the report...

#11330195 - 01/07/16 06:24 PM Re: Lake Fork and Lake Welsh fishing report [Re: John Tanner Lake Fork Guide]
GrassProShop Jim Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Grapevine, TX
Nice John!! As Ken said, good to see you here on the TFF again.

"Hoping to catch a double digit!"
Personal Best LMB - 7.1 pounds - Caught from pond on 3-15-15
Wilderness Systems Ride 135 kayak - Aqua Bound Hybrid paddle

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide