Forums59
Topics1,039,936
Posts13,972,720
Members144,225
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313051 12/31/15 01:57 AM
SAKS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Doesnt matter what technique your using. Once he's hooked and gets into heavy vegetation your rod better be strong enough to get him out. I think that's what he was getting at.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313083 12/31/15 02:14 AM
L
lizardfliper Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Mark Perry, i just looked at that 8' levante megabass rod and that sucker looks awsome. I'm glad you brought that rod into the conversation because I've never heard of it. I would consider buying one especially at 200$. I've always thought a 954 imx flip punch rod would be a happy medium. Enough tip to throw swimbaits or a rigs, but heavy enough rod to put 25 flouro or 50-65lb braid on and lean on them.

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313102 12/31/15 02:27 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
F
I use a 7'3 mh with braid and have lost every few flipping and pitching fish ever. Now if your flipping mates that are so thick you have to use a 2oz weight then you will have to beef up your rod and line. Just like you would if you were throwing a 3oz swimbait like would you really try to throw it on a medium light casting rid with 10lb line? Gotta stop over thinking it.

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: catslayer] #11313285 12/31/15 03:51 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: catslayer
Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
[quote=Mark Perry]

I have six I built like this. We have been using them for many years down here on Rayburn. 8' for light weight flipping around structure (leverage to get around objects) and 7'4"-7'6" for flipping grass. 8hours of flipping a 1.5oz jig with a 8'er wears the wrist out. Punching you don't need the 8' of leverage.

P.s. I set my drags to take some of the hook set. being 6'6" this is critical.

you do realize you lose leverage to the fish the longer your rod is... You are on the short end of the lever, he gets a TON more out of it pulling on that great big long rod at the very end than you get with your 12 inches of rod your holding onto. Ever tie a big catfish on a rope for a stringer, and he can PULL for all he is worth, but its like ehh... you only weigh 30 lbs fish he can barley pull your arm around. but put him on the end of 12 foot rod. it is a BATTLE...

Now, having a better ANGLE to pull the fish away from cover because the pull is from more above the fish sure I get that.

I've been amazed how many of the pros in that BASS university deal say they "Don't use drag" they lock it down and thumb the reel... not saying I do, the idea scares me, but I may try this year some.

I'm sorry I did not explain myself better. When I said " (leverage to get around objects)". Sorry you had to correct my comment.

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: Andrew Y'Barbo] #11313363 12/31/15 04:20 AM
F
Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
Online Embarrased
TFF Team Angler
F
Originally Posted By: catslayer
[quote=Mark Perry]

I have six I built like this. We have been using them for many years down here on Rayburn. 8' for light weight flipping around structure (leverage to get around objects) and 7'4"-7'6" for flipping grass. 8hours of flipping a 1.5oz jig with a 8'er wears the wrist out. Punching you don't need the 8' of leverage.

P.s. I set my drags to take some of the hook set. being 6'6" this is critical.

you do realize you lose leverage to the fish the longer your rod is... You are on the short end of the lever, he gets a TON more out of it pulling on that great big long rod at the very end than you get with your 12 inches of rod your holding onto. Ever tie a big catfish on a rope for a stringer, and he can PULL for all he is worth, but its like ehh... you only weigh 30 lbs fish he can barley pull your arm around. but put him on the end of 12 foot rod. it is a BATTLE...

Now, having a better ANGLE to pull the fish away from cover because the pull is from more above the fish sure I get that.

I've been amazed how many of the pros in that BASS university deal say they "Don't use drag" they lock it down and thumb the reel... not saying I do, the idea scares me, but I may try this year some.

I'm sorry I did not explain myself better. When I said " (leverage to get around objects)". Sorry you had to correct my comment.

Andrew take it easy bud you were throwing a swim jig on 10lb mono on Sam Rayburn bud maybe you can learn from this thread! Do whatever catches fish and don't let them break you off.

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313420 12/31/15 05:03 AM
Fish Killer Online Happy
Big Sexy
Online Happy
Big Sexy
Some people must not understand basics physics and a fulcrum point
Little alone the compounded forces of an loaded/tensions compound arc leverage of a modern composite rod

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313431 12/31/15 05:20 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Or some people are not man enough to handle a big pole. roflmao

Honestly I can care less. I know what I've done. I know what works when you get 7+ pound fish in 10' deep willow trees. By having the fulcrum close to me, the tip of the rod moves more. I can achieve a faster tip speed while taking up more slack. I can handle a 8' Rod because of my size. Strength pulling is not an issue

But I'll give it to y'all. You butchered my comment with a physics book. I was wrong. I need a 6' spinning reel. bang

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11313559 12/31/15 12:58 PM
Fish Killer Online Happy
Big Sexy
Online Happy
Big Sexy
I flip with a 7'6" heavy or med heavy rod. Extra fast tip

When I set the hook I want the fish to move towards me and out of the junk The longer for moves more line and gets them going in the right direction

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: Andrew Y'Barbo] #11313883 12/31/15 03:24 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Or some people are not man enough to handle a big pole.

Not sure I know what to think about this....especially from a guy that's 6'6"

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: WillieKetchum] #11313940 12/31/15 03:41 PM
Fish Killer Online Happy
Big Sexy
Online Happy
Big Sexy
Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Or some people are not man enough to handle a big pole.

Not sure I know what to think about this....especially from a guy that's 6'6"

Only 6'6"? I remember my sophmore year

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11314001 12/31/15 04:11 PM
J
Jarrett Latta Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
J
All that matters is if they get to the boat.

That and tournament results...

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: Jarrett Latta] #11314008 12/31/15 04:14 PM
W
WillieKetchum Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

BS!! None of that matters. Being in a shiny boat with a jersey on is what really matters!

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: WillieKetchum] #11314055 12/31/15 04:24 PM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum
Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

BS!! None of that matters. Being in a shiny boat with a jersey on is what really matters!

A flat bill hat along with some sponsor shorts!

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11314131 12/31/15 04:54 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
To go with that flat bill....Don't forget the sponsor boxers decorated with brand logos in the rear - for when those sponsor shorts sag....

Re: Is a big heavy 8ft Rod with no stretch braided line over kill for flipping, pitching and punching?? what is your opinion? [Re: ChrisPowellFishing] #11314228 12/31/15 05:29 PM
N
NoWeighers Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
N
I do believe that it is up to the individual to find what works best for him.. If you are loosing a lot of fish because you could not move the fish out of the cover, whatever it may be, before he knitted you a blanket down there then you need more stick.. And more line probably..

That being said, it is all about matching your equipment to the conditions.. And I won't get in a one rod is better than another discussion with you.. But you do need some quality equipment if you expect it to get the job done and hold up for a lifetime or for a long time..

I am no expert on mat fishing.. But I know a little about heavy brush fishing.. And a few years ago down here on Falcon if you were fishing with anything that had MH on it you were not gonna get it done..

It was probably Falcon that got a lot of this super heavy equipment to the forefront in manufacturers minds for a few years.

But truthfully on most lakes that stuff is overkill..

But I will tell you this.. If you plan on coming to Falcon in the next two years, don't put that beast of a rod in the yard sale pile just yet.. You're gonna need it..

Did not mean to turn this into a Falcon post.. But I do believe fishing Falcon in the heavy cover had some influence on a lot of rod manufacturers.. And I know for a fact it had influence on a few..

James Bendele
Falcon Lake Tackle
"On the eighth day, Man invented the Fish Hook."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide