Print Thread
Hydraulic Steering #11319790 01/03/16 02:44 PM
O
one-3lb-er Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
I am considering putting hydraulic steering on my G3 170PFX. It has a 70 Yamaha and steers like an 18 wheeler. I need something easier. Thanks in advance

"One-3Lb-er"
PB= 3Lb 4 OZ
Texarkana, TX
Fish in Texas=Wright Patman, Lake of Pines, Caddo: Arkansas=Millwood, Greeson, Dierks, White Oak: Oklahoma=Pine Creek, Hugo.
Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11319810 01/03/16 03:06 PM
Capt Jerry Offline
Angler
Angler
Hydraulic steering may be overkill since you likely have a single steering cable. Have you considered simply replacing the steering cable as the one you have may be corroded internally? How old is the cable? A new cable will be much less expensive.

I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.
Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11319850 01/03/16 03:28 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
For smaller boats such as yours, an excellent choice in steering is a rotary NFB system if you don't already have one. (NFB = No FeedBack) With NFB systems, actually turning the wheel still requires some force, but once you have a heading you want, a clutch mechanism holds it for you and you are able to relax your grip.

Many small boats come stock with a single cable rack & pinion system. It's the cheapest for the manufacturer, and also the worst for the operator. A complete system for your boat is likely under $300. Google "SeaStar Solutions SS147XX No-Feedback 4.2 Rotary Package" as an example. Note that you should compare your turn-to-turn revolutions. The steering difficulty now could be due to a 3 turn system (less leverage, harder to steer), whereas a 4 turn system will make steering less difficult. If you already have 4 turn system, DO NOT drop to a 3 turn system - you would regret it.

Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: Capt Jerry] #11320312 01/03/16 08:17 PM
O
one-3lb-er Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Capt Jerry
Hydraulic steering may be overkill since you likely have a single steering cable. Have you considered simply replacing the steering cable as the one you have may be corroded internally? How old is the cable? A new cable will be much less expensive.

3 years, looks brand new, took it loose at engine. engine moves easy and the cable works smooth, but when you are on lake it takes both hands to move the stick.

"One-3Lb-er"
PB= 3Lb 4 OZ
Texarkana, TX
Fish in Texas=Wright Patman, Lake of Pines, Caddo: Arkansas=Millwood, Greeson, Dierks, White Oak: Oklahoma=Pine Creek, Hugo.
Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: Flippin-Out] #11320320 01/03/16 08:24 PM
O
one-3lb-er Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
For smaller boats such as yours, an excellent choice in steering is a rotary NFB system if you don't already have one. (NFB = No FeedBack) With NFB systems, actually turning the wheel still requires some force, but once you have a heading you want, a clutch mechanism holds it for you and you are able to relax your grip.

Many small boats come stock with a single cable rack & pinion system. It's the cheapest for the manufacturer, and also the worst for the operator. A complete system for your boat is likely under $300. Google "SeaStar Solutions SS147XX No-Feedback 4.2 Rotary Package" as an example. Note that you should compare your turn-to-turn revolutions. The steering difficulty now could be due to a 3 turn system (less leverage, harder to steer), whereas a 4 turn system will make steering less difficult. If you already have 4 turn system, DO NOT drop to a 3 turn system - you would regret it.

i going to check to see what type I have and look at this.
thanks

"One-3Lb-er"
PB= 3Lb 4 OZ
Texarkana, TX
Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11320655 01/03/16 11:50 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Have you twisted the torque fin to the opposite direction?

Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: grout-scout] #11321316 01/04/16 05:15 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Good point. Since we know nothing of the setup, we have no clue if anyone ever set the tab anywhere remotely near what it might need to be.

Additionally, the OP did not point out that he had stick steering! The NFB system I referred him to is for systems with a steering wheel! It is not usable with a stick steering system.

To the OP: If your engine was set too low on the transom when mounted, it will steer like a stiff truck with no power steering. What matters is where the anti-cavitation plate is located with respect to the bottom of the hull when the plate is parallel to the bottom of the hull. If it is several inches below the bottom of the hull, I'm going to guess that's part of your problem. If it is close to even, then that probably isn't a problem. I can't advise exactly where it should be set for you because I don't have experience with your model boat.

Do you have tilt/trim on your engine? If you don't it should be set at about perpendicular when the boat is running on plane. Not to be rude, but if you have tilt/trim, do you know how it should be used? (This can affect steering performance.)

Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: Flippin-Out] #11322613 01/04/16 10:19 PM
O
one-3lb-er Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Good point. Since we know nothing of the setup, we have no clue if anyone ever set the tab anywhere remotely near what it might need to be.

Additionally, the OP did not point out that he had stick steering! The NFB system I referred him to is for systems with a steering wheel! It is not usable with a stick steering system.

To the OP: If your engine was set too low on the transom when mounted, it will steer like a stiff truck with no power steering. What matters is where the anti-cavitation plate is located with respect to the bottom of the hull when the plate is parallel to the bottom of the hull. If it is several inches below the bottom of the hull, I'm going to guess that's part of your problem. If it is close to even, then that probably isn't a problem. I can't advise exactly where it should be set for you because I don't have experience with your model boat.

Do you have tilt/trim on your engine? If you don't it should be set at about perpendicular when the boat is running on plane. Not to be rude, but if you have tilt/trim, do you know how it should be used? (This can affect steering performance.)

I (the OP)have owned and operated a fishing boat my entire life, I am 77 years old, a vietnam vet. The things I left out of my orginal post should have been obvious to the reader.

all 170PFX boats are stick steering. All 70 HP Yamaha 4-stroke engines have tilt/trim. The trim tab has been adjusted. The cavitation plate is in the proper position.

I looked up the NFB system you suggested and found for myself it was for a console steering wheel.

Now thats out of the way, do you know anything about a stick steer boat?

"One-3Lb-er"
PB= 3Lb 4 OZ
Texarkana, TX
Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11323403 01/05/16 03:08 AM
G
grout-scout Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Now it seems obvious to me what the problem is.

Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11323480 01/05/16 03:35 AM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Sir,

How can you say " The things I left out of my original post should have been obvious to the reader."? That is a ludicrous statement. Info left out is quite often a factor in solving a "mystery" problem. All we have to go on are the words posted when someone is asking for help. As for a 170PFX boat being a stick steer boat, it would be fair for you to state this when asking for help. I picked up on it in a reply where you mentioned the "stick". Note that an extremely small percentage of boats are stick steer. Many people have never even seen one; some may not even be aware of their existence. People who try to help you are not likely to know your model boat is one of the less than the probable .01% of all boats that have stick steering. I didn't look it up immediately because of the rarity of stick steering.

None of us can read your mind. As for how long you've operated a boat, that may have nothing to do with whether or not you know how to operate your current boat correctly, so I asked for more info. Here's an example about myself: I might have run aluminum boats with a 25HP tiller motor for 30 years, but then buy a 21 foot boat with a 250HP Mercury on it. Would my 30 years of experience have me understand how to run that 250HP on a boat at 70 mph? ....nope.

Since YOU are the one wanting help, you can make it easier on those who try to assist by giving the "obvious" pertinent info. I have not dealt with motors as small as yours in a while, and rarely with Yamaha. You seem put off that I didn't know your particular engine had tilt and trim. Your info did not initially reveal it was a 4 stroke. What if you had a 25 year old commercial 2 stroke on there? Would that have had trim? Maybe not.

In my opinion, now that I know the whole scoop: 70 HP is a lot to have on stick steering. I wouldn't want it, and I'm almost 20 years younger than you. I guess I could say it should have been obvious that a rig like that will drive like a Mack truck set up like that, but you sure saved a lot, right? The way to fix your problem is to spend enough money to buy enough boat with steering to handle the outboard chosen. Enjoy.

Re: Hydraulic Steering [Re: one-3lb-er] #11324492 01/05/16 06:09 PM
F
fordnut Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Do you mean something like this?

http://www.ezyglide.com/hydraulic-steering#!__hydraulic-steering

[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread