Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Black drum, redfish and ducks oh my. #11311084 12/30/15 02:31 AM
TxDuck24 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
Well as im writing this, pintails, widgeons, shovelers and of course some redheads are getting settled in around our area. We have seen a huge push in birds since the front initially hit. Well after Christmas I had the opportunity to finally take my Stepdad on a cast and blast this weekend. This was the first time in 24 years he has been duck hunting and a blast he had. Started off by hitting the redheads Saturday morning, the groups couldn't have worked any better then they did.

Followed by a but whipping ill never forget. Now its not common for my wife to outfish me, very uncommon to outfish the whole boat. She down right put it on us. But all in all we were happy, 3 man limits of black drum and 3 solid redfish that well, has been devoured since then.

Also on Saturday we had Chad Hill and Austin Hill for a father son duck trip. Guide Brandon Currie reported early that they had teal buzzing the spread like crazy with minimal success. With them landing within 7 yards and flying right over your face right at LST its always a challenge. How ever when it got a little lighter it was on.

Saturday night we relaxed over a bacon wrapped axis backstrap grilled with some bacon wrapped jalepenos and duck breast. Hoping the winds would lay down before we hit it sunday. We awoke to higher winds and a empty boat ramp. After our safety meeting we loaded the boats and hit a small bay that's not too far from the boat ramp. Stopped at my first blind and someone had put decoys out the night before, so I did the respectful thing and kept going. You always have to have a back up plan. We showed up to our second spot and the work was on, We made a blind on a mangrove blind on a sandy bottom right off a point. Well the lighter it got the higher the winds got. And turns out the redheads and bluebills wanted to be in our little cove and out of the wind. Tony and Chase were on point with some fine wingshooting. We got our redheads with some bluebills ( that were on the boat before the pic idk why) and we were back at the ramp before 9:30 am to beat the upcoming rain.

Capt. Hunter Harwell said he was struggling as he had a couple of groups of people on both sides on him after they had already set everything up. They gave it a shot and had a slow time. With us being done early and still had some time before the rain hit I opted to go grab Hunters Group and put them in the blind I was in to get them some shooting in. After we got the groups situated I brought my group in and we got cleaned up, with in 30 minutes I had a phone call saying they were done with there redheads, crippled some buffleheads and was ready to come in. All before the rain hit.

Ruffling Feather's Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
U.S.C.G Licensed
936-671-3407
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: Black drum, redfish and ducks oh my. [Re: TxDuck24] #11312827 12/31/15 12:51 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post! Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide