Page 1 of 2 1 2
Changing times... #11311583 12/30/15 01:55 PM
C
crabtrap Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I've been kayak fishing a long time and frequent many such forums. It seems the new trend in kayak fishing is to "reinvent the wheel". Some new items are somewhat helpful (such as the pedal type propulsion systems ,but they have their drawbacks)...most are not.
"Kayaks" now a days resemble little of their birth right, made heavy and wide, and outfitted with every imaginable piece of fishing electronics/gear. New users have almost no idea on paddling technique and boat position management because its not needed. This trend has driven the price of little plastic boats through the roof, great for the dealers, not so much for the end users. The forums (in general now, not always) have turned into a game of "one up man ship".
With this in mind, I will leave the forum to the stauts quo and be fishing more and typing less...bye.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311594 12/30/15 02:02 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Although I agree with some of your comments, I do not feel that it's turned the sport into a "one up man ship" style sport. That's only if you let it become that way. While some may buy the biggest and nicest rigs money can buy, they may also not be able to fish worth a lick. Same thing goes for bass boats.

Nonetheless, good luck fishing and tight lines!

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311626 12/30/15 02:15 PM
T
The Black Hammer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
I totally agree with RJ. We can all agree the biggest and baddest kayak out there is the Hobie Pro Angler. But not everyone wants one of those. I have 4 kayaks, 3 Natives and 1 Pescador Pro. It all comes down to user preference. I know most of the guys I fish with at least are not trying to one up on anyone else, but just wants the right vessel to make their time on the water more enjoyable.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311628 12/30/15 02:17 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Kayaks had to morph a bit from the original typical design to make them broadly applicable to more fishing opportunities. But, I generally agree with your sentiment.

I like to fish from mine with a rather stripped down kayak rigging: one or two rods, a couple of Plano tackle boxes with targeted lures for that day.

That is what feels best to me, not a vessel loaded down to the gills with every imaginable add on.

Brad

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311697 12/30/15 02:46 PM
M
Matty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Personally I welcome the innovation. It makes it easier and safer to get out on the water. Its still possible to get an "original" kayak if that's your game. But innovation is generally for the better. I also like the internet, HD tv, smart phones and microwaves but I also still like to roast a weenie over a campfire now and then too.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311704 12/30/15 02:50 PM
L
LSM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I think kayak fishing means different things to different people, none of which is right or wrong. I completely understand your point of view; however, we are not all the same and kayaking is secondary to many anglers, including myself. On TFF, the main focus is fishing and the word "kayak" only appears as a sub-forum. I currently fish from a pedal yak, but still own a couple of paddle yaks. There are times when I like to just paddle around and I considered myself to be quite competent at doing so. However, when I am fishing, my kayak is just a tool to get me where I need to be and function efficiently while I am there. I don't fish for exercise and quite frankly don't enjoy being soaked while I am fishing, enter the pedal yak. It is not for everyone, but it suits me just fine, along with my fancy fish finder. Look how archery has evolved from a stick and some rawhide. There are purists everywhere and there is nothing wrong with that. I have noticed though that, even among purists, there are varying degrees. Surely, there are kayak purists who would scoff at anyone paddling anything other than a real kayak made of seal skin and wood or bone.

There is a huge variety of kayak anglers on all of the forums. Some angle inland, some offshore. Some angle for catfish, some for bass or reds. They do it from homemade yaks, paddleboards, pedal yaks, or something in between. I think it is safe to say that, amongst all the differences, we still share a fundamental love of nature and a never ending desire to land the big one out on the water.

Last edited by LSM; 12/30/15 02:58 PM.
Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11311709 12/30/15 02:52 PM
2FlyFish4 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
The cool thing about it is you can go about it however you like. It's not like your job were if the boss says your going to do it this way, you going to have to do it that way if you agree with it or not. I have one yak rigged up with nothing. The other yak has a power pole and depth finder. Which one I fish out of just depends on when, where and how I'll be fishing.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11312413 12/30/15 09:46 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
For me just a cool method of getting on the water to fly fish. The other plus is that you get to your desired fishing spot reasonably quickly without too much effort. You could ask what is a kayak or canoe? I like the idea of the cross between the two, a nice way to get to the fish.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11312619 12/30/15 11:29 PM
C
C-Frog Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I agree with the OP that now a days kayaks resemble little of their original design, but hell cars dont look like they did in 1950 either. The innovation in kayaks is only driven by the market, and the consumer (us) drives the market. We keep wanting more and better and they build it. Unfortunately price comes along with that.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11312842 12/31/15 12:54 AM
M
MtnDew Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I am sorry you feel that way, but your comments are just your opinion and to say that kayaks today and or kayak fisherman are different now and that is somehow worse is no better an opinion than the guy who doesn't want to be a kayaker, he wants to be a fisherman first. His style of kayaking and kayak don't hurt your style. If you think about it the first kayaks where just tools. Today's kayaks are just tools for a different type of kayaker, that's all.

Again sorry you feel that, way. I have never felt any problems from the forum and have had nothing but tons of help and made great friends.

-later

Re: Changing times... [Re: MtnDew] #11312917 12/31/15 01:10 AM
L
LSM Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: MtnDew
I am sorry you feel that way, but your comments are just your opinion and to say that kayaks today and or kayak fisherman are different now and that is somehow worse is no better an opinion than the guy who doesn't want to be a kayaker, he wants to be a fisherman first. His style of kayaking and kayak don't hurt your style. If you think about it the first kayaks where just tools. Today's kayaks are just tools for a different type of kayaker, that's all.

Again sorry you feel that, way. I have never felt any problems from the forum and have had nothing but tons of help and made great friends.

-later

In an earlier comment, I made a statement about my kayak being just a tool, but I never really considered the first kayaks as merely tools, which is a great observation. Do you think the ones who were content with wading around neck deep in the water were disappointed that someone came up with the idea of a kayak? It makes me wonder how some old world native would respond to modern day inventions. I can picture him looking at a modern kayak and a bass boat, side by side, and saying, "Why would you even want that kayak when you could have a bass boat!!!!!".

Last edited by LSM; 12/31/15 01:14 AM.
Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11313082 12/31/15 02:13 AM
J
jad0807 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
#kayakenvy

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11313845 12/31/15 03:08 PM
B
b737 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
first kayaks - necessity to stay alive and provide food for family.
Modern day - recreational luxury.
Even if you eat all the fish you catch, still probably cheaper to buy fish than fancy kayak.

I fish for fun (keep a few to eat) mostly catch and release.
I enjoy kayaks for the peace and exercise on the water. And most especially being closer to nature. Few places not close enough or to restricted on land, to get as close to nature as on the water.
I've had plenty of boats, pond, bass and bay , and pedal kayaks. Now it's just paddle kayak.
Choice not necessity.

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11313863 12/31/15 03:16 PM
S
Searsay Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Having been very entertained by this thread already... i decided to join.

LSM - you make a great point about tools and i think it is a good way to look at this whole conversation. We all know there are basic tools... and then you get the tools w/ all the bells and whistles.

1) At its most basic - a tool solves a particular problem in the best possible way. Originally (and to this day) there are some waters that you cannot access/fish/traverse w/o some sort of kayak/canoe or similar small boat. I don't care how fancy your kayak is... when it is the best and only way to access where you are trying to fish it ROCKS.
2) As you improve your tool it enables you to do things beyond what it was originally designed - will it be the "best".. maybe not but it will let you do things differently. ex. I can fish open water with a paddle kayak.. but a peddle is going to be a lot better... and a motorized even better.. and a full boat... even better. That said the paddle kayak will bring a unique perspective to the experience.
3)All the various gadgets and gizmos basically "pimp" our tool to enable us to do things either more effectively or in environments where our "tool" might not be the best... but any tool is better than none.. and as stated - the experience in a kayak is WAY different than a boat.

There is a reason most fishing around here is known as recreational fishing - we don't just use our tools (kayaks) to catch dinner(and it is not our only option) if it was we wouldn't be using them as much... we use them to have fun - and as such the experience of using it in sub-optimal environments like open water is part of what most of us enjoy.

Abraham Maslow said in 1966, "I suppose it is tempting, if the only tool you have is a hammer, to treat everything as if it were a nail." - replace hammer w/ kayak & nail w/ water... and we are WAY beyond being tempted... we are outright sinners on a regular basis of throwing our tool at any place we can put in!

Re: Changing times... [Re: crabtrap] #11314172 12/31/15 05:14 PM
M
Matt-F Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
The cool thing about this sport is that it becomes what you want to make of it, you can go as deep as you want into the technology or not. There is room for everyone whether you fish occasionally for enjoyment or you are driven tournament angler or make a living in your kayak. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle. I try to continuously improve in everything I do, whether it's my job, my relationships with family and friends or among many other things, kayak fishing. My quest for continuous improvement is what drives me to upgrade my equipment, my kayak, my electronics and my fishing skill set. If my pursuit of personal goals is perceived as "one up man ship" I could care less, because I do what I do and spend what I spend for me and no one else. If along the way I can help someone else get started or improve their experience while pursuing my own goals then that is icing on an already tasty cake for me. And if my drive to improve contributes to the need for product development and innovation on the part of kayak and fishing gear manufacturers then I'm really happy with that because I like having choices.

And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been...
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide